Holy Grail Prototype/Beta.

Robert Newbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, here's one: What prototypes/betas would you love to play/dissect?

Mine would be Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Unlike many other Nintendo games, a lot of pre-release screens were shown in magazines. So, we got to see a lot of what was eventually cut. Nimbus Land in particular has all sorts of changes, including a meal sequence with Valentina and Luigi. At some point, Princess Peach and Mario were planned to be prisoners in a jail cell. A really early version of Toadofsky's area was found in the final game, and it looks distinctly different from the final's art style. There's a bunch more, but I'll stop there.

bedbug1226

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steambot Chronicles 2 ps2/ps3 demo from the Tokyo Game Show.

I know it existed as people have reported to have played it at the Steambot Chronicles booth.
Steambot Chronicles is my favorite game of all time and I just want to see what the second one could have been.

If anyone sees one of these please let me know as I believe it to be lost media.

Last edited by bedbug1226,

Robert Newbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a while, and I wanted to add another holy grail to the list:

Fear Effect Inferno
I recall enjoying the original two games when I was young. I forget quite a bit, but the mix of animated backgrounds and tank controls was unique and memorable. The devs for Sedna got to play through the beta, so it exists somewhere. It'd be cool to see how far the devs got before it was canceled.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Sonic Adventure.....from when it was on Sega Saturn.

I know Sonic Jam's Sonic World was based on the prototype and remnants of this era remained even in the final game.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Certified GBATemp Boomer
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sonic Adventure.....from when it was on Sega Saturn.

I know Sonic Jam's Sonic World was based on the prototype and remnants of this era remained even in the final game.
I wonder what happened to the Sonic Xtreme E3 beta? There aren't any publically available builds that are similar to what was shown.

This right here:

Robert Newbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ocarina of time pre-release builds would be super cool honestly
I'd love to see the beta of Super Mario 64 from 1995, so we can finally put this creepypasta garbage to rest.
The mario 64 beta and the n64 version of mother 3 aka earthbound 64
There's some early content for Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time that has surfaced over the years. In the case of SM64, test levels and even a Luigi model have come to light. For OoT, early environments and prerenders have been found. Anything Mother 3/EB64 related would be great, though I'm happy the GBA version was completed.

Yeah, Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Mother 3 prototypes/betas would be fascinating to dissect.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
There's some early content for Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time that has surfaced over the years. In the case of SM64, test levels and even a Luigi model have come to light. For OoT, early environments and prerenders have been found. Anything Mother 3/EB64 related would be great, though I'm happy the GBA version was completed.

Yeah, Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Mother 3 prototypes/betas would be fascinating to dissect.
Oh and the banjo kazooie betas like project dream, kazoo, banjo kazoo and the mid 1997 to 1998 beta

SylverReZ

Certified GBATemp Boomer
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cuz people thought it was too cute and colorful?
Chris Marlow, a software engineer working at Rare, said that "there was an awful lot of content and there were lots of fun ideas, but it just really wasn't gelling as a finished game." So after some back and forth between the workers, they turned the cutesy gameplay into something for adults, and surprisingly it sold well.

• Wow
Reactions: Xdqwerty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag