Question Has GBAtemp ever had a data breach?

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes they did a few years ago. Strangely enough, I was thinking about it this morning (because the staff posted a funny meme when it happened).

IIRC, most (if not all) accounts were compromised.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I do remember when they wanted us to change our passwords and stuff. That was wild. I'm glad they addressed it seriously and now things are running much more smoothly and secure.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Yes they did a few years ago. Strangely enough, I was thinking about it this morning (because the staff posted a funny meme when it happened).

IIRC, most (if not all) accounts were compromised.
Wasn't that a hack on a ROM site where like a bajillion ppl registered with the same email and password, and then the credentials were used to invade GBAtemp? That's when they introduced the authenticator.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think temp uses xenforo, which is a lot more secure than vbulletin. that's why psx-place changed from vbulletin to xenforo.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't that a hack on a ROM site where like a bajillion ppl registered with the same email and password, and then the credentials were used to invade GBAtemp? That's when they introduced the authenticator.

That was a separate incident. The guys who hacked GBAtemp were criticizing the sites admins or something.

This is the meme that the staff posted, but at the end they changed "mastur___" to "hacking our servers LOL" https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/421/771/424.jpg

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a lot of the content sites use vbulletin. in fact, that iso site does. they were breached badly a couple years ago, and I don't think they had a backup of one of their sites, so it totally destroyed it. I think it's back, sorta.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
iirc Temp's never been compromised, but a popular ROM forum was, to which many users shared passwords across. That was the occasion in recent history where users were advised to change passwords. That's just from memory though, there could have been stuff before I joined.

Reactions: dAVID_ and Ryccardo

dAVID_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
iirc Temp's never been compromised, but a popular ROM forum was, to which many users shared passwords across. That was the occasion in recent history where users were advised to change passwords. That's just from memory though, there could have been stuff before I joined.
OHH, so it was Emuparadise.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Beyond the data breach that resulted in the complete change in forum software from IPB to Xenforo back in 2012, I'm not aware of any other breaches the site itself had.

There have been times when other sites have been breeched that have resulted in some accounts here being hacked, but that was simply because people were using the same username/password, not a breach here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: