• Total voters

Deleted member 560282

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The 3DS releases Triple Deluxe & Planet Robobot were great IMO, while Extra Epic Yarn was more of the same thing (the Wii version) but still decent
The True Arena in Robobot is f'n brutal. The Kirby games do a good job of presenting a challenge to those who want one, I think.
Hmm, maybe I should give them a check again

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It a sense, yes... But not entirely.

Their Mario games used to be fun, but after Galaxy 2, they're just kind of "meh" with the new art direction of being super-smooth, cheaply liy, and overall just feel kind of like cookie-cutter CGi characters now. Especially when compared to other Mario variants, like Super Mario World Mario.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nostalgia is a powerful force, but I like Mario Odyssey a lot more than Super Mario Bros. Depends on the game, some of their recent stuff is great and some of it is wack. I'm not big on their recent-ish kick since the 3DS days of returning to old IPs with experiments in new genres, like Chibi Robo in a platform game, but it wouldn't be so bad if they ALSO released a new game in the traditional genre.
Looking forward to Metroid Dread right now tbh.

Reactions: Kameryn

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii/DS era had the last good Nintendo games.
I agree, some series like the Mario & Luigi, DK, Mario vs. DK games are all missing this Gen and not on the Switch..
Well for the M&L games, AlphaDream soon went bankrupt so no more of that i guess.

Last edited by CoolMe,
D

Deleted User

I always felt they never were able to match what they did during the NES/Super NES era. They just weren't quite as good after that.

Not that I didn't buy their systems after and I still do, they're still good just not as good.

Last edited by ,

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well because the state gaming was different back in the NES/SNES era, they defined the sidescrolling genre so of course it had great impact on the industry/and everyone. When they jumped to 3D, Super Mario 64 & LoZ Oot are considered masterpieces, if they were 2D games instead, people would've called them lazy/and the formula is getting stale etc.

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I was thinking... it was much earlier that the “best games” were coming out

Ocarina of Time is considered one of the best games of all time. 1996 release

Same with Mario 64- 1996
Minecraft released in 2011~ still getting more sales day after day
Spyro and Crash Bandicoot. I don’t know PlayStation release dates.
The Half-Life series, early 2000’s
Goldeneye 007
Grand Theft Auto- last entry was 2013
The portal games
Red dead redemption
Bioshock
Dark Souls
Resident Evil
Halo
Uncharted
Super Mario Bros.
Fire Emblem
Pokémon
The Zelda series
Final Fantasy
Grim Fandango

So many games
So many series that were considered some of the best of all time

But all of them suffered from something

Some were a one or two title series, never revisited again
(Ex: Grim Fandango, any Valve series)

Some made too many games that became more bland over time and oversaturated in the market, losing their charm and character
(Ex: Pokémon)

Some developers started taking series in a different direction and started losing most of the fans
(Ex: Spyro before the Re. Triology, Zelda in some’s opinions)

Some series have just been all over the place and later entries were a total hit or miss for everyone
(Ex: Final Fantasy)

Some series were just too much of the same thing over time
(Ex: New Super Mario Bros., Pokémon again)

Mass Effect
Control
Hades
Tony Hawk’s series
Monster Hunter Rise
Crash Bandicoot 4
NieR Replicant
Scarlet Nexus
Neos: The World Ends With You
Cuphead
Sonic Mania
Super Mario Odyssey
Persona 5

These are some of the latest and greatest games. But hardly considered by many to be GOAT’s.

But more recent games have more and more issues

Some of them try something new and people don’t often learn to accept new things that aren’t done perfectly in their taste

Some games
Despite what their predecessors were-
Are extremely controversial among fans.
Because the series has a reputation which makes it harder in a lot of cases for devs to be more experimental and creative like they were back in the day.

Some struggle to stand out.
There’s now such a wide variety of games. Anyone can find a game they love, but people nowadays can struggle to find a true favorite if they only stick with newer games.
Zombie Shooters- tell me a unique one you’ve seen in the last 5 years.
2D platformers- “oh boy, a new one. Can’t wait for this to either be really hard or really good looking and that’s the only reason someone cares about the game”

There’s a lot of things going on...
Developers sure seem to be losing their spark and creativity. Nintendo is never going to make something that would live up to what Super Mario 64 did. PlayStation is never going to make a new series that’s going to revolutionize anything.
Xbox is Xbox. At least they’re consistent (even if everything they sell is available elsewhere).

