Hello!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi I join to find a way to make self bootable backup game on every phat ps2 console, (currently only ps2 slim works)
If you find a way to produce true self-booting discs, please tell us how you did it. With true self-booting discs I mean "boots on any version of the PS2 just like the originals requiring no patches to the image – for CD and DVD games".

ps2proto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Of course I'll share it if I find the way, but you'll need to patch only the iso before burning the game to the disc, it's impossible without a patch. But you patch just the disc, so the console is unmodified and you can use the disc without a softmod (on a save card for example) like a true ps2 disc game
Post automatically merged:

If you have a ps2 slim you can currently do it, but if you have a ps2 Phat you can't for the moment :

Check this post for more info : https://gbatemp.net/threads/esr-auto-patcher-on-fat-how-to-use-please-help.577692/#post-10031031

Reactions: SylverReZ

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello @cigoq and welcome to GBATemp! :toot: :yay:

Of course I'll share it if I find the way, but you'll need to patch only the iso before burning the game to the disc, it's impossible without a patch. But you patch just the disc, so the console is unmodified and you can use the disc without a softmod (on a save card for example) like a true ps2 disc game

If you have a ps2 slim you can currently do it, but if you have a ps2 Phat you can't for the moment :

Check this post for more info : https://gbatemp.net/threads/esr-auto-patcher-on-fat-how-to-use-please-help.577692/#post-10031031
You're talking about ESR patching? Nothing new there. But that requires FreeMCBoot.
As for the autoboot ELF file, is it supposed to work for both (ESR patched) burned discs & iso images or just one of them? Also, is the autoboot ELF file is stored in the MC, usb flash drive or the (ESR patched) burned disc? Don't think it's possible for the latter.

ps2proto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello @cigoq and welcome to GBATemp! :toot: :yay:

You're talking about ESR patching? Nothing new there. But that requires FreeMCBoot.
As for the autoboot ELF file, is it supposed to work for both (ESR patched) burned discs & iso images or just one of them? Also, is the autoboot ELF file is stored in the MC, usb flash drive or the (ESR patched) burned disc? Don't think it's possible for the latter.
You can defenitly launch game just with a burned disc with a unmodified (no soft mod too) ps2 slim currently.
read this for more info https://cturt.github.io/freedvdboot.html#backup
And you can use freedvdboot esr patcher to patch your iso and burn them after : read this : https://gbatemp.net/threads/freedvdboot-and-esr-patcher-by-jabu.580982/

My goal is to have the same method over the ps2 Phat too, I've tried already many things (with a dvd-rw to avoid wasting disc).
Since many people only have the PS2 PHAT, this would be a huge improvment.

Consider asking that by making a new thread here: https://gbatemp.net/forums/other-platforms-oldies.202/
It doesn't exist yet, so nobody will find it. I'm here to do it myself and post it when it's ready.

Last edited by ps2proto,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My goal is to have the same method over the ps2 Phat too, I've tried already many things (with a dvd-rw to avoid wasting disc).
That is why I said: "Tell us if you found a way for true¹ self-booting discs". FreeDVDBoot depends on exploiting the DVD player – which has many different versions depending on the PS2 model. At least up to now there is no exploit for self-booting DVDs working on all models. You would have to burn the same game twice (or worse) to run it on all consoles.
"Classic" ESR patching involving FreeMCBoot is more widely compatible concerning different models – but it needs the FreeMCBoot card inserted every time you want to start a game.

You are bringing an additional potential point of failure into the equation here: Rewriteable media and gaming consoles aren't best friends. Verify your fat PS2 can flawlessly read the RW media you are using: Play some minutes of DVD video and try an ESR patched game (FreeMCBoot dependent, known to work from non-RW media).
I know this is a bummer. I've wasted some discs when experimenting with gaming consoles, but RW media never quite worked for me.
Luckily many people consider CDs/DVDs outdated garbage and you might be able to get a certain amount of old stuff for cheap or even for free. No need to waste money on expensive archival grade DVD±R for testing.

