Homebrew GW + 11.3 kills a9hl?

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Its sysNAND only. Regardless if you have an old3DS or new3DS, if you launch Gateway's arm9loaderhax payload to boot Gateway CFW 11.3 sysNAND, Nintendo must've added a firm0/firm1 restore function for when you boot your 3DS, so since Gateway doesn't patch that, Nintendo can overwrite it to remove A9LH.
if only devs could confirm that. looks like it's the first and last time i try to help / tell people things on reddit since most of them think we're stupid enough to update from gateway and won't check if we were right.
thx for your detailed answer :) i'm relieved

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Its sysNAND only. Regardless if you have an old3DS or new3DS, if you launch Gateway's arm9loaderhax payload to boot Gateway CFW 11.3 sysNAND, Nintendo must've added a firm0/firm1 restore function for when you boot your 3DS, so since Gateway doesn't patch that, Nintendo can overwrite it to remove A9LH.
Wait, you're saying that, not only updating sysNAND to 11.3 on a CFW with no protection removes a9lh (already known), but also just booting sysNAND to 11.3 on a CFW with no protection would remove a9lh now??
Well on one hand that's scary, and on the other hand it's great so that Gateway will finally add protections to their CFW :D
Or they'll tell people to use an emuNAND -.-

Reactions: samiam144

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, you're saying that, not only updating sysNAND to 11.3 on a CFW with no protection removes a9lh (already known), but also just booting sysNAND to 11.3 on a CFW with no protection would remove a9lh now??
Well on one hand that's scary, and on the other hand it's great so that Gateway will finally add protections to their CFW :D
Or they'll tell people to use an emuNAND -.-

Or just don't use Gateway.

Reactions: ManuelKoegler

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Or just don't use Gateway.
I actually don't. I only do when I really need cheats (like when I was playing MHGen last year). So it's even more annoying for me to keep an emuNAND for a Gateway I don't use but may use later...
And yeah, I know about NTR. But it's even more annoying than Gateway.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wouldn't be shocked if they didn't.

Card has been out years, most will have gotten their moneys worth out of it. Sales have probably dried out now. Can't support the card forever.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's why they should open source their stuff, so that they can still make money out of it in 2017 (I mean, they'd still sell hardware) without everyone laughing at their outdated almost-everything, and so that everyone can have benefits from their stuff instead of having to face stupid choices.

Reactions: Quantumcat

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France
OP probably updated their console while using GW's CFW (whether it has been launched from anything else or not).

People have been warned for MONTHS that GW's CFW bricks N3DS/uninstalls a9lh on O3DS, it's their fault and only theirs if they're still using Gateway. Don't expect any kind of support from other people.

Last edited by TuxSH,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
That's why they should open source their stuff, so that they can still make money out of it in 2017 (I mean, they'd still sell hardware) without everyone laughing at their outdated almost-everything, and so that everyone can have benefits from their stuff instead of having to face stupid choices.
Yeah they could have software developed for it for free, and just rake in the money - seems so obvious doesn't it?? Maybe they know that it is possible to launch .3ds files from the SD card, and don't want to give devs the chance to work out how.

Reactions: Hayleia

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did you give the buyer the a9lh sysnand for the 3ds you sold? After all you no longer have any use for it as it won't work on any other 3ds. If they hardmod the 3ds the a9lh sysnand came from, they might want to use it.
nope but i still have it backuped on "box" or dropbox so if he asks i can give him.
didn't know that a hardmod would save me before getting pissed off and decided to sell it off

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That was extremely fast. How did you manage to sell a broken 3DS for the price of an N3DS?

Btw do you have emuNAND?
"almost" the same price in fact
sold my o3ds xl for 125€ in less than 5 min on "leboncoin" with 3 retail games and found a n3ds xl black and orange with mario maker, AC NL amiibo and mario bros 2 for 130€ at like... 10 km from home
rushed there and gave him 145€ :)

Cept

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would like to chime in and and say that testing this resulted in what op said; a9lh gone. I tested it on an o3DS that was updated to SysNAND 11.3 via Luma, then tried launching SysNAND GW mode through its payload. Black screen, powered it off, booted it back up. Other payloads & Luma config would not trigger on boot with their respective button holds. Homebrew apps on the homescreen are now inaccessible, and more than anything the 3DS boots w/o SD now (the 3DS was not set up with SDless a9lh). Brickwait users actually beware, LOL.