But I feel like people are also a part of the problem. The internet too.
“Hype” is people talking up a game before its release. This causes people to get excited about a game not even knowing what to expect.

People didn’t go into Ocarina of Time expecting the greatest game of all time. People didn’t expect to go into Minecraft expecting it to reach the top all time game sales leaderboard and stay there for over 5 years at least.

With the internet hyping things up, people go into new games expecting these kinds of things then get let down when it isn’t perfection to them.
Some people learned by now not to let the hype get to them. But they take it to an extreme and don’t allow any feelings toward new games at all- then only look at them critically while playing them.

Another thing is game discussions on the internet.
Some rando might see a game that interests them. They look it up online. They see someone bashing the game in a review for stupid reasons.
The average person usually gets turned off from the game after that instead of actually forming their own opinion of the game. Thus damaging the game’s performance in the long run.
All due to public blind trust online.

There’s a number of answers for your question.
Personally, I feel the same way. But that’s because I straight up actually play older games and classics more. Whenever I try a new game, there’s a 90% chance I stop caring about it before I even get halfway through. So I do feel like companies have lost something over time.

This response was only regarding the topic for flatscreen games.

VR games right now... yea, there’s like 4 or 5 games to actually keep you coming back
It’s a new industry, and I’ll be honest... so far, the games have nowhere to go but up.
The amount of shovelware and college projects you’ll find around VR stores is annoying, and makes it harder to find the real good titles

Back on topic

Honestly, I don’t see that changing anytime soon. At least, not as long as Nintendo, Xbox, and PlayStation keep doing what they’re doing. Not as long as third party companies and devs really struggle to ever make their game known.

I can only imagine the amounts of special titles will decline over time unfortunately.

Last edited by Mama Looigi,

Dancerdude64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say nintendo has "lost its charm". There are still quality games like
Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Animal Corssing
etc

but the number of "low" quality games has gone up such as
Super Mario 3d all stars

I guess it also has to do with the fact that the majority of the people posting here grew up in the golden age of nitnendo (n64/gcube/wii) [like what @ScarletDreamz said] so this is also an opinion.

Kameryn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Amazing topic, I too am feeling this way of late. Like I'm in a relationship that is no longer working but staying out of convenience.

I think it's inevitable, good things come in waves, and you have to be there at the time to be a part of it.

Nintendo has come and gone and what remains is artificial, like a vampire I like to think, continuing to live when it's life span has long past. You have to admit that they are rather amazing keeping their IP's so popular and relevant, not even Micky Mouse can say the same. It must also been painful to continually outdo what has come before. What can they do that would be new or better while surpassing 35 years of growing expectations? Thinking about their position gives me anxiety lol. They must be everyone's bigger brother and best friend all the time like a boy band, which inevitably will be fake and even toxic to some extent. Things become more controlled and restrained in order to remain as Nintendo and not become something else.

None the less, they generally do retain heart in their endeavors, taking their time where possible to make some outstanding products like BOTW and Odyssey, we are very spoiled.

As I grow older I realize that some things done in the past can never be surpassed. There are pieces of software written for Windows 3.1 that are incredibly brilliant for example that get left behind. Better things won't necessarily come from the future. Recently I replayed Super Metroid after ZM, Fusion, AM2R and corruption, and I realized that it was way ahead of its time. It has advanced physics and AI that are not in the other games, it was trickier for me to predict, and overall felt way more kinetic with a world that is more alive and weightier. I was simply astonished how good it is!

An alternative to these corporate Giants with returning IP's are one offs that come from specific people. Anime like Cowboy bebop that only has 26 episodes, games like F-Zero, hollow knight, half-life, where that's all you get, it retains its soul and has lasting value because it lived and died with its creators. They weren't cloned in a lab, genetically enhanced souless super versions. Hehehe. I enjoy analogies :).

