OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hey gang,
I just got an AR Max Evo to softmod my ps2, then discovered it's apparently one of the "newer" models that doesn't come with the media player function to easily transfer things such as freemcboot to a memory card!

Looking things up, I find there's an exploit called the "Xmas Loader" that is designed to get around this. Excellent! Then after I DL it and look at the readme, I realize I'm way too much of a noob/idiot/whatever to understand exactly what I'm supposed to do. Can anyone out there help me in as detailed instructions as they can? I'm honestly perplexed here...

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A.) I don't have 007 Agent Under Fire
B.) if I wanted to do a swap trick, I wouldn't have gotten the AR Max EVO to begin with.
The point of the original post is that there's a workaround/loader to fix the problem with newer EVO's (the ones that have taken off the media player option from the menu), I just don't understand the instructions.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
If the ar max doesn't have the media player, you can't install fmcb. You also didn't mention which version of the ps2 you had.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If the ar max doesn't have the media player, you can't install fmcb.
Not true. There are other exploits you can use if you can load a save to the memory card, which would still be possible with ARMax. You can use a PS1 game to load a save containing ULaunch. Its what I used to use before I found out about FreeMCBoot. Once that is on the memory card, you can boot ULaunch and use that to install FreeMCBoot.

Hopefully GBATemp doesn't mind links from this site.
http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/armax2.php

That guide should get you going.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For AR Max version 3.x sledge on psx-scene has a detailed write up on how to boot up homebrew with the xmas loader. It involves using a modified codelist, and save modifying. Google for the guide, if you can not figure out their instructions then it may be easier to install FMB swaping a PS2 game or other method.

pyromaniac123

Trophies
XP
Country
If the ar max doesn't have the media player, you can't install fmcb.
Not true. There are other exploits you can use if you can load a save to the memory card, which would still be possible with ARMax. You can use a PS1 game to load a save containing ULaunch. Its what I used to use before I found out about FreeMCBoot. Once that is on the memory card, you can boot ULaunch and use that to install FreeMCBoot.

Hopefully GBATemp doesn't mind links from this site.
http://bootleg.sksap...fmcb/armax2.php

That guide should get you going.

Thing is with this is that you have to have a usb stick that's compatible with ar max. Buying a copy of 007 agent under fire is probably the cheapest way of doing it since the game is cheap.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thing is with this is that you have to have a usb stick that's compatible with ar max. Buying a copy of 007 agent under fire is probably the cheapest way of doing it since the game is cheap.
If he was planning on using ARMax in the first place, chances are he would have been planning on using a USB drive in the first place. Better yet, this would not require him to buy extra stuff to do so.

pyromaniac123

Trophies
XP
Country
If he was planning on using ARMax in the first place, chances are he would have been planning on using a USB drive in the first place. Better yet, this would not require him to buy extra stuff to do so.

Would of been cheaper to do the game swap trick though.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
He has explained he didn't want to do the swap trick, he has already bought a ARMax disc with plans to use USB. Why not think of ways he can use what he has rather than tell him to spend more money and use a method he didn't want to use.

choconado

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the record, the AR Max EVO comes with a compatible USB stick--It's kind of what makes it the EVO model. Unfortunately, newer models apparently have removed the "media player" option (as well as whatever the fourth out of five options is--the menu is unchanged, just with these two options taken off)--I suspect that perhaps they may have seen some trouble from Sony due to the fact that this was the most direct and easiest way to mod a PS2, as you don't have to do anything potentially harmful or permanent to your system for it to work.

Meanwhile, while not directly answering my question, that ps1 exploit you posted may be what I need, Delta. Thanks, I'll be sure to try it. It says it's for pre EVO versions of AR Max, but I don't see why it can't still work...

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah, it works. I have an Evo version of ARMax, and I still used that kind of method since I didn't know about FreeMCBoot, and hated the glitchy save backup software in ARMax, it was responsible for several saves of mine getting corrupted. You are aware of the flaws it has right?

choconado

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah, but softmodding was the first and biggest reason I grabbed it. I've heard especially that it's a bad idea to try the internet update--pretty much everyone that left a negative review at all of the thing on Amazon said as much.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well, if you decide to use the cheat function, use this to keep the code list to only games you want on there. Saves a lot of time loading a few games over all of them. Unless you are crazy like me. I have over 300 games in the code list because I never stop buying more games.

http://www.mirality.co.nz/maxcode1.php

choconado

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aw dammit. I just tried that method, and once I get to the part where I do the work on the ps2, it doesn't read the files I created/moved onto the USB stick! :nayps3: what the hell man?!

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Really? Bugger. I'd link you to a program that automated making the save file (run it, pop the PS1 disc into the PC, it gets the data and makes the save) but I lost the page link years ago.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not quite a solution but I had the same problem, the wrong AR Max Evo package, it didn't even come with a USB stick, it came with a 16MB memory card? I hadn't bought it for this purpose at the time but I later tried and it doesn't have the max media player option either so.
I just wound up getting a FMCB memory card already set up at no extra charge with a used PS2 (my original slim unit was stolen..), and if you have more than one memory card available to you, I'd recommend finding someone to install universal for you on the trading forum.
Heck, since you're in the US, and I have a spare and practically useless 512mb MicroSD, I could even back up what's on the memory card and throw in a spare cheapo USB reader with it.
No charge, I'd just ask postage. It would need to be done through the trading forum though.

choconado

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I've been putting off the "have someone do it for me" option (I got three ps2 memory cards when I bought my fat unit here as my xmas gift to myself, and have only used one so far), mostly as a pride thing, as it invalidates the money I wasted on the AR MAX. It is an EVO model, complete with USB, but as I said earlier, some research has revealed that after like, 2005, they discontinued the "media player" option. Perhaps because everyone was using it as the easiest and safest way to softmod.

I might take you up on your offer to at least work the memory card--don't need any backup media, I've got that in spades. I'll think about though, so thanks for offering that up.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that my AR Max package actually did to make the price tag worth it at the time (I'd gotten it because of SMT DDS1.. excessive use of random battles later in the game) was, that it used PS2's network connection to update the cheat-code database.
I remember expecting to be able to back up saves to USB and other stuff and being severely disappointed I'd gotten the wrong one. I think it actually came in a silver tin but maybe just a silver box. Looked like this: http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/PS2-Action-Replay-MAX---USA__EF000306.aspx
but came with a 16mb max memory card and it cost more like $35. Likely I mistook the packaging & it wasn't an Evo package at all; and seeing what those cost, yeah, it's tough to be defeated.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I got mine pre owned, but its been damn useful for cheating when I'm in the mood. Using AI only characters in some games is fun, even if they aren't always balanced for such. Save downloads were also useful before I found out about ULaunchElf.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @TimeMaster, what happenned?