slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
Guild McCommunist said:
On the contrary, it's easy to make anything sound good if you only focus on the positives. The negatives should be focused on when critiquing anything because if something is truly good, it won't have many significant negatives. If everyone focused on the positives we'd all be bobble-headed optimists who vomit sunshine everywhere.

You have to made admit Nintendo was a little lazy on NSMB Wii. There's a column on IGN about it (surprisingly).

You're 100% right. But, you didn't mention any positives in your previous post either. (Also, lol @ IGN)

And btw, I hate the "causal vs h4rdc0r3" talk. I think it's a lame excuse for people to bash a game they don't like.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
B-Blue said:
Guild McCommunist said:
On the contrary, it's easy to make anything sound good if you only focus on the positives. The negatives should be focused on when critiquing anything because if something is truly good, it won't have many significant negatives. If everyone focused on the positives we'd all be bobble-headed optimists who vomit sunshine everywhere.

You have to made admit Nintendo was a little lazy on NSMB Wii. There's a column on IGN about it (surprisingly).

You're 100% right. But, you didn't mention any positives in your previous post either. (Also, lol @ IGN)

And btw, I hate the "causal vs h4rdc0r3" talk. I think it's a lame excuse for people to bash a game they don't like.

+1, again.

Although not all casual vs. hardcore talk is to bash a game, alot of time it can lead to bashing a whole system (the wii is definitely safe in this aspect
rolleyes.gif
).

Intimidator88

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just have started playing this and the touch only thing is getting on my nerves already i mean they really should make a optin to be able to use either 1 and the whole cartoon link doesnt really bother me but id really like see another 1 like Oot and TP soon
smile.gif

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow. Spirit Tracks was probably my favorite Zelda game since MM.

The puzzles were fun, and honestly, people are still complaining about the controlls? Jesus. I loved pretty much everything about this game. I disagree with your crappy review.

smileipb2.png

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
B-Blue said:
Guild McCommunist said:

+1, again.

Although not all casual vs. hardcore talk is to bash a game, alot of time it can lead to bashing a whole system (the wii is definitely safe in this aspect
rolleyes.gif
).

I'm not bashing the system at all. I ONLY own, for this generation, a DS and a Wii. No PSP, no Xbox 360, no PS3. So I'm pretty much with all the ins and outs of the Wii and the DS.

The thing with "casual vs. hardcore" is that it's near impossible to make a game that satisfies both of them. Either you make too many compromises in the casual category that it hurts the overall game or you don't make enough sacrifices to have it appeal to the casual crowd. The Wii and DS suffer the most from this syndrome. NSMB Wii was a game that tried to appeal to both hardcore and casual crowds. Sure, it was marketed as that "family friendly, casual gamer's game because it has SUPER FUCKING GUIDE MAN!", but quite honestly Super Guide wouldn't make that game any easier. All it would do is make you realize how badly you suck by showing some super pro do the level in top form, then either ask you to do the impossible and replicate that or skip the level. It's a terribly flawed and awful system. As for Zelda in this case, it suffers from the syndrome too. Nintendo took a full-on stylus approach because apparently casual gamers too retarded to memorize simple things like "A button is to slash" or to have basic life skills to actually play a game that has been played with 10 face buttons in the past (that includes the 4 D-Pad directions and the Start/Select). So they throw in stylus controls for the entire thing without any option to use face buttons and it suffers from lots of poor design choices in that case. It's not a "lame excuse" at all. With this generation and this new demographic entering the picture, many a game are scrambling to fill the gap for both casual and hardcore gamers but in the end make a flawed game.

And yeah, it's to "bash a game" because it's criticism. It feels like you're implying I shouldn't use techniques to bash a game, when if a game was good, those avenues for the techniques wouldn't be there (or as obvious).

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I'm not bashing the system at all. I ONLY own, for this generation, a DS and a Wii. No PSP, no Xbox 360, no PS3. So I'm pretty much with all the ins and outs of the Wii and the DS.

