Hard Drive Not Responding

G1Convoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just recently Upgraded my Hard Drive to a 4tb one and I am trying to get some files from my old internal one to my new one but every time I try connect the Drive not only it will not respond but Windows will not respond I am able to move the mouse but nothing is responding until I remove the Drive I am using an External Toster to connect it

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume the 4TB drive already has Windows installed on it yes?
Is the old Drive a HDD or SSD?
What is the size of the old drive?
When removing the old drive did you mishandle it some way? Drop it? Unplugged it wrong? Tossed it somewhere or let it have any small impact upon any surface or object on or near it?
When trying to access the drive to you hear any consistent clicking coming from the old drive itself?
Is the drive reader hooked up properly? Is it powered properly? Have you tried reading other hard drives with this reader before this one?

The problem sounds like either your HDD is dead or the external reader is having issues in itself. but if I were a betting man the former is most likely.

Reactions: AncientBoi

G1Convoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was super Careful when I was taking out the Drive I even cleaned the Connectors as well when the Drive Connects to the Computer it is connected but its not reading at all and it would freeze after a while when I try to do a scan on it with chik it would not work until I unplug could it be the Dock?

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was super Careful when I was taking out the Drive I even cleaned the Connectors as well when the Drive Connects to the Computer it is connected but its not reading at all and it would freeze after a while when I try to do a scan on it with chik it would not work until I unplug could it be the Dock?
It's possible. I would try seeing if another drive plugged in would cause the same issue to present itself or not.

aoikurayami

dysfunctionally intimidating
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
External Toster
Wait...

You mean "harddrive holder" or something, right ?

Truth to be told, I had an hdd adapter fail to read a external hdd like this too.
It was a voltage thing in the end.
Try getting a new enclosure ("toaster") to hold ("toast") your hdd in.

If that won't help, your drive might have some issue and I'd consider saving everything to a safe location.

Maybe you can try a different pc (some USB Ports might be icky?)

Aside that:
Everything Faust from Goethe said.
(He really was a renaissance man !)

Last edited by aoikurayami,

G1Convoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got my new Case I set it with the Hard Drive inside and It works better then the Toster Dock but I get an error message that The Paramiter is Incorrect how can I fix that .

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my new Case I set it with the Hard Drive inside and It works better then the Toster Dock but I get an error message that The Paramiter is Incorrect how can I fix that .
Might be either heavily corrupted or damaged by too many bad sectors.

Your best goal would be to use file recovery software that can scan the drive and pull whatever data it can see off of it.

There might be other ways around this by "fixing" the drive error via CMD commands or other advanced software, but its not typically recommended if the drive needs file recovery since these "fixes" can also potentially further complicate things or even outright zero out your drive making any files on there gone, especially if it decides to reformat it.

G1Convoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually got it working it was from a corrupted sector I was able to fix it and retrieve my files and Reformat it to use a midea player for my TV

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yep, something like that.