Zarxrax

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I keep seeing some outlandish argument come up again and again that for some reason, if the 3ds ever gets hacked, suddenly no one will ever release any more games on the system.

The DS was hacked within 1 year of its release, and yet it went on to become the most successful handheld system of all time.
The wii was also hacked quite quickly, and its still the fastest selling console of this generation.
Practically every successful console EVER has been hacked.

The real reason that games for the DS are starting to dry up can be attributed to other factors. The DS hardware is old. The graphics are ugly. Its time to move on. Gamers know this, and developers know it too. That's why there are relatively few good games still coming out. Once again, this happens with EVERY system ever.

L-Lawliet

Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly, loads of people keep mentioning the "Imagine" game series, saying that they're so prominent because of hacking. They aren't! It's because young girls that bought the Nintendo DS bought the Imagine games. If piracy was such a big problem, even those games wouldn't have continued to be made.

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The only system I know of that has been hurt by being hacked, is Dreamcast. Piracy was sooo easy on that system. In fact, it didn't even have to be hacked to play pirated games.

The DS is a great system, and still has good games coming out, DQ VI for an example off the top of my head, and it's been hacked. The 3DS, even if it does get hacked, will be just as great.

cyb3ritachi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
L-Lawliet said:
Exactly, loads of people keep mentioning the "Imagine" game series, saying that they're so prominent because of hacking. They aren't! It's because young girls that bought the Nintendo DS bought the Imagine games. If piracy was such a big problem, even those games wouldn't have continued to be made.

Exactly even if it really gets broken down up to the microchip, games will still be release the average person doesnt know and wat the average person doesnt know it wont hurt the sells. Many games will be sold and make until eventually a new handheld comes out that will replace this one and so on and on. Thats the cycle of this things seriously just bcuz something got hack in time record that only allows certain things for the time being(hope it still takes a while for full 3DS mode) it wont hurt the sells.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
QUOTE said:
Hacking the 3ds WONT stop people from releasing games on it
Thanks Mr. Obvious. These people NEED to make games in order to earn money and feed their families. But that's not the point. The point is, it becomes harder for these people to earn money if the system gets hacked and invaded by piracy. That's a fact.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
+1

Piracy has been around since the dawn of consoles and computers. It was "there" in the times of C64 tapes and it's here in the time of flash cards, and no console or computer ever suffered substantial damadge because of it.

"Imagine" games are frequent because of annoying parents who think it's a good idea to buy them for their children instead of "potentially gore-containing or otherwise messing up the kid's brain", "prominent" titles.

Don't you think that they wouldn't produce them (shovelware games) if they didn't SELL in the first place? They're quick-to-program and they generate profit. That's two in one, ladies and gentlemen.

If there's anything harmful to the video game industry, it's the worldwide propaganda of video games having harmful effects on a child's mind. It's this pseudo-psychological bullcrap you can hear from school councillors and other miserable failures at life that stalls the industry. Good titles often sell bad because... let's face it, most games are directed for a specific age group that doesn't generate income. It's the parent's decision whether the child plays "Imagine: Enviorimentalist Turd" or "Final Fantasy".

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Alright, would you want to make games for a system if it's been hacked in little under a day?
I wouldn't. Plus with that said, must companies don't just work with Nintendo.
Hacking a 3DS this early looks terrible on Nintendo's end.

L-Lawliet

Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
+1

Piracy has been around since the dawn of consoles and computers. It was "there" in the times of C64 tapes and it's here in the time of flash cards, and no console or computer ever suffered substantial damadge because of it.

"Imagine" games are frequent because of annoying parents who think it's a good idea to buy them for their children instead of "potentially gore-containing or otherwise messing up the kid's brain", "prominent" titles.

Don't you think that they wouldn't produce them if they didn't SELL in the first place?

If there's anything harmful to the video game industry, it's the worldwide propaganda of video games having harmful effects on a child's mind. It's this pseudo-psychological bullcrap you can hear from school councillors and other miserable failures at life that stalls the industry. Good titles often sell bad because... let's face it, most games are directed for a specific age group that doesn't generate income. It's the parent's decision whether the child plays "Imagine: Enviorimentalist Turd" or "Final Fantasy".
100% this.
It's kind of sad to stand in the local game shop and see clueless parents pick up a phoenix wright box or some other great game, look at the back, put it straight down and pick up some shovelware such as the "Imagine" series. It's nothing to do with piracy. Sometimes I like to help people find the right game for their kid.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
QUOTE said:
Hacking the 3ds WONT stop people from releasing games on it
Thanks Mr. Obvious. These people NEED to make games in order to earn money and feed their families. But that's not the point. The point is, it becomes harder for these people to earn money if the system gets hacked and invaded by piracy. That's a fact.
Thats not the argument being made by people .
Its that if the 3ds mode is hacked or hacked too soon that video game companies will look to other consoles and stop developing games for the 3ds .
Which is a not going to happen as the 3ds will probably run for the next 5 years minimum and there will be tons of games or franchises on it , and devs will just port existing ds games to 3ds with 3d mode.
Personally i want the 3ds flash cart asap and i would love to see a virtual boy emulator on it

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Alright, would you want to make games for a system if it's been hacked in little under a day?
Its just DS-Mode at the moment. Nobody has 3DS access i.e. the motherload Ninty will have sunk everything into protecting. I reckon it will take at least as long as the DSi took to hack but then again Nintendo did taunt hackers by saying their security was impenetrable.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

The Commodore has been hacked in under 1 second. It never had any security measutes at all, all you needed was a boombox with a record button and a twin cassete slot.

Sony released an SDK for the PlayStation with the entire source code for everyone to see, so that indie programmers could fiddle around with it, which also led to pirating the system quickly... and thus... ITS MASSIVE POPULARITY.

Besides, the 3DS isn't anywhere near being hacked, so what are we talking about here...? It's just the DS mode, no big suprise here. We knew Nintendo will fuck this up. AGAIN.

QUOTE(Jamstruth @ Feb 27 2011, 11:45 PM) Its just DS-Mode at the moment. Nobody has 3DS access i.e. the motherload Ninty will have sunk everything into protecting. I reckon it will take at least as long as the DSi took to hack but then again Nintendo did taunt hackers by saying their security was impenetrable.

Nobody hacked the DSi not because it's secure, but because nobody cares. DSi-Only games suck and aren't all that numerous. There was no "point" in hacking the DSi. Why would you want that? To access the camera? Please... Releasing a flash card with a CPU for enchanced performance was a far better idea.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Jamstruth said:
Its just DS-Mode at the moment. Nobody has 3DS access i.e. the motherload Ninty will have sunk everything into protecting. I reckon it will take at least as long as the DSi took to hack but then again Nintendo did taunt hackers by saying their security was impenetrable.
It maybe only DS-Mode, but no one ever wants to stop there. As well now we have the teams working on the 3DS already.
I am not 100% against 3DS hacking, but I am totally against it being hacked so early in it's life. Even a year into it's life would look horrible for Nintendo.

L-Lawliet

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
The acekard team have said that they're already working on 3DS mode.

IAmTheRad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even with the 3DS, shovelware will be made. It's a way for companies to sell a few units and make a few dollars. Face it, the DS right now is at it's end of life. The final 2 'big' names will be Pokemon Black & White (maybe Grey), and Okamiden. And those are the last 2 big names for the system, too.

tyrran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is like arguing they should have stopped making games for the DS because GBA flash carts ran on it almost immediately. There is a monstrous library of GBA games, but the DS' primary function was to play brand new titles, not old ones. This is same for the 3DS. Almost every developer ever is eager to jump on board the 3D train, make new copies of their old games that have a bit of polish to them and score another win.

"Most companies don't just work with Nintendo" is also pretty ridiculous. The 3DS has attracted more developers than any Nintendo system since the Super Famicom, and we've got movie companies roped in as well, looking for a new platform to push their animated features on a new horizon.

400,000 units in a single day, in Japan. There were only 800,000 of the virtual boy after a full year, globally. I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to go the distance with this little 3D puppy, even if people figured out how to run their old, non-3D games on it for free.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
While I do agree, people are less worried about the 3DS becoming a commercial success, since that's almost a guarantee. They're worried that Nintendo (or third party companies) will become reluctant to make quality titles, which make a lot less money than shovelware in the first place. It could be true, but at the same time, the DS is, like you said, really old already, so I can't blame them.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
what percent of 3ds buyers are hackers or flash cart owners 5% 10% 20% or even 50%
why would a developer care when they still have a huge target market to sell to and most people with flash carts at buy a few games so they are no worse of and could be better off with more consoles sold.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
tyrran said:

This is like arguing they should have stopped making games for the DS because GBA flash carts ran on it almost immediately. There is a monstrous library of GBA games, but the DS' primary function was to play brand new titles, not old ones. This is same for the 3DS. Almost every developer ever is eager to jump on board the 3D train, make new copies of their old games that have a bit of polish to them and score another win.

"Most companies don't just work with Nintendo" is also pretty ridiculous. The 3DS has attracted more developers than any Nintendo system since the Super Famicom, and we've got movie companies roped in as well, looking for a new platform to push their animated features on a new horizon.

400,000 units in a single day, in Japan. There were only 800,000 of the virtual boy after a full year, globally. I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to go the distance with this little 3D puppy, even if people figured out how to run their old, non-3D games on it for free.
True true, but at the time flashcards were no where near as available nor as popular and costly, so most people over looked that.

And yes not every company that make video games works just with Nintendo, they can just as easily go to another system. Yes they have attracted a lot of developers, but it doesn't mean they are all going to do anything or release their games.

And that is an impressive number, but I never said the system would fail, but games will still suffer

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
IIRC first flashcards on DS needed patching of roms, flashing the DS itself (or using passme etc).

No near as the drag and drop then play of today,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1