The thing with "casual vs. hardcore" is that it's near impossible to make a game that satisfies both of them. Either you make too many compromises in the casual category that it hurts the overall game or you don't make enough sacrifices to have it appeal to the casual crowd. The Wii and DS suffer the most from this syndrome. NSMB Wii was a game that tried to appeal to both hardcore and casual crowds. Sure, it was marketed as that "family friendly, casual gamer's game because it has SUPER FUCKING GUIDE MAN!", but quite honestly Super Guide wouldn't make that game any easier. All it would do is make you realize how badly you suck by showing some super pro do the level in top form, then either ask you to do the impossible and replicate that or skip the level. It's a terribly flawed and awful system. As for Zelda in this case, it suffers from the syndrome too. Nintendo took a full-on stylus approach because apparently casual gamers too retarded to memorize simple things like "A button is to slash" or to have basic life skills to actually play a game that has been played with 10 face buttons in the past (that includes the 4 D-Pad directions and the Start/Select). So they throw in stylus controls for the entire thing without any option to use face buttons and it suffers from lots of poor design choices in that case. It's not a "lame excuse" at all. With this generation and this new demographic entering the picture, many a game are scrambling to fill the gap for both casual and hardcore gamers but in the end make a flawed game.

And yeah, it's to "bash a game" because it's criticism. It feels like you're implying I shouldn't use techniques to bash a game, when if a game was good, those avenues for the techniques wouldn't be there (or as obvious).

Woah there, I never said you were bashing the system I was just saying some people use the hardcore vs. casual argument to do that. Zelda's controls have nothing to do with casual gamers, have you not noticed how bad it is to use a d-pad in a full 3D enviroment? You never really go in the actual direction you want and honestly it just ends up hurting your fingers at times, whenever I play kingdom hearts or PS0 I'm constantly pressing up one second then right, then up again. It's fucking annoying and I hate it. The stylus controls is a perfect fix because then you go exactly where you want to go, and it just makes things less complicated. Sure it may have also been put into place to appeal to casual gamers but it's still a good fix for the d-pad in a full 3D environment.

Ugh Nintendo should have just added an analog stick to the DSi.

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Woah there, I never said you were bashing the system I was just saying some people use the hardcore vs. casual argument to do that. Zelda's controls have nothing to do with casual gamers, have you not noticed how bad it is to use a d-pad in a full 3D enviroment? You never really go in the actual direction you want and honestly it just ends up hurting your fingers at times, whenever I play kingdom hearts or PS0 I'm constantly pressing up one second then right, then up again. It's fucking annoying and I hate it. The stylus controls is a perfect fix because then you go exactly where you want to go, and it just makes things less complicated. Sure it may have also been put into place to appeal to casual gamers but it's still a good fix for the d-pad in a full 3D environment.

But the game isn't full 3-D, it's a top-down perspective. Last time I checked, D-Pad controls worked perfectly on Zelda games like that.

EDIT: I will agree with you for the D-Pad in a 3-D world though. Super Mario 64 DS was a bitch to control.

D

Deleted_171835

Guild McCommunist said:
DeltaBurnt said:
B-Blue said:
Guild McCommunist said:

+1, again.

rolleyes.gif
).

+1

Nintendo always seems to try to appeal to both the casual and hardcore side. They fail at pleasing either side. I only have a Wii and DS too.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:

Well, I was using the "casual vs. hardcore" argument quite a lot and you implied that that argument is basically just going after the system.

Anyway, I've never, ever, ever noticed how D-Pad controls are broken in a 3-D environment. I played Super Mario 64 DS with the D-Pad and it actually worked better than the analog stick (on the original SM64) for me. I've never had any control fidgets in KH or PS0. The stylus here may be good on walking, but look at the other things. Rolling, slashing, turning, the standard things you take for granted in Zelda are now clumsily mapped to a touch screen alone.

Also, asdf is right. This game is a top-down perspective, essentially. It's in no way comparable to SM64, Kingdom Hearts, or Phantasy Star 0. With that being said, would you think this game would work with D-Pad/face buttons, not counting the stylus-only features? I'm talking purely core Zelda concepts, walking slashing, shielding, etc.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
DeltaBurnt said:

Well, I was using the "casual vs. hardcore" argument quite a lot and you implied that that argument is basically just going after the system.

Anyway, I've never, ever, ever noticed how D-Pad controls are broken in a 3-D environment. I played Super Mario 64 DS with the D-Pad and it actually worked better than the analog stick (on the original SM64) for me. I've never had any control fidgets in KH or PS0. The stylus here may be good on walking, but look at the other things. Rolling, slashing, turning, the standard things you take for granted in Zelda are now clumsily mapped to a touch screen alone.

Also, asdf is right. This game is a top-down perspective, essentially. It's in no way comparable to SM64, Kingdom Hearts, or Phantasy Star 0. With that being said, would you think this game would work with D-Pad/face buttons, not counting the stylus-only features? I'm talking purely core Zelda concepts, walking slashing, shielding, etc.

