OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
The Homebrew Bounty is an event that was originally initiated by GBAtemp a few years back. The idea was to allow us to gather funds from websites and visitors, funds that would be entirely reversed to homebrew developers. In short, this project is meant to be a reward to the people behind the awesome games, applications, emulators and menu/loaders that everyone can download and enjoy on their consoles, free of charge.

hb.png

This year's edition will be a bit different. Firstly, this bounty will not directly rely on user donations. Instead, it is us GBAtemp who will be funding the prizes. And for the most cynical among you: don't worry about it, we've got it all covered this time. The money's already here waiting to be given away! ;-) We have decided to split this bounty into five different categories.

Homebrew developers will have a little more than 4 months to work on their project. All kinds of projects may be submitted: games, applications, emulators, loaders... the only requirement is that the project must either be completely new, or come in a new version that presents significant updates. There is no particular definition of "significant update", all projects are eligible but the importance of updates will probably be decisive in the jury's mind.

Speaking of which: winners of each competition will be elected by a jury composed of knowledged and notorious people from the flashcart and homebrew scenes. Results will be disclosed after the bounty is over, a little over 4 months from now. The limit date for submitting your application is May 31st. Let us now discover the categories that will be worked on in this bounty.

nintendodsi.png
Nintendo DSi Homebrew. $750 in donations!
With the release of the new CycloDS iEvolution card, DSi mode homebrew is now possible! To get the DSi homebrew scene started, we have decided to award a $750 donation to the top three homebrew that will be released.
First prize: $500
Second prize: $150
Third prize: $100

scdstwoshoptemp.jpg
Supercard DSTWO Homebrew. $250 in donations!
The Supercard DSTWO is a particular flashcart that comes with a 360MHz CPU and extra RAM memory. This allows for advanced homebrew developments such as GBA and SNES emulators, video/media players and more. We will donate a total of $250 to the winners of this competition.
First prize: $150
Second prize: $60
Third prize: $40

ndsbountyimg.png
Nintendo DS Homebrew. $500 in donations!
Even if the regular Nintendo DS development scene has been relatively quiet lately, we still believe great homebrew projects can come out of it. There are some extremely talented people out there and we are going to reward them for their work. We will donate a total of $500 to the winners of this competition.
First prize: $300
Third prize: $50

wiitransparent.png
Nintendo Wii Homebrew. $500 in donations!
There's been hot DS related news recently, but with the Wii cool stuff happens all throughout the year! The Wii scene is extremely active and we feel it is only fair to reward people who work behind the scenes to make our consoles better. $500 will be awarded to the winners of this competition.
First prize: $300
Third prize: $50

hb.png
GBAtemp Special Prize. $500 in donations
There is no submitting entries for this one. We have decided that we would be rewarding one author whose contribution to the Nintendo DS scene was particularly significant. The winning project author will receive the entire $500. A special jury composed of GBAtemp members will determine which project should be awarded the prize.
Prize: $500

So that's right, GBAtemp will be awarding a total of $2500 in donations! That's five time mores than the original bounty! Details on how we managed to fund the bounty are available by request. If you wish to contribute to the bounty and offer donations to developers, send your donations via PayPal to filetrip/at/gmail/dot/com and let us know which category or categories your donation should go to. Your name or nickname will be publicly displayed in news articles about donation updates. Don't be afraid to donate just one dollar: if every member of the GBAtemp community did so, we would be able to gather over $250,000... Every little bit helps! GBAtemp also invites partner websites, flashcart teams and everyone to join in and make a one-off donation, let's make this a common effort!

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How come the supercard gets so little loving? I mean weren't supercard dstwo's sold to fund this whole thing?

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trippy said:
How come the supercard gets so little loving? I mean weren't supercard dstwo's sold to fund this whole thing?

The DSTWO SDK is bad, the iEVO team donated a shitload of money for the DSi section, and SC team donated nothing.

As a DSTWO owner I don't like it either but I honestly can't blame the temp.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have a late suggestion (which you probably will ignore), but why not add to the bounty ROM hacks?
It can be a translation, or a complete makeover.
I think that would bring much better results than what we have right now.
Wouldn't you want to see a cool hack of JUS with different characters? or maybe a translation of Luminous Arc 3?
I mean, seriously - there's only like 1-2 months left, why no extend the time and add that category? so far we aren't seeing amazing homebrew, but there are amazing ROM hacks out there. If ROM hackers get something for their hard work, I bet we would see far superior creations.
It would be a shame to throw this amount of money...

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Varia said:
Hi, I have a late suggestion (which you probably will ignore), but why not add to the bounty ROM hacks?
It can be a translation, or a complete makeover.
I think that would bring much better results than what we have right now.
Wouldn't you want to see a cool hack of JUS with different characters? or maybe a translation of Luminous Arc 3?
I mean, seriously - there's only like 1-2 months left, why no extend the time and add that category? so far we aren't seeing amazing homebrew, but there are amazing ROM hacks out there. If ROM hackers get something for their hard work, I bet we would see far superior creations.
It would be a shame to throw this amount of money...

Because its a HOMEBREW bounty, not a ROM HACK bounty, it is meant to encourage people to take up programming for home consoles, not to encourage people to change marios hat from red to purple.

avenir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright I'm sorry to have tricked. I'm... Well I recovered the website:
http://leafmoon.users.sourceforge.net/xenonnds/pukiwiki/

Here's what I mean.
I just don't know how to use or save money properly (at least in common sense).
I think it is because I don't have any jobs currently and I haven't
think what is money actually.
If such person receives bounty, it will be just wasted, so I shouldn't
join the bounty.

Also, if I donate some money now, it can be considered as waste...
I see many people pass through street fund-raising, but I can't
do anything because of such opinion.
I should earn monthly income, at least for living (to avoid such consideration).

So I should have time to rethink about how NDS development can be
considered as hobby.

My archives are in
http://leafmoon.users.sourceforge.net/xenonnds/files/
So get it ASAP.

BTW this is the first time of official distribution of
akextract/yspatch/fwrecovery.
Very sorry about WAIO being 1.25, but you can have openpatch in xenobox
(binary patcher updatable via Retrogamefan file)

This time my archives are redistributable, hooray.

Thank you for reading this foolish message.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I highly doubt it's an advertising.
All i can see here is the recover of Xenon++ SF website.

Avenir maybe planed to enter the bounty and for all reasons he said in this post he decided to not but wished to share a last time his work.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the recovery of a website has nothing to do with the homebrew bounty. he said a bunch of stuff that sort of starts a discussion related to the bounty then advertises a site that either is not his own or this is xenoon++ on a new account.

either way its advertising a site and linking to a site that has nothing to do with the bounty.

-another world

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask but when will the next bounty be open for entries? I was working on a DS game for a competition that fell through so I decided to save my game for the next homebrew bounty.

Again, I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask but when will the next bounty be open for entries? I was working on a DS game for a competition that fell through so I decided to save my game for the next homebrew bounty.

It might not be open for quite some time. Since a 3DS or Vita hack doesn't really seem anywhere close to being done, no one is really interested in doing another Homebrew Bounty.
Once those have been hacked, most likely then there will be another Homebrew Bounty.

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It might not be open for quite some time. Since a 3DS or Vita hack doesn't really seem anywhere close to being done, no one is really interested in doing another Homebrew Bounty.
Once those have been hacked, most likely then there will be another Homebrew Bounty.
Oh, that's a bummer. I hope we'll still be able to enter DS games. I'm pretty proud of how this one is coming out.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
android and smart phones prematurely killed the psp and ds scenes. i really do not think this is the best time for a bounty. seeing as the vita and 3ds are not hacked i wouldn't expect must interest

i have already been given permission to run another bounty on my own. to do this i would need to find sponsorship from outside sources. i've been talking to some other sites to gauge the interest level, and so far it doesn't seem like it would be worth all the work i would have to put into it.

i've considered a retro bounty which would include systems like the atari 2600, nes, snes, master system, gameboy, virtual boy, etc. while homebrew is still released for those systems it isn't like there are more than 1 or 2 polished releases a year. again, i don't think such a bounty would be very successful.

sadly, as already said by both myself and the catboy, this just isn't the time for it.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @TimeMaster, what happenned?