Last edited by Cept,
Reactions: haazet

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could a Gateway user with a hardmod try that with an emuNAND? I mean
  • update the emuNAND to 11.3 through Luma; should NOT kill a9lh for two reasons: Luma and emuNAND
  • boot the emuNAND with Gateway; shouldn't kill a9lh because emuNAND... ? Yeah, probably doesn't boot since Gateway doesn't support 11.3, but still, I'd like to know if the problem only occurs when booting sysNAND (which has always been a bad idea with Gateway...), which would seem more logical to me

Last edited by Hayleia, , Reason: added a "NOT", otherwise that's not really what I mean...

RyDog

Lazy Animal Crossing hacks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • update the emuNAND to 11.3 through Luma; should NOT kill a9lh for two reasons: Luma and emuNAND
  • boot the emuNAND with Gateway; shouldn't kill a9lh because emuNAND... ? Yeah, probably doesn't boot since Gateway doesn't support 11.3, but still, I'd like to know if the problem only occurs when booting sysNAND (which has always been a bad idea with Gateway...), which would seem more logical to me
I already confirmed that GW won't kill A9LH when updated/booted through emuNAND.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gateway uses an older NATIVE_FIRM. So it will just boot to a black screen on an emuNAND.

Also why are people seriously using Gateway on sysNAND? It's been well documented to not have FIRM0/1 protection.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I already confirmed that GW won't kill A9LH when updated/booted through emuNAND.
Sorry, now that I read page 2 again as a whole, I see you did update and didn't get a problem on your emuNAND but I asked because I didn't see anyone really state in one post that they updated on emuNAND and get no problem.

Gateway uses an older NATIVE_FIRM. So it will just boot to a black screen on an emuNAND.
I know that, and I wrote it in my post. But what the first post here states is that not only it boots to a black screen but it also removes a9lh. Just booting it, not updating in it. So that's why I asked if that also concerned emuNAND or if NAND redirection was effective before Nintendo removes a9lh at boot, if that's what's happening.

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wish i saw this thread before updating to 11.3 with a Luma+A9lh+Gateway setup. ugh... I updated while in Luma mode, and tried to launch GW after. Black screen. Shutdown, restarted, and bye-bye EVERYTHING :( So the only solution is a hardmod to flash an earlier fw if you have a nand backup?

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i wish i saw this thread before updating to 11.3 with a Luma+A9lh+Gateway setup. ugh... I updated while in Luma mode, and tried to launch GW after. Black screen. Shutdown, restarted, and bye-bye EVERYTHING :( So the only solution is a hardmod to flash an earlier fw if you have a nand backup?

Just out of Curiosity, why use Gateway if you're already using Luma? Because if it's cheats you need ntr would have you covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    call sps
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Hey mine helps me in the shower lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    We went to a place in a mall where they let you play with some consoles for like an hour
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I choose the nintendo switch and I played smash ultimate and Mario wonder
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    It was fun
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Also i'm back at my house
    Smash bros sounds like gay incest lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And Mario Wonder sounds like a Mario with old timers disease walking the streets lost.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shove a gerbil through a tube
    +2
    Warp pipe Ken lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ring actually helped and I didn't have to cuss out the guy in arabic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They help you delete some incriminating videos?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No you asked for proof that your wife was finally leaving
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh I had her chipped, I always know where she is.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I found where it was
    +1
    If I could halucinAte this is what I imagine it would look like?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Featuring Taylor swift
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, pubg should've never blown up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut do you mean? Pubg is alright, I play it with a few buddies online.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the game itself is ok, but it's influence is the problem
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Call of duty is a good Fortnite skin
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    call of duty and fortnite, ex-fucking-actly
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    without pubg popping off, fortnite wouldn't add battle royale, and call of duty wouldn't go even shittier than it did before because of blackout, warzone and dmz
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: without pubg popping off, fortnite wouldn't add battle royale, and call of duty wouldn't go even...