Cheers ^^

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Same with Mario 64- 1996
Goldeneye 007
The portal games
Red dead redemption
Bioshock
Dark Souls
Resident Evil
Halo
Uncharted
Super Mario Bros.
Fire Emblem
Pokémon
The Zelda series
Final Fantasy
Grim Fandango

So many games

Some made too many games that became more bland over time and oversaturated in the market

Some developers started taking series in a different direction and started most of the fans

Some series have just been all over the place and later entries were a total hit or miss for everyone

Mass Effect
Control
Hades
Tony Hawk’s series
Monster Hunter Rise
Crash Bandicoot 4
NieR Replicant
Scarlet Nexus
Cuphead
Sonic Mania
Super Mario Odyssey
Persona 5

These are some of the latest and greatest games. But hardly considered by many to be GOAT’s.

Some of them try something new and people don’t often learn to accept new things that aren’t done perfectly in their taste

Some games
Because the series has a reputation which makes it harder in a lot of cases for devs to be more experimental and creative like they were back in the day.

There’s now such a wide variety of games. Anyone can find a game they love, but people nowadays can struggle to find a true favorite if they only stick with newer games.
2D platformers- “oh boy, a new one. Can’t wait for this to either be really hard or really good looking and that’s the only reason someone cares about the game”

Developers sure seem to be losing their spark and creativity. Nintendo is never going to make something that would live up to what Super Mario 64 did. PlayStation is never going to make a new series that’s going to revolutionize anything.
Xbox is Xbox. At least they’re consistent (even if everything they sell is available elsewhere).

“Hype” is people talking up a game before its release. This causes people to get excited about a game not even knowing what to expect.

People didn’t go into Ocarina of Time expecting the greatest game of all time. People didn’t expect to go into Minecraft expecting it to reach the top all time game sales leaderboard and stay there for over 5 years at least.

With the internet hyping things up, people go into new games expecting these kinds of things then get let down when it isn’t perfection to them.
Some people learned by now not to let the hype get to them. But they take it to an extreme and don’t allow any feelings toward new games at all- then only look at them critically while playing them.

Some rando might see a game that interests them. They look it up online. They see someone bashing the game in a review for stupid reasons.
The average person usually gets turned off from the game after that instead of actually forming their own opinion of the game. Thus damaging the game’s performance in the long run.

Personally, I feel the same way. But that’s because I straight up actually play older games and classics more. Whenever I try a new game, there’s a 90% chance I stop caring about it before I even get halfway through. So I do feel like companies have lost something over time.

VR games right now... yea, there’s like 4 or 5 games to actually keep you coming back
It’s a new industry, and I’ll be honest... so far, the games have nowhere to go but up.
The amount of shovelware and college projects you’ll find around VR stores is annoying, and makes it harder to find the real good titles

Back on topic

Honestly, I don’t see that changing anytime soon. At least, not as long as Nintendo, Xbox, and PlayStation keep doing what they’re doing. Not as long as third party companies and devs really struggle to ever make their game known.

I can only imagine the amounts of special titles will decline over time unfortunately.
Damn, well put!

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not really? I can say that modern Nintendo games don't have the exact same charm as their older games but I suppose that's just due to changing times. That's not to say that they don't still have their own charm to them however as they certainly do (Mario Odyssey, BotW, Splatoon, Smash, et al.)

Reactions: HiSaturnV

HiSaturnV

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
saturnsh2x2.ml
XP
Country
United States
I didn't own a Switch in any form until 2020, so I have a bit of catching up to do with regards to Nintendo games, but from what I can tell, if anything, Nintendo seems a bit more experimental with certain IPs than back in the 3DS days. At least, that's what I gathered, playing through Breath of the Wild and Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I seem to remember, back in the 3DS days, the consensus being that Nintendo was playing it too safe, sticking too much to what they've done before (and thus the recent nostalgia for the era always struck me as kinda weird).

Granted, I didn't really "grow up" with NIntendo; my first console as a kid was a PlayStation 2, and while I had a GBA, I never really played any Nintendo first-party titles on it. I kinda had to go out of my way to start playing NIntendo games at around 12, when I asked for a DS and got a 3DS. My point is the nostalgia factor that others have with the company is missing, to a degree, on my end.