¹ I'm talking about actually replicating the copy protection, not exploiting the DVD player to bypass the need for disc authentication. As far as I know nobody ever succeeded in burning valid PS2 discs. The decline of optical media will probably prevent knowledgeable and talented people to go after the old console CD/DVD copy protections, which are unfortunately very steadfast and… safe. *Sigh*
I wish Datel gave us a manual how to master valid homebrew discs. After all those years the PS1/2 not being in focus anymore, there isn't a need to keep this as company secret.

Reactions: CoolMe

ps2proto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That is why I said: "Tell us if you found a way for true¹ self-booting discs". FreeDVDBoot depends on exploiting the DVD player – which has many different versions depending on the PS2 model. At least up to now there is no exploit for self-booting DVDs working on all models. You would have to burn the same game twice (or worse) to run it on all consoles.
"Classic" ESR patching involving FreeMCBoot is more widely compatible concerning different models – but it needs the FreeMCBoot card inserted every time you want to start a game.

You are bringing an additional potential point of failure into the equation here: Rewriteable media and gaming consoles aren't best friends. Verify your fat PS2 can flawlessly read the RW media you are using: Play some minutes of DVD video and try an ESR patched game (FreeMCBoot dependent, known to work from non-RW media).
I know this is a bummer. I've wasted some discs when experimenting with gaming consoles, but RW media never quite worked for me.
Luckily many people consider CDs/DVDs outdated garbage and you might be able to get a certain amount of old stuff for cheap or even for free. No need to waste money on expensive archival grade DVD±R for testing.

¹ I'm talking about actually replicating the copy protection, not exploiting the DVD player to bypass the need for disc authentication. As far as I know nobody ever succeeded in burning valid PS2 discs. The decline of optical media will probably prevent knowledgeable and talented people to go after the old console CD/DVD copy protections, which are unfortunately very steadfast and… safe. *Sigh*
I wish Datel gave us a manual how to master valid homebrew discs. After all those years the PS1/2 not being in focus anymore, there isn't a need to keep this as company secret.
I see what you mean, but I will not dig in further to find how to do true self booting as you intend to have. I'm not as talented as CTURT, I'm just trying to help all people you want an "exploit self booting disc" for phat console only. I think that is very unlikely that someone find a way to do true self booting unfortunately, as you said, nobody pays attention to the ps2 anymore.
Think about the people who have only one phat console, they gonna burn only one copy of a game.

Currently, I have done more than 10 tests, after each test I erase and rewrite completely the DVD-RW with the official freedvdboot exploit, which have booted every time. So to avoid waste, I will do like that for now. After each test, I find errors in my code, I correct them and I Retry. If after a test, I can't figure out where my errors are, I will burn a DVD-R to avoid the potential point of failure you mention

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I see what you mean, but I will not dig in further to find how to do true self booting as you intend to have. I'm not as talented as CTURT,
Don't get me wrong: Of course "an exploit disc for just phat consoles" would be awesome! It's just a wish of mine, probably impossible to ever come true, to produce 100% valid discs for gaming consoles (PS1/2, GC/Wii). To the best of my knowledge this can't be achieved with an unmodified consumer CD/DVD writer. Console discs are a MUCH harder nut to crack than the disc based DRM schemes used on PC games.

The DVD exploit goes through the backdoor. Instead of satisfying the security processor with a valid disc, it is tricked into allowing reading through the multimedia compatibility (DVD-Video). An ingenious idea to take over control over the internal DVD player application after getting read access 'cause it is just a video.

Currently, I have done more than 10 tests, after each test I erase and rewrite completely the DVD-RW with the official freedvdboot exploit, which have booted every time. So to avoid waste, I will do like that for now. After each test, I find errors in my code, I correct them and I Retry. If after a test, I can't figure out where my errors are, I will burn a DVD-R to avoid the potential point of failure you mention
Having a combination of DVD-RW and console that like each other is good news for experiments… avoiding waste in the form of a bunch of coasters.

Good luck with your research!

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Kinda silly. But cool I guess. Its like painting your 2by4 wood studs in a wall, before covering...