Have you ever had to stop playing a game due to being too unlucky?

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There have been quite a few games I was rather excited to play, but due to my horrifically bad luck. The games ended up being more of a chore and in the end caused me to quit entirely. For example when playing some old NES game I managed to fail a 50% chance 27 times. I genuinely don't know what I did to have this bad of luck. But hitting that 1/100 chance of something bad happening is an extremely common thing for me. Anyone else have this kind of experience? I know I have a friend who is the exact opposite always hitting that extremely lucky chance.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use save states and save yourself (valuable) time. It should lessen the pressure when playing, if you miss a jump or something (accidentally) you wouldn't need to redo the whole level (or worse start from the beginning).

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use save states and save yourself (valuable) time. It should lessen the pressure when playing, if you miss a jump or something (accidentally) you wouldn't need to redo the whole level (or worse start from the beginning).
It happens in modern games too. And the instance I'm referring to on the NES game was during a RetroAchievements run. So I wasnt allowed to use states.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like to think I usually have good luck, I don't know that I ever had this problem before

That said I agree about old games and save states - those games were too unforgiving often times and you are better off with using save states

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Realm of the Mad God. I really like this game and i'm rather good at it, but the frequent connection issues made me run into the most fucked up scenarios possible, got really annoying at some point and i decided to quit.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have had terrible bad luck with Dragon Quest 7.
Had to buy an imported PS1 and a copy of DQ 7 when it originally came out as it never made it to Europe. Got pretty near the end of the game then my house got burgled and my ps1 and games were nabbed. Bought myself a new PC with some of the insurance money and a few years later using an emulator I started DQ7 again getting to pretty much the same spot I got to before only for a power cut to fry my PC. Many more years pass and then the 3DS version comes out and I start playing again only for my SD card to fail.

Finally got to finish the game last year. Will be the only DQ I won't play again as pretty sure DQ7 is cursed :rofl:

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had terrible bad luck with Dragon Quest 7.
Had to buy an imported PS1 and a copy of DQ 7 when it originally came out as it never made it to Europe. Got pretty near the end of the game then my house got burgled and my ps1 and games were nabbed. Bought myself a new PC with some of the insurance money and a few years later using an emulator I started DQ7 again getting to pretty much the same spot I got to before only for a power cut to fry my PC. Many more years pass and then the 3DS version comes out and I start playing again only for my SD card to fail.

Finally got to finish the game last year. Will be the only DQ I won't play again as pretty sure DQ7 is cursed :rofl:
See when I was referring to an NES game I was having terrible luck with I was referring to DQ3. Failed a spell with a 50% chance of success like 17 times.

Reactions: AmandaRose

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i think i tried Final Fantasy V for 3 times:
1. emulation of the rpge translated snes rom over 25 years ago, the first battle against ExDeath i think, somewhere in the 2nd world
2. the rom on gba when it came out, ran out of potions in some dungeon
3. legit cart, some mistake: ran out of potions again in some dungeon

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Playing Lunatic/Hard 5 Fire Emblem I've got myself into positions where I couldn't find a way to win without starting the game again lol. Fire Emblem 12 stands out here, with bad level ups in the prologue making it pretty much impossible to beat what are basically tutorials. Glorious game.

rambonz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Final Fantasy 13. I ended up just running past every enemy then theres a part where you control sarz and fight the red robot thing with no way to backtrack. Anyway, super under leveled impossible to win fight. Happened twice and its like 20 hours in.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Had this the other day with a Yu Gi Oh game. My opponent had a Trap Hole waiting at the end of four of his turns in a row and I just turned it off, couldn't be bothered. Stopped me from getting anything off the ground.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
there's no such thing as LUCK. it was created by humans it doesn't actually exist! the reason your bad at games is because your skills are bad that has nothing to do with luck. hand and eye coordination is essential for gaming if this is bad than your going to be bad. practice makes perfect.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
there's no such thing as LUCK. it was created by humans it doesn't actually exist! the reason your bad at games is because your skills are bad that has nothing to do with luck. hand and eye coordination is essential for gaming if this is bad than your going to be bad. practice makes perfect.
A lot of games do rely on RNG to varying degrees, the ones that are overly-reliant on it are the ones I tend to stay away from, however.

Can't say I've ever quit playing a game altogether due to bad luck, but there are a number of roguelikes I've had to put down for the day after two or three consecutive bad runs. Shit happens.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1677832016824.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: