Hardware [help] old nintendo 2ds max storage sd card??

x64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a 128gb micro sd card (with adapter) for my old nintendo 2ds. Nintendo says that 2ds supports up to 32gb of storage but I've seen on google that peeps have used 64gb sd cards. Will my micro sd card work and is there an app limit that the 2ds imposes?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a 128gb micro sd card (with adapter) for my old nintendo 2ds. Nintendo says that 2ds supports up to 32gb of storage but I've seen on google that peeps have used 64gb sd cards. Will my micro sd card work and is there an app limit that the 2ds imposes?

The maximum sized SD card the 3DS system is capable of handling is 2 TB * 16 TB (terabytes) under the FAT32 format specifications. It'll be slower the bigger your card is.

Edit - * Assuming we have the technology to produce such a large SD card or use an SSD with adapter, please see @Kubas_inko post below for the correction.

Your card meets the minimum 128 GB capacity threshold. That means your card may optionally be formatted in FAT32 + 64 KB cluster size instead of the generally recommended 32 KB cluster size if you find the 32 KB one too slow.

The install limit is 300 titles per a single Nintendo 3DS folder if available free space is not a limiting factor. You can get around this using either EmuNAND (not recommended) or GM9 scripts that switch/swap folders.

For more information about large capacity SD cards and game hording, here are several fine thread selections that go over these subjects:

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: x64

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The maximum sized SD card the 3DS system is capable of handling is 2 TB (terabytes) under the FAT32 format specifications. It'll be slower the bigger your card is.

Your card meets the minimum 128 GB capacity threshold. That means your card may optionally be formatted in FAT32 + 64 KB cluster size instead of the generally recommended 32 KB cluster size if you find the 32 KB one too slow.

The install limit is 300 titles per a single Nintendo 3DS folder if available free space is not a limiting factor. You can get around this using either EmuNAND (not recommended) or GM9 scripts that switch/swap folders.

For more information about large capacity SD cards and game hording, here are several fine thread selections that go over these subjects:
Where did you get those 2TB?
Because fat32 can go up to 16TB with 4Mb sector size (just saying) ;)

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where did you get those 2TB?
Cause fat32 can go up to 16TB with 4Mb sector size(just saying) ;)

Lol, I got my facts wrong and mixed up with up to 2 TB support for desktop operating systems on FAT32. Thanks for the correction. It's kinda refreshing to learn a new info about storage drives. :)

Reactions: x64

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Lol, I got my facts wrong and mixed up with up to 2 TB support for desktop operating systems on FAT32. Thanks for the correction. It's kinda refreshing to learn a new info about storage drives. :)
To be honest tho, 3DS might have some limitations to the storage (from the software side of things).
Just like windows have the 2TB limit for fat32 HDD size.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest tho, 3DS might have some limitations to the storage (from the software side of things).
Just like windows have the 2TB limit for fat32 HDD size.

I wonder how the little handheld will fare when combined with a 1 TB micro SDXC in the coming years. Guess it won't matter that much when the 3DS successor comes out.

If someone took all the 3DS library games (eShop + cart roms) from all six regions, official themes, custom made user themes, old emulators and roms (NDS, GBA, SNES, NES, PCE, SMS, etc. etc.), layeredFS hacks, and homebrew apps, there would still be free space left.

Imagine if you went on a tour guide at Nintendo HQ with this "ultimate" 3DS, somehow got the chance to meet their president and/or other exes, and explained/showed them your possession. I'm curious to know if this highest level of disrespectful trolling would be met with actual murder or arrest, despite the Japanese people being known for their modesty and tendency to avoid social conflict confrontation. :rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1