I mean, I do see where you're coming from. I got Smash Bros. Ultimate thinking I would pour hours into it like I did with 4, but all I ended up doing was barely touching World of Light and only occasionally playing the game with friends. But I'd chalk that up more to me being in a different position than I was in high school. Video games, as a medium, are getting old enough to the point where we're beginning to see shifts in opinions on games between generations, and oftentimes our opinions aren't as clear-cut and logical as we like to make them out to be, often being influenced by where we were in life at the time.

I guess, just because something is different from what you're used to, doesn't necessarily make it worse. Times change, and people join and leave studios. It's best to approach newer games with an open mindset and not get too muddied down in expectations.

Reactions: Wavy

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This can be kinda of a polemic question_statement, but, recently I started to ask myself that question. Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo, their characters, games, a lot of their consoles, and they have always being a synonymous of quality in my book (With some noticeable exceptions).
But the more time it passes, the more I feel their new games just aren't nearly as attractive as before, and most of the time I just get bored of them after a few hours of playing (With some exceptions like New Horizons for example).
A lot of the time, If I choose to play a Nintendo game, 90% of the time is going to be one from an old generation of consoles, probably N64 or Gamecube, cause the new games, while having prettier graphics and textures, they just feel.... boring.

Does somebody else feels this way too? I will like to hear people's opinion about this topic. And please, try to be civil about this. Thank you
I believe the older we get, the more we view a lot of things in the past with rose-tinted glasses. Nostalgia, essentially. We lose some of that innocence we once had and usually hold older games that we enjoyed a lot when we were younger to higher appeal. Especially as adults when we start taking in more responsibilities, have less time to play games, tastes changing, etc.

I do agree to an extent that they don't have the same "charm" as with much older games, but I also do think that right now they have a different "charm" that still gets a lot of people in. Times are always changing, after all. Can't stay in one place all the time or else it can get stale, which is probably why Nintendo keeps trying to do new and different things.

Regardless, I'll still keep playing their games for the foreseeable future as usual (unless something drastic happens).

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is that Nintendo is kind of left on it's own now, and it's hard to create the same magic in a vacuum. They need a Sega to bring the best out of them, not corporations like Microsoft or Sony.

I also think charm can still be found in pockets though, but mostly in the indie scene now.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP

Same with Mario 64- 1996
Goldeneye 007
The portal games
Red dead redemption
Bioshock
Dark Souls
Resident Evil
Halo
Uncharted
Super Mario Bros.
Fire Emblem
Pokémon
The Zelda series
Final Fantasy
Grim Fandango

So many games

Some made too many games that became more bland over time and oversaturated in the market, losing their charm and character

Some developers started taking series in a different direction and started losing most of the fans

Mass Effect
Control
Hades
Tony Hawk’s series
Monster Hunter Rise
Crash Bandicoot 4
NieR Replicant
Scarlet Nexus
Cuphead
Sonic Mania
Super Mario Odyssey
Persona 5

Some games

Back on topic

That is correct
As Nintendo hasn't had a new title that's original
I don't wanna say Nintendo lost their charm, but it's fading away
They need to reel it back in

Reactions: Mama Looigi

RodriGames40

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The problem is that Nintendo is kind of left on it's own now, and it's hard to create the same magic in a vacuum. They need a Sega to bring the best out of them, not corporations like Microsoft or Sony.

I also think charm can still be found in pockets though, but mostly in the indie scene now.

Yeah, this is it. Nintendo doesn't really has any competition to make truly outstanding games anymore, Mario Odyssey and BOTW needed to be good just because Wii U failed miserably, and having killer apps for Switch at launch was the key to succeed. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of their games after 2017-2018 have been a bit forgettable or "corporate" like people here are saying, they just don't need to put lots of effort in a single game yet. Seems like this is already changing with Metroid 5 finally happening after 19 years, and the ambitious BOTW sequel officially slated for next year.

Idk about you guys, but I wouldn't count them "out" yet. They're clearly capable of doing comebacks when expectations are on the floor, so i'll just be optimistic, i'm sure they'll blow us again like they always do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: my brother found our copies of both pokemon diamond and pokemon black