ROM Hack Translation Help me understand a problem with the font.

Sieroju

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Um, hello everyone... I want to ask you for help, because I can't figure out what the problem is at all.
Visual novel "Tsukihime -A piece of blue glass moon" on Nintendo Switch (engine is HuneX) refuses to support cyrillic script correctly. Kerning is awful, the distance between the letters is huge, almost as big as my finger. At the same time the game is able to display the letters themselves very well. What can be wrong? Maybe it's a problem with the encoding? Although the encoding of the game is UTF-8. Changing font doesn't help. I honestly do not know what it can be. And what's worse, I don't understand how to modify it all. So please help me figure it out!

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Copying my answer from DM since I didn't knew you posted the same thing:
Ask Tsukihimates. They have discord channel.
My guess is that like usually in VN Japanese engines font is rendered in duospace manner and anything outside of ASCII table seems to use fullwidth kerning.

Reactions: impeeza

Sieroju

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Copying my answer from DM since I didn't knew you posted the same thing:
Ask Tsukihimates. They have discord channel.
My guess is that like usually in VN Japanese engines font is rendered in duospace manner and anything outside of ASCII table seems to use fullwidth kerning.
Ah, sorry. I didn't see conversation and still don't see it. It seems like fresh users can't PM other ones until they write 5 messages on forum.
Yes, it most likely is. It's said on Tsukihimates' site that "game engine only supports monospaced text out of the box" and "engine ignores all font kerning". It's all about encoding, isn't it? Many games on 'Kirikiri' engine had same problem with fonts too, and solution was changing an encoding in the executable file. So I thought maybe here's similar problem.
I can't find Tsukihimates' discord, could you say me where I can?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's all about encoding, isn't it?
No. It's about engine. Engine must support non fixed kerning. For example NIS engine supports duo and non fixed font and it's just a matter of one bool in font class.

If it's true with KiriKiri, it just shows that they tied kerning with encoding. But that's not a rule.

Sieroju

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
No. It's about engine. Engine must support non fixed kerning. For example NIS engine supports duo and non fixed font and it's just a matter of one bool in font class.

If it's true with KiriKiri, it just shows that they tied kerning with encoding. But that's not a rule.
So I need to dig deeper in engine anyway, right? I just don't know how to do it. Many ways wants from me 'Key' for unpacking. I'm not kidding, whenever I search 'unpacking ROM files' it's give me 'dude you need key to continue operation'. But why? Maybe I do wrong? That's what I'd wish to know then.

Svartskogen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So I need to dig deeper in engine anyway, right? I just don't know how to do it. Many ways wants from me 'Key' for unpacking. I'm not kidding, whenever I search 'unpacking ROM files' it's give me 'dude you need key to continue operation'. But why? Maybe I do wrong? That's what I'd wish to know then.
It would be easier to just contact Tsukihimates in person and ask them about kerning and what could be done to change it. If you haven't had any experience with debugging Switch or game engines before, you are unlikely to be able to patch it yourself. "Keys" are the Switch encryption keys - you could dump it with Lockpick_RCM. You need them to decrypt your game files.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It would be easier to just contact Tsukihimates in person and ask them about kerning and what could be done to change it. If you haven't had any experience with debugging Switch or game engines before, you are unlikely to be able to patch it yourself. "Keys" are the Switch encryption keys - you could dump it with Lockpick_RCM. You need them to decrypt your game files.
Or if you have actual Switch just use DBI to mount romfs to MTP.

Sieroju

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It would be easier to just contact Tsukihimates in person and ask them about kerning
I'll ask them, but I can't just sit around and hope on them. Besides, it already was the similar problem on github. Answer was "we can't solve this now", and it's for portuguese and polish languages, which are not based on cyrillic script.
"Keys" are the Switch encryption keys - you could dump it with Lockpick_RCM
It's for 'prod.keys' and etc? Well, there's bunch of them in network. Or they're not the same?
Post automatically merged:

Or if you have actual Switch just use DBI to mount romfs to MTP.
I thought to buy Switch, but then bought a new motherboard and RAM instead lol. Is there really no way around it without Switch? Because I see actual Switch everywhere, every single tutorial.

Last edited by Sieroju,

Svartskogen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll ask them, but I can't just sit around and hope on them. Besides, it already was the similar problem on github. Answer was "we can't solve this now", and it's for portuguese and polish languages, which are not based on cyrillic script.

It's for 'prod.keys' and etc? Well, there's bunch of them in network. Or they're not the same?
Post automatically merged:

I thought to buy Switch, but then bought a new motherboard and RAM instead lol. Is there really no way around it without Switch? Because I see actual Switch everywhere, every single tutorial.
In case of polish translation it was simple glyphs replacement in the font file. Then, in translation script, diacritics were replaced with corresponding chars from mentioned fonts. That's how they did it. You could try it with cyrillic script too. Just try to replace some characters in the font with usage of FontForge tool.
Yeah, prod.keys - you could use one you find somewhere on the internet, there's no need to own a Switch ;)

Sieroju

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Just try to replace some characters in the font with usage of FontForge tool.
Unfortunately, the letters are becoming too thin and starts to go off from frame. That's why I search the way to cow the engine.
Yeah, prod.keys - you could use one you find somewhere on the internet, there's no need to own a Switch ;)
Ah great, thanks! Then I'll try it. The result will be posted here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU