Help identifying an odd SMB3 rom

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, my Super Mario Bros 3 rom on NES seems to be an odd one, and I was wondering if anybody knows what version of SMB3 it is, if it's a hack or a beta or just corrupted. If anybody recognizes these "symptoms", I'd be quite interested in knowing what's going on.

My rom seemed just fine at first, playing through stage 1-1 as normal.

About 1/3 of the way through 1-2, however, and I noticed that things were drastically different from how I remembered the game (flying buzzy beetles, no p-switch underneath a pipe with a pirhana plant, etc), but it seemed recognizable again at the end of the level.

I noticed some inconsistancies on the world 1 map when I checked, after having seen 1-2.

1-3 through 1-fortress were just as I recalled.

1-5 was pretty much the same but with a small chunk of the level missing and a few extra pipes at the end.

1-6 was nothing at all like I remembered, with a horrendously screwy layout and some stupid hard jumps.

I seem to recall the airship being as it should be, but I was so disoriented after 1-6 that I wouldn't have noticed any oddities.

I quit before starting world 2, because I got bored.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am with dirtie on this one: SMB and zelda titles are usually the first titles anyone hacks and there countless hacks ranging from simple sprite/text hacks to full blown remakes.
I do not suppose you could provide a CRC32 value for it please?

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how to check the CRC32. I'm pretty sure though, that the purpose behind this hack was to make it more like a prototype by replacing levels with unused ones that have been found in the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kinda feeling like that remix of the perfect cell theme