Hardware Help Overclocking moniter

Mythical

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought this moniter from best buy a while ago. It's just been kinda chilling since it's not the best. Recently I was able to overclock it to 75Hz using CRU. I was also able to get it to go all the way to 144 hz without any frameskipping. The only problem is whenever I go above 75 on the moniter it has this unending popup that stays on the screen moving around. This line of tvs has firmware files and I was able to find a few of them. This tv is also by default able to go to 75hz on other resolutions just not the highest one (it can with the use of cru). I'm thinking they have a limit built into the firmware (of 75hz, 76hz+ is a no go) that I may be able to edit with a hex editor or something. I know it may not work because they may check the firmware files for validity, but having a perfectly good 144hz moniter that I can't and/or won't really use otherwise sucks. The model number is NS-19D310NA19 . If you google that or put it into insignia products.com you can find firmware files under the support section. So in the end I'm just looking to get rid of that annoying popup after I go over 75hz. Anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear em :) They can be completely unrelated to the firmware thing

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
That text block was kinda hard to read. Anyway...

First, you should say what the pop up says or give a screenshot.

It sounds like you’re going above the bandwidth available to your graphics-monitor link when you push above 75hz. This is kinda common if either your graphics card or your cable does not support a high enough bandwidth to feed those extra frames. E.g HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4, USB 3.2, etc.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You seem to not understand how electronics and specifically screens work, AT ALL. A screen can never go past the refresh rate it was designed to max out at, as going past that involves the crystal oscillators inside working on frequencies they aren't meant to handle, which will cause them to burn, get fried, get heavily decalibrated (and stop working altogether) while definitely causing display issues and whatnot for the little time they will still function. Software decides framerate, but HARDWARE decides the actual limit through refresh rate. You can set a higher framerate through what's allowed using software, but the screen will still only show up to what the refresh rate allows. On a screen that only supports 75Hz, setting 144FPS will still only show 75 no matter what you do with the other frames being lost in the process, resulting in a choppy/distorted/teared output, you can't overcome hardware limitations and any discrepancy between refresh rate and framerate result in choppy output/screen tearing, that's what V-sync does in games for example, it matches the two so there aren't issues.

So to sum up, you can't "overclock" screens without frying them out and you can't (normally and without severe side effects) go past the hardware limit set by the maximum supported refresh rate your screen is designed to have.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-19D310NA19/6164904

So this thing doesn't have HDMI?
If it were a 720p screen with HDMI 1.4 it should be easily able to do 144 hz (if the screen is able to).
Bit since this is just a vga/component (?) cable model, I think you should count yourself lucky that you get 75 Hz (it's already better than 60 Hz).

@ThoD
Look up blurbuster's forum.
It's possible, done it myself before.

Last edited by DCG,
Reactions: Mythical and ThoD

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-19D310NA19/6164904

So this thing doesn't have HDMI?
If it were a 720p screen with HDMI 1.4 it should be easily able to do 144 hz (if the screen is able to).
Bit since this is just a vga/component (?) cable model, I think you should count yourself lucky that you get 75 Hz (it's already better than 60 Hz).

@ThoD
Look up blurbuster's forum.
It's possible, done it myself before.
If that's the model, it says on that page it supports HDMI. It's just that by default screens tell the OS what their max refresh rates are (assuming it's not a REALLY old CTR from before 1995), so that's why no higher framerates are allowed to be chosen through the standard OS display settings.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Actually there are some screens which can overclock their refresh rate (such as the recent Asus ROG monitors). The gains from this are debatable, but they do exist.

There are also many screens that have a variable refresh rate (such as G-sync and FreeSync monitors). They usually cap out at 120Hz or 144Hz, but I have heard of ones that go up to 240Hz.

I think it’s stupid, but then again I’m happy gaming on a 1080p 60Hz and 1440p 60Hz screen. I don’t need 4K or HDR or 10-bit colour depth or buttery smooth high refresh rates or 3D oscillation or curved screen gimmicks.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@ThoD
Ok, seem to have missed the hdmi in the description (i was looking at the specs).

Also, do read up on the subject of ocing a screen here...
https://www.blurbusters.com/
Cru overwrites the profiles the screen sends to the pc, kind of like overclocking a cpu trough the base clock.
To make sure the oc actually works, you have to use blurbuster's screen tests and a program that runs "natively" on the pc (no browser), to check for frame skipping (missing a frame).

My old asus tn panel would do 75 hz fine, but would start skipping at 80 hz. Some panels can just run higher than others, same as with golden cpu's.
The fact that the included profiles limit it to 60 is just that all panels run great that way and people know what to expect.

