Hardware HDMI not outputting audio

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the other day, I decided to hook up an HDMI cable to my 32" Vizio LCD TV from my laptop, so my roommates and I could watch a DVD. If I recall correctly, HDMI is suppose to output both video and audio to the TV in question, as I have a similar setup at my parent's home (their PC is connected to a 46" Sony Bravia TV). However, when I connected my laptop to the TV at my apartment, the audio only came from the laptop and not the TV. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but isn't the sound supposed to go through the TV and NOT the laptop? Vizio may be a budget TV, it isn't THAT bad especially compared to Westinghouse or Coby brand TVs.

Laptop specs:

Lenovo Ideapad Y570
CPU: Core i7 2670QM 2.20GHz
RAM: 8192MB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
GPU: nVidia GT555M 1GB GDDR5 / Intel HD 3000 (IGP currently disabled)

The funny thing is, the video is outputted perfectly (perfect 1:1 ratio), it's the audio that doesn't go to the TV

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have to ask the simple question- is the computer set to use the HDMI as the new audio device (it is technically different to your sound card)
XP
http://www.tinyeye.com/avsetup/soundsetup_xp.html

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-change-default-playback-recording-audio-device
Do note vist and 7 have somewhat superior sound throwing abilities as compared to XP in that they can change things somewhat more dynamically so make sure you have not set things to your headphones you left in the front of the PC.

Vista is much the same as 7.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I think I may have encountered a PEBKAC/ID10T error. I'll check that out and make sure there are no conflicting issues. If I can't figure that out, I could always get a Y-splitter cable from Radioshack and use it with my 2.1 speakers I use for my Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: