Hardware Graphically, how well does the Nintendo Switch par up to the PS3

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but the ps3 is nearly 12 years old, how can that be anything really to brag about?

what about comparing the console to the last gen systems (PS4/XBX1) which released four years ago?

for a company that brags about innovation its released a system in the year 2017 that is inferior to consoles released in 2013 and its fans get excited because it has a game with better graphics when comparing to a console released in 2006.

hmmmmm
It's portable.
You can't take a Playstation on the go (well, at least comfortably without carrying around a bunch of wires and the TV & console.)

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
but the ps3 is nearly 12 years old, how can that be anything really to brag about?

what about comparing the console to the last gen systems (PS4/XBX1) which released four years ago?

for a company that brags about innovation its released a system in the year 2017 that is inferior to consoles released in 2013 and its fans get excited because it has a game with better graphics when comparing to a console released in 2006.

hmmmmm
Someone that is such a seriously insecure person that needs to brag about a video game system probably would benefit of some sessions at the psychologist.

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

hmmmmm
The PS4 and Xbone came out 3 years ago, don't stretch the truth. Also both the PS4 and Xbone are current gen consoles, i don't think you understand how gens works.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The PS4 and Xbone are last gen. Now it's the PS4 Pro and the Xbone S
All of that is in the same generation.
All is compatible and competing against one other (hence generation).
This is the reason all Wii U/Xbox One (and S)/PS4 (and Pro)/Switch are in the same generation, because they are contemporary and compete against each other.
Well, but the Wii U is like the Dreamcast of the generation and had to leave early.

PS: In the same way Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, etc. are all fourth generation.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is freaking ridiculous. Switch is significantly more powerful, but exactly how much more is hard to measure, because you're comparing apples to oranges. Really difficult to compare different architectures, and I'd be willing to bet that almost nothing really utilized the ps3 to it's maximum potential, and we've only seen the tip of the iceberg as to what the switch might be able to pull off once devs have more sophisticated toolsets and become more familiar with its inner workings.

Reactions: PkPizza

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS4 and Xbone came out 3 years ago, don't stretch the truth. Also both the PS4 and Xbone are current gen consoles, i don't think you understand how gens works.

Fine, 3 years nearly four..... point being? ill get back to this.

You claim i dont know how console gens work, yet your the one getting it wrong.

When any console company launch a completely new console - that is whats called the next generation, ill break it down for you.

PS1 - N64 < GENERATION
PS2 - XBX - GNC < GENERATION
PS3 - 360 - WII < GENERATION
PS4 - XBX1 - WII U < GENERATION
PS5? - SCRP? - SWITCH < GENERATION

PS4 Pro/Mini XBX1s are still the same gen console with slight improvements, like consoles before it have revised models (doesnt make them a new gen)

and to bring it back on track (because we all know the fans love to take it off track to defend).

This is a console released in 2017 and its got people comparing it to a PS3 that was released in 2006.

So i am confused as to why this is something to get the fans excited, i mean really am lost, are you all back on the graphic wagon now getting all excited because a game that a console that was released in 2006 is finaly coming to nintendo 11 years later and your bragging that after 11 years it has slightly better graphics?

sorry but youd think a console released in 2017 would surpass anything that the ps3 could do.

i mean come on, the ps3 hardware is over 11 years old, lets be logical here and compare it to most recent consoles on the market....... ohh wait we know it cant, so its like you go compare to a system that is clearly inferior (but old) to try make it sound better.

you wouldnt compare is PS4 to a Spectrum and be like, graphics and resolution are better now would you.

so lets not again quote and try take it off topic because you get upset, the simplicity is that, are fans excited by comparing graphics to a retro system really?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You claim i dont know how console gens work, yet your the one getting it wrong.

When any console company launch a completely new console - that is whats called the next generation, ill break it down for you.
No, that is not how it works.
Generations are grouped as contemporary hardware that competed against each other.
If a company decides to release 5 consoles in a year, each one a succesor to the other, with similar characteristics, and along all that time competing against the same products from rivals, all those 5 consoles belong to the same generation.
Otherwise, we would be in the 100th generation considering all the different variants of the Master System (Mark I, II, III) released by SEGA, each one a "succesor" to the previous.