Hell, my old alienware m17x r4 would run at 70 or something hz.

@op
So let's assume the thing has hdmi 1.4, so bandwidth should not be a problem on 720p.
If it's a message from the screen itself you're probably out of luck, if you can't disable it from the osd menu...
My be

Reactions: Mythical

Mythical

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ThoD
Ok, seem to have missed the hdmi in the description (i was looking at the specs).

Also, do read up on the subject of ocing a screen here...
https://www.blurbusters.com/
Cru overwrites the profiles the screen sends to the pc, kind of like overclocking a cpu trough the base clock.
To make sure the oc actually works, you have to use blurbuster's screen tests and a program that runs "natively" on the pc (no browser), to check for frame skipping (missing a frame).

My old asus tn panel would do 75 hz fine, but would start skipping at 80 hz. Some panels can just run higher than others, same as with golden cpu's.
The fact that the included profiles limit it to 60 is just that all panels run great that way and people know what to expect.

Hell, my old alienware m17x r4 would run at 70 or something hz.

@op
So let's assume the thing has hdmi 1.4, so bandwidth should not be a problem on 720p.
If it's a message from the screen itself you're probably out of luck, if you can't disable it from the osd menu...
My be
It's a message from the screen itself. It's caused when I use cru to overlcock anything past 75. I'm just looking for a way to go past 75 to test if I could get something like 80 or 90 hz. To be honest the moniter doesn't really get used too much. If the moniter has a chance to get messed up that's alright (I have another moniter that is 1080p at 60hzwith great color). It seems though that as @ThoD D stated the os of the tv prevents anything past 75hz. Probably silly, but I was going to try and edit the systems firmware file to change the limit from 75 to 90 then update the tv.
I also am running through HDMI and that specified model is the one I own.

Last edited by Mythical,

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It's a message from the screen itself. It's caused when I use cru to overlcock anything past 75. I'm just looking for a way to go past 75 to test if I could get something like 80 or 90 hz. To be honest the moniter doesn't really get used too much. If the moniter has a chance to get messed up that's alright (I have another moniter that is 1080p at 60hzwith great color). It seems though that as @ThoD D stated the os of the tv prevents anything past 75hz. Probably silly, but I was going to try and edit the systems firmware file to change the limit from 75 to 90 then update the tv.
I also am running through HDMI and that specified model is the one I own.
Like I said, it's not the OS, it's the hardware of the monitor itself that prevents you from going higher, even if you trick the OS to go higher you can't display more than the hard limit the hardware is capable to go at, since going above that while it will "technically" be 75+ FPS, only the 75 will actually be displayed on a 75Hz monitor. Like it was mentioned though, there are monitors that can go to very high refresh rates and simply have them locked out, in which case it's just to prevent the screen from drawing too much electricity, so it doesn't bring down the energy class (screens that draw more than 50Watts can only be B class or below). However, pretty much all monitors that have functions like that which let you unlock the higher rates are expensive and relatively recent (if it can go as high as 120 with default settings then it may be possible to go a bit higher, but screens that cap out at 75 are just too old).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    im sure half the responses won't be literal racial slurs or "drop table" jokes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Look, it's China. They know what it's like when you give a poll to half a billion trolls.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much dollar do you think it is?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    ONE MILLION DOLLA
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I know the pricing of electronics nowadays isn't "how much it actually costs" but "how much we can get away with", but putting up a poll is just cynical.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably $150 someone said Anbernic said around the same price as rg556
    you know which game i wish they would rerelease
    sonic unleashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make it a happy meal toy
    that game's engine is really fucking intensive so it runs like literal shit on xbox 360 and ps3
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah I'm getting value creep again. I look at a $50 console "but for just a few more dollars you could get XYZ" and I end up considering the Steam Deck.
    +1
    like the lighting in that game was genuinely so good
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not getting dragged into that again.
    i dont get why they didn't port the one game that ran the worst on consoles, to pc
    like you port everything to pc except the one game where it would make the most sense. why. what do you gain from this
    is sega just personally fucking with me? are they laughing while watching me through my kinect camera as i get up to restart my xbox for the third time because the game froze again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Buy handhelds from five below better quality
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Valve probably going to do another refresh of the deck this fall with rog ally like specs tbh
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A smaller form factor would be nice too.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A shield portable 2 would be nice aye Nvidia
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The big leap in all things tech is when carbon based chips start hitting.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Longer battery life cooler temps and faster! What's not to like lol (probably expensive as hell)
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [checks my dildo(s) batteries, coolant and lube] :O [promptly replaces them] :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [checks my batteries, coolant and lube] :O [promptly replaces them] :D