I still stand by my argument that the stylus provides the much needed precision in a 3D environment such as Spirit Tracks. Even if you think d-pad controls are better that shouldn't affect the overall score. That's like giving Ocarina of Time a bad score because you wanted them to let you use your sword while on the horse (Twilight Princess ftw).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Guild McCommunist said:
DeltaBurnt said:

I still stand by my argument that the stylus provides the much needed precision in a 3D environment such as Spirit Tracks. Even if you think d-pad controls are better that shouldn't affect the overall score. That's like giving Ocarina of Time a bad score because you wanted them to let you use your sword while on the horse (Twilight Princess ftw).

For your Ocarina point...

A) The horse wasn't a big part at all. In fact, getting the horse was completely optional; you could beat the entire game with your noble steed. The horse was key in Twilight Princess
B) I do want to swing my mighty sword as I ride through the forests.
C) Your argument suggests that controls don't affect the score. No need to point out the flaw there.
D) Stylus vs. D-Pad is a preference, mainly. Some people like it, some don't. I'm not going to lie just to compensate my review for others opinions. That sounds ignorant and it kinda is, but that's what all reviews are. If we took EVERYONE'S opinion into count, all reviews would be completely level.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
DeltaBurnt said:
Guild McCommunist said:
DeltaBurnt said:

For your Ocarina point...

A) The horse wasn't a big part at all. In fact, getting the horse was completely optional; you could beat the entire game with your noble steed. The horse was key in Twilight Princess
B) I do want to swing my mighty sword as I ride through the forests.
C) Your argument suggests that controls don't affect the score. No need to point out the flaw there.
D) Stylus vs. D-Pad is a preference, mainly. Some people like it, some don't. I'm not going to lie just to compensate my review for others opinions. That sounds ignorant and it kinda is, but that's what all reviews are. If we took EVERYONE'S opinion into count, all reviews would be completely level.

A) Ok so bad analogy, I'm tired and I don't really want to spend time thinking up dumbshit analogies that probably won't even change your mind.
B) I know right!? That's the like only thing I looked forward too when I saw the first Twilight Princess trailer.
C) No I'm saying that your preference of controls (that you don't even know whether it'd work or not) shouldn't change the score. I mean sure you should include it saying "This game has stylus controls, however I wish it would include D-pad controls because it may be more enjoyable". It was like me saying in my Mighty Flip Champs review that I wished they took more advantage of the DSi's power to make a prettier (Ponies! ... That is all) game environment. Even though I wished it be included I didn't count off for it because the graphics were good originally, that's just something I'd like to see and something I'd think would work.
D) Opinion and fact, you need the perfect balance for a good review. Also what I said in C.

Why am I arguing with you? You gave a 7.7 and I gave a 8.0, our scores are similar, so our reviews must be the exact same! Scores tell a whole review! That's what I only look at!
(note this isn't pointed at you or anyone here, just a random joke I felt like putting in to say something about the people who only look at scores to "read" a review)

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I completely agree with your review.

I mean sure, it was a fun game while it lasted and it stopped me from being bored for a while.

But I also think that it wasn't epic, due to a lack of Ganondorf.
And the game was just simply too easy for me, which made it way too short.

It's not too bad, but it's not that good either.

TBH, I'm actually happy I 'acquired' it via internet, instead of paying full price for it at a games store.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
da_letter_a said:
I completely agree with your review.

I mean sure, it was a fun game while it lasted and it stopped me from being bored for a while.

But I also think that it wasn't epic, due to a lack of Ganondorf.
And the game was just simply too easy for me, which made it way too short.

It's not too bad, but it's not that good either.

TBH, I'm actually happy I 'acquired' it via internet, instead of paying full price for it at a games store.

You don't have to say you "acquired" it, no one really cares you people pirate here. Just as long as you don't post any links.

Also I think it's a funny way of looking at the game, instead of saying it's less epic because of non Ganondorf I'd aplaud Ninty for not sticking to the same old story.

Seriously the whole "Omg ganondorf, go through 3-4 dungeons, then go through a couple more dungeons to power up your master sword" is getting a little old. I especially like the story because it's not including the same old triforce/ganondorf/master sword story. But that's just my opinion. Also Ganondorf seems to get less and less epic every game (OoT's Ganondorf was better than TP's in my opinion), sorta like Bowser in almost every Mario game >.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I recommend getting a treadmill for cats