Hardware Help my Wii‘s broken !!!

MarkocrafterLP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, I jailbroken my Wii once and then because I didn't really know what I was doing I stopped and reset my Wii to the factory settings. Then I jailbroken it again and installed everything (I wanted to put channels on my Wii and I think that's how I broke it I have done this) in case I haven't used it for a while and wanted to turn it on again, the power button lights up green, the fan at the back is turning, discs go in but it doesn't turn unless the game is already in there before it starts then it turns it too but there is no picture of course Checked whether it's the TV or the cable but it's something else that I don't know. I've already asked on another site called ''Gutefrage.de'' but no one knew exactly what it was, which is why I was sent to GBATemp. It must be the Wii repair it is from my late father please!

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've never heard or read about this issue before.

I do know though, the Wii can be turned on automatically by inserting a Game Disc...
So, if I'm understanding correctly, you say it doesn't turn on unless there's a game in... does that mean the Power Button is broken? Can you turn it on with the WiiMote "ON Button"?

If your Wii is not turning on normally, it could indicate a Power Brick malfunction.
Another possibility is that the Bluetooth Module or WiFi card broke or disconnected from the console.
Also, the same can happen if the Disc Tray is disconnected from the Wii's board.

Less likely, software malfunction, a.k.a. Brick.
You said you installed Channels... can you at least tell us exactly which channels you installed?

If you reply something like: "Wii Dev Menu 1.0.wad" then I'm gonna make fun of you.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold reset when you power on your wii and see if it boots into priiloader if it does then go to the homebrew channel and uninstall the wads you installed unless its a system menu wad.

MarkocrafterLP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, the Wii turns on (the power button lights up green, the fan at the back spins, but at the front where the CDs come in, it doesn't light up blue when you turn it on, which it should actually) but there's no picture when you put a game in. It pulls it out, but it spins They don't (unless you put the disc in the Wii off, it lights up blue at the front like it should, it turns, but no picture) I forgot to mention the Wiimotion controllers don't connect, they flash for like 5 times then they go out, I can't remember exactly which channels I wanted to install but not wii dev 1.0wad I think I wanted to install an n64 homebrew channel I have no idea you asked me something, how am I supposed to know that exactly for almost 6 months?😅
Post automatically merged:

Hold reset when you power on your wii and see if it boots into priiloader if it does then go to the homebrew channel and uninstall the wads you installed unless its a system menu wad.
It don‘t boot

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Then I jailbroken it again and installed everything (I wanted to put channels on my Wii and I think that's how I broke it I have done this)
Easy question to find out if hardware or software problem:
Did the problem occur right after installing some channels/WADs/whatever and a reboot? Very likely software issue then with very slim chances of recovery.
If it happened spontaneously/independent from installing things it is very likely hardware issue.

site called ''Gutefrage.de' but no one knew exactly what it was, which is why I was sent to GBATemp.
I'm surprised somebody on that platform sent you here. Maybe I shouldn't give up hope to find something of value there someday after all. :creep:

What do you mean oh noes?
Don't have too high expectations in a proper reply.

MarkocrafterLP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Easy question to find out if hardware or software problem:
Did the problem occur right after installing some channels/WADs/whatever and a reboot? Very likely software issue then with very slim chances of recovery.
If it happened spontaneously/independent from installing things it is very likely hardware issue.

I'm surprised somebody on that platform sent you here. Maybe I shouldn't give up hope to find something of value there someday after all. :creep:

Don't have too high expectations in a proper reply.
The problem was not after i install some channel the wii has worked like 5 times and then I don’t use it and I have a wii hdmi adapter so I needed the hdmi cable for something else i took it out (I shaked and pulled it) then i have put it back in After that day I would play some wii and it don‘t works

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The problem was not after i install some channel the wii has worked like 5 times
We can assume some kind of hardware issue then and no user error within homebrew software. The latter makes certain people lacking basic decency and empathy openly show an unhealthy amount of schadenfreude on regular basis.

took it out (I shaked and pulled it) then i have put it back in
No idea why shaking is needed to remove an HDMI cable from an adapter. :wtf:

My main concern is if you applied excessive force on the connector in the console. If we have to take possible physical breakage in account complexity will rise (making troubleshooting harder).
====

Process of elimination (find out what is NOT the problem):
  • Use a different, known good power supply
  • Use a known good composite cable on a known good TV input
    • Please don't tell me things like "My new TV does not have analog inputs." There are enough older TVs out there for a quick test.
  • Remove all things not needed for normally starting a Wii (SD card, USB drive, GC Memory Cards/Controllers, game disc)
The whole thing could be a coincidence. Especially early series of the Wii are aging and showing spontanous failures therefore. One known issue is an internal voltage converter not working anymore. In that case the Wii can still be turned on with an already synced Wii Remote. Seemingly the console is on then (green light, fan, all drive motors) but won't fully start up and shows no signal.

As already mentioned above: Disconnected or defective Bluetooth and/or WiFi module will result in crash/black screen within official software (BootMii if installed in boot2 and Priiloader should still work)

In the end you have to do the troubleshooting yourself. Nobody has a magic crystal ball showing us the solution.

Good luck.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

MarkocrafterLP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We can assume some kind of hardware issue then and no user error within homebrew software. The latter makes certain people lacking basic decency and empathy openly show an unhealthy amount of schadenfreude on regular basis.

No idea why shaking is needed to remove an HDMI cable from an adapter. :wtf:

My main concern is if you applied excessive force on the connector in the console. If we have to take possible physical breakage in account complexity will rise (making troubleshooting harder).
====

Process of elimination (find out what is NOT the problem):
  • Use a different, known good power supply
  • Use a known good composite cable on a known good TV input
    • Please don't tell me things like "My new TV does not have analog inputs." There are enough older TVs out there for a quick test.
  • Remove all things not needed for normally starting a Wii (SD card, USB drive, GC Memory Cards/Controllers, game disc)
The whole thing could be a coincidence. Especially early series of the Wii are aging and showing spontanous failures therefore. One known issue is an internal voltage converter not working anymore. In that case the Wii can still be turned on with an already synced Wii Remote. Seemingly the console is on then (green light, fan, all drive motors) but won't fully start up and shows no signal.

As already mentioned above: Disconnected or defective Bluetooth and/or WiFi module will result in crash/black screen within official software (BootMii if installed in boot2 and Priiloader should still work)

In the end you have to do the troubleshooting yourself. Nobody has a magic crystal ball showing us the solution.

Good luck.
Wait a minute are you german?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Fully off-topic, but okay...
Wait a minute are you german?
What makes you think so? My nickname? Or my country setting in the profile? Or was it the usage of the word "schadenfreude" ? (Even Lisa Simpson explained that cool word to Homer in the English original -- great classic).

Whatever might be the reason for you deducting it: To my shame(!) I have to admit it: Yes, I am from Germany, but don't get any fancy ideas: This forum is still strictly English language only (unless you count the "Groups" feature, where other language groups are allowed... but largely inactive).
====

With that out of the way: How is troubleshooting the Wii problem going?

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1711451337942.png

"schadenfreude" ? (Even Lisa Simpson explained that cool word to Homer in the English original -- great classic).

(also they kept the thing untranslated in Italian, too!)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, we may not write in German here.
🤦‍♀️➕:cry:➕🤦‍♂️
I told you above to not get any fancy ideas. Your post might even get deleted. Other languages are only allowed in the foreign language groups. If you have trouble expressing things in English: Deepl.com does a very good job regarding machine translation.

Gee. This happened before a few times. Maybe I should move my profile to another country and refrain from using those few German words that made it into English to prevent this from happening.

Please let us stay on topic.
If you have still interest in troubleshooting your Wii console, then please start the process of elimination and post your progress.
You can get hints and help on the forum, but ultimately you have to do things yourself.

MarkocrafterLP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, we may not write in German here.
🤦‍♀️➕:cry:➕🤦‍♂️
I told you above to not get any fancy ideas. Your post might even get deleted. Other languages are only allowed in the foreign language groups. If you have trouble expressing things in English: Deepl.com does a very good job regarding machine translation.

Gee. This happened before a few times. Maybe I should move my profile to another country and refrain from using those few German words that made it into English to prevent this from happening.

Please let us stay on topic.
If you have still interest in troubleshooting your Wii console, then please start the process of elimination and post your progress.
You can get hints and help on the forum, but ultimately you have to do things yourself.
Ok i edit it and now i now sorry

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto