jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
oheeeei gais.
biggrin.gif

So I might be getting a job starting on sept, which means I'll probably have my own money to spend on whatever shit I want. Well I really want to buy a new PC since my current PC can't handle the games I want it to play.
My current PC specs:
AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core 5200+
2.61GHz
1GB of RAM
GeForce 6200 Turbocache

Well I dont think it sucks, but the RAM and GPU are the bottlenecks of this set up. But of course, I dont really know anything about this shit, that's why I'm asking for your help.
I've considered just upgrading the GPU and RAM but I'll probably also have to replace the Power Supply so I figured I might as well buy a new one.
I've also thought about building one, but I will probably mess something up (happened lots of times).
Problem is, I will probably be on a low budget, lets say 500$.
I just need the PC,as I already have mouse and monitor and all that stuff.
Im currently looking at this one
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16883227339

Do you guys think it'll be good? I'd probably want it to play recent games and perhaps games 3-5 years from now at at least the medium settings.

Mr. Targus

Trophies
XP
Country
You should be able to do better with build your own...
But on a low budget im not sure how Build Your Owns fare
up really. And I'm Australian so I have no idea of parts
prices over there.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's a large improvement from your current PC, but it's still a budget PC so overall not very good. In the new PC, the GT 520 will be the bottleneck. If you want to play games 5 years from now at medium settings, at the very least you want a GTX 560. And of course a power supply to handle it.

jan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I know, but if I was to build My own PC, someone would have to guide me step by step.
But anyway, I plan on building a new PC once I get a better job and get the real cash flowing in cause if I'm building a PC I wanna go all out
laugh.gif
This new PC that I intend to buy will be kind of a "quick fix" for my needs.

@originality Ahh thanks for the input. I kinda knew it wouldnt last me 5 years but it should do well for now won't it? I'm mainly concerned for DotA 2
shy.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
DOTA 2 requires at least a GeForce 8800 GT which has a 600/1500Mhz clock and a memory transfer rate of 58GBs. In comparison, the GT 520 has a clock of 810/1600Mhz and a memory transfer rate of 14.4 GBs. It also produces less than half the pixels per clock of the 8800 GT. This is the difference between a high end graphics card from the last generation architecture and a low-end budget graphics card of the current generation.

jan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Damn it
laugh.gif
I'll probably just save up my money first and buy a better PC. thanks!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
kevan said:
Originality you never fail to impress me with your knowledge 0_0
Google search appreciates your praise.

EDIT: regarding gaming PCs, the two most important parts are the graphics card (which'll do all the work) and the power supply (to feed the graphics card). The CPU isn't as important so an Athlon II will still be enough for most games, although certain types of games such as RTSs and probably DOTA too will hugely benefit from having a stronger CPU (these are the games that have to deal with high numbers of mobs).

The RAM and HDD are cheap so as long as you make a good choice when buying them, it's easy to get the best stuff. The case is mostly aesthetic in choice, but a case without good cooling will turn into an oven with higher grade parts inside. The rest just isn't important.

jan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've decided to build my own PC, but it'll be slow
My plan is to spend like ~200$ buying a part every pay check, so it'll probably take me 5-8 months to finish. I'll keep those in mind.
smile.gif

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
$200 a part should give you a decent build go for it.
Although I have no idea of costs associated with parts
in your country either D=

jan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nah Im here in Canada so it should be decent.
It's gonna take a long time though. "-.-

jan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nooo, that's a Philippines flag, where I am really from, but we live here in Canada now but I didnt bother to change it.
laugh.gif

Yes parts would be fun (and really helpful).

kevan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here we go.

Processor - Intel i5 2500K (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072) $220
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 560 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604) $225
Ram - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233142) $85
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-P67A-D3-B3 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128487) $110
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284) $85
SSD - Optional but $120 for a 60GB one.

All up $725 for the lot w/out the SSD.
And a wild guess at an extra $300-400 for Case, Heatsinks and Monitor?

Oh and actual pros at building Desktops, correct me on errors or where costs could be cut etc.
And especially give a price for the Monitor, Case and Heatsinks I have no idea on thos
happy.gif

EDIT EDIT EDIT: im silly you need a PSU, I need to try and cut some costs down D= for that.
EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: (sorry for caps D=) somebody point out a PSU I suck at this =D

