Homebrew HBB Remake: The Homebrew Downloader

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should really not rehost stuff without permission... Why provide a static copy of instead of linking to the official repository so people will always get the latest release?

dhtdht020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
You should really not rehost stuff without permission... Why provide a static copy of instead of linking to the official repository so people will always get the latest release?
Most official repoistories contain the app files in the root of a zip instead of a folder in the zip and WiiBrowser won't create a folder for it.
The problem with permissions is, none of the developers really care anymore about their homebrew apps and simply don't respond at all.

Reactions: rogerioronin

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
too bad HBB sources are not available, but maybe HB Appstore (wiiu version) could be used to create a new, open source version for wii ?
with a setting to set a different repository url in case one is offline and someone want to host a new one.

Last edited by Cyan,

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
too bad HBB sources are not available, but maybe HB Appstore (wiiu version) could be used to create a new, open source version for wii ?
with a setting to set a different repository url in case one is offline and someone want to host a new one.
The problem with the hbb browser and also what makes it work so well it that it hosts all the downloads - so no dead links. But someone has to manually update it. I thought about a solution that would bridge the 2 but interest is low.

huntertron1

dancing to music!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmmmm nice ill try this out when i get home from school and if this work ill see if i can get the same thing. i have a question is this a manual made site or did you use some sort of website maker (like wix)

dhtdht020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Always glad to see new wii stuff. Need to fill out the games section though and work on the html. Add my wii stuff to it. *LINK REMOVED NO PERMS*
Will surely add it (Edit: Already Added! :D). The site is purposely basic as WiiBrowser does not support anything other than text (Only normal and bold, no italic or centered) and images.

I assume it can be used, but I will soon allow custom repositories too.

hmmmmm nice ill try this out when i get home from school and if this work ill see if i can get the same thing. i have a question is this a manual made site or did you use some sort of website maker (like wix)
The site is made manually, I assume you got confused by my WPMU project, which is basically a wordpress blog host owned by me.

Last edited by dhtdht020,
Reactions: Cyan

huntertron1

dancing to music!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will surely add it. The site is purposely basic as WiiBrowser does not support anything other than text (Only normal and bold, no italic or centered) and images.

I assume it can be used, but I will soon allow custom repositories too.

The site is made manually, I assume you got confused by my WPMU project, which is basically a wordpress blog host owned by me.
ah i see

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
link to USBLoaderGX thread?
it's a pinned thread, in the Wii > USBLoader section.
I'm the last one maintaining that project.

If you want to include a binary in your repository, you can but you need to provide a way to find the sources (you can add the URL of sourceforge's repository somewhere on the site) as per the GPL, and that's probably valid for ALL the homebrew you host.
Also, I'd recommend you do NOT provide random version you find !
only provide version which are released officially as "stable" on sourceforge, and not the one you find as beta test in the official development thread. these "temporary" revision can be dangerous, incompatible, crashing, unstable, etc.
I wouldn't want users to complain because the end users (not developers or beta testers) updated to a non stable version.

I'd think WiiXplorer will have the same restriction : provide link to sources, or the sources themselves. But I'd talk for its author without knowing for sure.
there's no new official released version, but there's a newer, modded, one which supports Ustealth drives.
As long as you comply to the license (GPL = provide sources) then you should be fine re-hosting files without asking first. just use common sense and don't host unstable, untested releases to the public.
Some releases and projects are specifically told by its author to not rehost or share (Wiimc, Hackmii, Neek, etc.), just find an official readme or license file to learn what you can or need to do before hosting binaries from project which are not yours.

Last edited by Cyan,

dhtdht020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
link to USBLoaderGX thread?
it's a pinned thread, in the Wii > USBLoader section.
I'm the last one maintaining that project.

If you want to include a binary in your repository, you can but you need to provide a way to find the sources (you can add the URL of sourceforge's repository somewhere on the site) as per the GPL, and that's probably valid for ALL the homebrew you host.
Also, I'd recommend you do NOT provide random version you find !
only provide version which are released officially as "stable" on sourceforge, and not the one you find as beta test in the official development thread. these "temporary" revision can be dangerous, incompatible, crashing, unstable, etc.
I wouldn't want users to complain because the end users (not developers or beta testers) updated to a non stable version.

I'd think WiiXplorer will have the same restriction : provide link to sources, or the sources themselves. But I'd talk for its author without knowing for sure.
there's no new official released version, but there's a newer, modded, one which supports Ustealth drives.
As long as you comply to the license (GPL = provide sources) then you should be fine re-hosting files without asking first. just use common sense and don't host unstable, untested releases to the public.
Some releases and projects are specifically told by its author to not rehost or share (Wiimc, Hackmii, Neek, etc.), just find an official readme or license file to learn what you can or need to do before hosting binaries from project which are not yours.
Thanks for the information, meanwhile I will remove both WiiXplorer & USB Loader GX from the list and later on do a research about the currently existing apps. The files were transferred over to a place inaccessible via the web. I will make sure to give proper credits for any app / theme from now on. Currently the author information can be found at norment.in.nf/hbbwiki for most of the apps. The main reason these were uploaded is for my own personal needs and I understand it was a mistake, and it won't be repeated.
About the versions: I mainly use the download available in WiiBrew. USB Loader GX is not currently listed in WiiBrew so I simply took it from Sourceforge (Which I also understand was a mistake, I will try my best to contact the author for the latest version).

Linkuei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Really good news!

You should add the lastest versions of the emulators (Genesis plus GX, Fceum GX, Mednafen, Retroarch...) and modded ones (FBA Neo Geo compatible with the larger Neo Geo roms, SNES9x compatible with msu1...)

Keep it up!!!

dhtdht020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Nice!

You should add more homebrew applications, like VBA GX.
Really good news!

You should add the lastest versions of the emulators (Genesis plus GX, Fceum GX, Mednafen, Retroarch...) and modded ones (FBA Neo Geo compatible with the larger Neo Geo roms, SNES9x compatible with msu1...)

Keep it up!!!
Surely will.

Reactions: Linkuei

vEN2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
i think the best way is having two links for any software:
1st official thread link (binaries)
2nd is mirror (if 1st is down)

Reactions: Cyan

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The Homebrew Downloader
The Homebrew Browser Remake

Most of you probably know the homebrew browser. A method to easilly download homebrew apps directly from your wii.
I found myself using it daily to download the latest homebrew without that entire proccess of moving stuff to SD, espacially when you don't have the right tools.

I'm happy to finally release an alternative, "The Homebrew Downloader". Unlike HBB, The Homebrew Downloader is a website designed exclusively for WiiBrowser (A Wii browser app that supports downloads).
Installation Instructions:
1. Download WiiBrowser from WiiBrew.
2. Extract to a folder named "Apps" on the root of your SD card.
3. (Recommended) Start it and press the settings button and change settings to:
Homepage = hbd.norment.org
Default Folder / Download Folder = sd:/apps/
Unzip Files = Always
4. Join my discord server for daily updated and suggestions. Invite Code: wDCpFUb (Can't Post Links)
Am I right in thinking this won't be able to detect already installed apps or available updates?
If so that's too bad. That was the primary benefit of Homebrew Browser, being able to easily update all your homebrew to the latest version with a couple button presses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, and the 12 inches pianist?