PS: And no, those consoles were not forward compatible, and they are all classified as third generation.

i mean come on, the ps3 hardware is over 11 years old, lets be logical here and compare it to most recent consoles on the market....... ohh wait we know it cant, so its like you go compare to a system that is clearly inferior (but old) to try make it sound better.
You are delusional. It is awesome how much you try to twist the original intent of a thread trying to adhere it to your narrative.
The original intent of the OP is to find if as lame as it sounds does it even compare to the PS3, he is not trying to make it sound better (that is your delusion), he is actually very pessimistic about it, perhaps you should be friends actually.
It is stupid, but I will have to tell you to check how much have you twisted the original meaning. It is shameless of you.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: Thirty3Three

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that is not how it works.
Generations are grouped as contemporary hardware that competed against each other.
If a company decides to release 5 consoles in a year, each one a succesor to the other, with similar characteristics, and along all that time competing against the same products from rivals, all those 5 consoles belong to the same generation.
Otherwise, we would be in the 100th generation considering all the different variants of the Master System (Mark I, II, III) released by SEGA, each one a "succesor" to the previous.

PS: And no, those consoles were not forward compatible, and they are all classified as third generation.

You are delusional. It is awesome how much you try to twist the original intent of a thread trying to adhere it to your narrative.
The original intent of the OP is to find if as lame as it sounds does it even compare to the PS3, he is not trying to make it sound better (that is your delusion), he is actually very pessimistic about it, perhaps you should be friends actually.
It is stupid, but I will have to tell you to check how much have you twisted the original meaning. It is shameless of you.

ok

end of the day is this topic not comparing a game to that same game on the ps3 and is it not aiming to see how it pars up to the ps3?

bugger me, its what the headline is.

and sorry but as the generation thing, think you missed it, you kinda said the same as what i was saying but you for some reason are trying to argue what i said..... the switch in short is nintendos next gen console.

my whole point is and has been, what value is there in comparing a game to a ps3, is it for the fans to jump on the graphic wagon (like they did with the wii u when comparing ps3 ported titles?)

maybe i am missing the point but, Graphically, how well does the switch par up to the ps3?

a console from 2003.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ok

end of the day is this topic not comparing a game to that same game on the ps3 and is it not aiming to see how it pars up to the ps3?

bugger me, its what the headline is.

and sorry but as the generation thing, think you missed it, you kinda said the same as what i was saying but you for some reason are trying to argue what i said..... the switch in short is nintendos next gen console.

my whole point is and has been, what value is there in comparing a game to a ps3, is it for the fans to jump on the graphic wagon (like they did with the wii u when comparing ps3 ported titles?)

maybe i am missing the point but, Graphically, how well does the switch par up to the ps3?

a console from 2003.
If you were saying the same as me, sorry I misunderstood your post.
What I meant is that the Wii U was Nintendo's failed attempt at Gen 8th, and the Switch is its retry at that same generation.
It still competes with the PS4 (and Pro), and Xbox One (and Scorpio).
(and it still falls shorts from the side of specs)

If that is what you meant, then yes I agree.
If someone wants to compare it with a PS3, nevertheless, I see no problem there, perhaps they want to know it has comparable capabilities because they liked the PS3 or something. But FOR SURE it is not competing with a dead console, so it is just a "want to know" kind of question, it is not competing with a (99%) dead console that is not in its generation for sure, so they are not asking "should I buy this or a PS3?", if that is what you mean.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were saying the same as me, sorry I misunderstood your post.
What I meant is that the Wii U was Nintendo's failed attempt at Gen 8th, and the Switch is its retry at that same generation.
It still competes with the PS4 (and Pro), and Xbox One (and Scorpio).
(and it still falls shorts from the side of specs)

ahh no sorry i wasnt saying that, the switch is not the same gen because it is a completely new system so its nintendo's next gen.
the switch is nintendo's next gen system, its always been the case, new console new generation.

PS1-N64 are of the same geneartion
PS2 - CUBE are of the same generation
PS3 - WII are of the same generation
PS4 - WII U are of the same generation.

but the wii u failed.

