Hardware Hardmodded switch won't charge

whinis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an original switch that I hard modded almost as soon as the firmware for the trinkets were released with a custom designed board with a samd21e on flex to reduce the cutting of the EMI shield. Everything worked fine for awhile. I had a few moves in my life, the switch got neglected and whenever I got back to it it was 100% dead, took 2 nights on a non-pd charger just to get it to report RCM before nearly instantly shutting off.

Once I got it charged up over the coarse of a week I realized that some of my magnet wire had rubbed through each other and I had to modify my hack a bit to prevent it. Even though I could see RCM and send a payload from a PC or phone, the hardmod chip could not. I rearranged the wires but since then I realize outside of rare instances the switch just won't charge, if plugged in it doesn't lose battery but it doesn't gain it either. Originally I thought it was the USB-C port however I tested all the connections with a breakout card. I use hekate and checked the battery info and that's when I saw its properly negotiating USB-PD and getting the correct voltage but the charging IC is reporting its overheated and won't charge. Attached is a view from hekate.
preview

Where should I start debugging this, or is it just time to replace the charging IC?

whinis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 366430

I have mine since late 2018, I only been using the oem charger, so it definitely your chargers you are using.
That's what's odd cause I have not introduced any new chargers to it. Oh well. I will test a bit more but seems the most likely cause
Post automatically merged:

So I just did the test procedures I found.
As soon as I plug in 5v only or USB-PD the charging IC reports hot. Whenever unplugged its fine so something is wrong with the battery charge IC. Guess ill order one and replace it, fun little weekend project

Last edited by whinis,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Banners we don't need no stinking banners! Lol