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
GPU: if you're going to stick with a GTX 560, you may aswell go for a MSI GTX 560 Twin Frozr II/OC ($240). It's slightly more expensive, but the better cooler and factory overclock make it superior.
RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB is a lot cheaper with pretty much the same performance ($50). Or if you want to save even more money, go instead for 2x2GB kits. You'll only use around 3GB of the RAM anyway.
Motherboard: I recommend MSI P67A-GD53 ($150). This is assuming that, by the time you buy the parts, LGA 1155 is still the best option. Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge E CPUs are just around the corner, so the entire market is liable to change. For now, this is the best motherboard to get for overclocking as only the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme (and Z edition) is better, but costs a lot more.
SSD: If you're on a budget, do not get one. You do not need one. It's as simple as that.
HDD: For booting Windows, either get the aformentioned WD Caviar Black, or the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB ($75). Their performance is roughly the same, but Samsung is cheaper depending on the country. Do not consider any Seagate drives. If 1TB is not enough for you, them either get a 1.5TB Samsung Spinpoint F4EG ($50) or a WD Caviar Green. Ignore any HDDs that say "Sata 6Gbs", because they're more expensive and the speed is false advertising.

PSU: The best brands are Antec, Corsair, Enermax, Tagan and Seasonic. Here's a good one: Corsair Professional Series HX650 (modular, for $130). Generally you want a good brand PSU that's above 600W and it should last you for life (7-12 years). If it's modular, then cable management will be much easier. It also has the 80+ award for power efficiency (common amongst good PSUs).

ODD: Samsung DVD Burner ($17). Just the cheapest I could find. If you want BluRay... well I'm not going to cover that ;p
Cooling: Optional if you want to overclock. I recommend Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advance, although it is rather tall so beware on the case you pick.
Case: I would guess that the computer you currently have will have no more than 2 fans inside. Probably just one on the back. If you're going to get a more powerful PC, you will want a case with at least one fan on the front, one on the back, and one on the top. This creates airflow which will carry the hot air from the graphics and CPU out of the case. This is important... I've seen what a computerised oven can do to electronics... with that in mind, pick a case that you like the looks of. If you do plan to overclock in future, you should also get one big enough to contain your heatsink of choice.

I'll also add an extra source of part suggestions (in logical price increments) if you want to look at more than the parts I've named. Compared to the photobucket link Ireland posted, this is more up-to-date and I prefer the table format.
Guide.png

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I guess you guys missed something
happy.gif

jan777 said:
Problem is, I will probably be on a low budget, lets say 500$.

CPU: Well... you said you are looking only for GPU and ram,but I guess you'll also be upgrading your CPU so from me its Intel i3-2100 3.1GHz nearly $125.

Mobo
: you should go with Asus P8H67-M LE as its currently going well.
RAM: 4gb should be enough so either go for Cosair or any other you like/want for cheap.
GPU: As you are on a low budget,I recommend Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB(don't know which is the best maybe Originality can help you
smile.gif
)
PSU: This won't require a high PSU(until you are thinking of upgrading it again for some years) so a Corsair SU-430CX 430W .They are good in making PSUs and they 400W version costs almost the same.
HDD: I recommend Samsung or WD(I love WD).
WD Caviar black - High performance and expensive.
WD Caviar green - Good,but slight less performance than black,quiet,cool and eco-friendly,and also cheap.
WD Caviar Blue - Medium performance(compared to black and green) and cheap(does not comes in a 1TB version).
Others: Maybe you would need a new case,so let us know about it
biggrin.gif
.The rest should be good from your old PC.

PRICE: The above should cost about approx. $555.You could use your old HDD to cut-off some price and the rest should go fine
biggrin.gif

kevan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jan777 said:
I've decided to build my own PC, but it'll be slow
My plan is to spend like ~200$ buying a part every pay check, so it'll probably take me 5-8 months to finish. I'll keep those in mind.
smile.gif
No it is you who missed something.
That was his original budget.

@ Originality so was my PC all compat?
and I choose that other ram since its
built for OC.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The only compatability to look out for is motherboard/CPU socket, power supply to graphics, and case to the overall system (particularly PSU, heatsink and graphics card sizes).
EDIT: and motherboard/case form factor. ATX and mATX are common, whilst eATX, BTX and ITX are rarer (BTX is backwards, equivalent to left-handedness in computers, whilst ITX is tiny, used for multimedia boxes rather than full-power computers).

Regarding RAM and overclocking, it mostly doesn't make a difference. The CPU can only use 1333Mhz. 1600Mhz is the sweetspot for RAM because, when you over clock the CPU, the RAM will get down clocked by around 300Mhz. There is no noticeable benefit to higher speed RAM or RAM with lower latency.

jan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OMG so many builds. @.@

Thank you so much guys. I'll probably have to research some more but Originality's recommendations are looking pretty sweet.

I'll let you know when I finish it, if I ever do anyway.
laugh.gif

also, I dont really plan on overclocking, as long as the PC can do what I need it to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: yeehaw