Nintendo release a new console - this is nintendo's next generation.

so what i don't get is, because its released during the period which other consoles are still on the market, if your saying the switch is the same gen as the PS4/XBX1 because its whats on the market at this time, but then when the PS3 launched the PS2 was still actively selling and did so for a fair few years afterward, so that didnt make the PS3 the same gen as the PS2.

personally i always thought nex gen console was new console taking it to the next gen.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ahh no sorry i wasnt saying that, the switch is not the same gen because it is a completely new system so its nintendo's next gen.
the switch is nintendo's next gen system, its always been the case, new console new generation.

but the wii u failed.

so what i don't get is, because its released during the period which other consoles are still on the market, if your saying the switch is the same gen as the PS4/XBX1 because its whats on the market at this time, but then when the PS3 launched the PS2 was still actively selling and did so for a fair few years afterward, so that didnt make the PS3 the same gen as the PS2.

personally i always thought nex gen console was new console taking it to the next gen.
Well, that have been the consensus in the past, failed attempts are considered just failed attempts, and whole new consoles that release to compete in the same era against the same rivals are still considered in the same generation.
That is the reason I gave the historical example of the Sega Mark I, Mark II, and Mark III (this last one the Master System). Those are different consoles, not forward compatible, that were afterwards considered all belonging to the Third Generation competing against the NES.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

but the wii u failed.

Switch is still this gen along with Wii U, PS4 and Xboner

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe its already happening, but apparently there's already a Switch PlayStation of some sort in the works. :huh: I thought Sony gave up on the hand held market. So far its all just concepts and designs,

Last edited by petethepug,

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something doesn't really seem right about this, I got like 8+ pages of replies and somehow no one got on the poll to "vote". But eh, whatever. lol
Reguardless though, I think the majority say Switch is more powerful (graphical capabilities) to the PS3

S

Saiyan Lusitano

switch is abit more powerful than wiiu and the wiiu was already abit more powerful than the ps3 ...
Yes, but we won't see how good it really is until Mario Odyssey.

If anyone wants to compare PS3 to WiiU/Switch, check out Project Zero 5. That game looks visually amazing.

Reactions: Akenathon1

Priyam

Trophies
XP
Country
India
PS3 = 1080P
NS = 900P

And that only applies to games that actually do use use those display options. Though we do have to note that Switch is using Nvidia which technically they said the Tegra X1 exceeds ps3 and xbox 360. Is a matter of opinion, so is subjective. if you talking about facts and statistics, then there you go. :P

Wow, that's not a very nice thing to say. The switch also have a amaximum resolution of 1080P if you are talking shit like this.
LOZ:BOW won't even run in 720p on a PS3 compared to 900p on a switch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah gotta buy 3 1tb SD cards for 3ds the entire libraries need archived in my home
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    >buys x3 1TB SD cards
    >stores the entire 3DS library on them
    >installs CFW
    >realised why I wasted loads of money and resources
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol no I clean my sets
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cause it's in my home ready to go
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like uremum
    But 100 games on SNES and Genesis and GBA then TG16 and NES and GB and GBC then all the other random systems and arcade games it all adds up lol
    +1
    Virtual Boy alone has probably 5 games!!! Lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I won't mention any names in chat but some of us wastes $300 on preloaded hdds :tpi:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, The PS5 had none.
    +2
    Lol I spent more than that on a stuffed 4TB drive lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I've yet to fill the 1tb internal drive on my ps5
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, 1) except final fantasy 16. 2) why would I have a console's whole catalogue if most of the games are either shovelware or terrible games?
    Kind of a waste, but the allure of all those games over 100,000
    Some shovel ware with low ratings you might enjoy more than the ratings would sugest
    +1
    Cruisn on the Wii is one of my personal examples of that, it's considered one of the worst games of all time, I loved it and completed it several times.
    +1
    The trick for me was to go into the settings and crank up the Wiimote sensitivity to the max and it gets twitchy but you can win that way lol
    Lots of other games I enjoyed that reviews would say otherwise lol
  • btei @ btei:
    lethal company servers are down rn
  • btei @ btei:
    my pocket pikachu is going crazy rn
    Pocket Pikachu sounds dirty lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    True lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got bored and started throwing grapes at my friend