Homebrew Homebrew, confusion with noob

minansbold

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I have little experience with homebrew. I got oot3dhax on an old 10.7 3ds so I could use PKHeX, and haven't updated it since, and I use a new 3ds XL to play games and keep updated.
I thought that would be all I need, but recently I've played through DQIX and realised I needed to connect to WiFi for a lot of the quests, which was impossible as the DS servers no longer exist. I decided I would try to get a save editor for DS games on homebrew. I found the TWLsavetool with two options:
Download Poketransporter or Pokémon Dream Radar from the eshop, which would require me to update my 3ds which I fear could prevent me from being able to use OoThax.
Or download a version that requires CFW. I followed the 3ds.hacks.guide but noticed no difference, and when trying to download the FBI.cia it had an error. Not sure what I'm supposed to do, as I don't have a micro SD reader for the new 3ds XL.
After updating my 3ds would I still be able to use OoThax as I could before?
I'm such a noob with this stuff, and I'm sure you deal with users like me all the time, and for that I apologize, but I just want the DQIX DLC
-_-

Last edited by minansbold,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should consider upgrading your 3DS with custom firmware for full homebrew control. You're using an old hax that's dainty and should be retired; it had its place. Time to move on to better.

Go back to reading that 3ds.hack.guide and figure out which of those methods listed in there is best for you in acquiring the bread-n-butter Luma3DS/GodMode9/boot9strap CFW setup.

You got:
  • ntrboot with compatible flashcart
  • DSiWare save or game injection
  • uprising newcomer, seedminer (for like £2).
There's also something called hardmod, but we won't talk about that one unless tinkering and soldering is your type of thing.

minansbold

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I'll update it. The thing is I don't particularly want full access to homebrew, I just want to be able to back up my DS games to my SD card. Does OoThax work on the latest software?

Also, isn't Dsiware for the dsi? I don't have a dsi, or an original D's, just an old 3ds and a new 3ds xl

Last edited by minansbold,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'll update it. The thing is I don't particularly want full access to homebrew, I just want to be able to back up my DS games to my SD card. Does OoThax work on the latest software?

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_3DS_exploits

OoThax.png

Nah, that hax sailed ship 2 updates ago.

When you come join the Dark Side, you can back up your .nds roms using GodMode9.

Check Dumping a Game Cartridge section.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage.html

minansbold

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice, I guess I'll give it a go when I can. Just to clarify, all I have to do is update my system and follow the instructions in the guide? (I'm an idiot so me trying to do something without being told so will most likely result in me bricking my damn 3ds)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, I guess I'll give it a go when I can. Just to clarify, all I have to do is update my system and follow the instructions in the guide? (I'm an idiot so me trying to do something without being told so will most likely result in me bricking my damn 3ds)
Your concerns for a trouble-free CFW installation is valid. Read over that 3ds.hack.guide carefully and watch some how-to youtube videos to get a general feel and visual idea of what you'll need to do.* 3DS CFW installation is relatively easy and simple to follow if you take your time and familiarize yourself to what's laid out in the guide.

* You should be careful with video tutorials as many of them out there are outdated. The general consensus of this forum is if there's conflicting procedures between the written guide vs a video, trust the 3ds.hack.guide source. Videos are only meant to be a supplement in clarifying the steps you're not quite sure how they're carried out.

Edit - Lastly, if there's something you're stuck on something, don't be afraid to ask on this thread: 3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

minansbold

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, that's really helpful, thank you. One final question, and then I'm done bothering you:
Before I follow the tutorial and download godmode9, do I need to find another shortcut to homebrew, get CIA, or anything like that, or can I just get started as soon as I update it?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Ok, that's really helpful, thank you. One final question, and then I'm done bothering you:
Before I follow the tutorial and download godmode9, do I need to find another shortcut to homebrew, get CIA, or anything like that, or can I just get started as soon as I update it?
The Guide will supply you with everything you need to install.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm not sure how oot3dhax works, but if you can, back up your games saves and entire 3DS setup in case something happens. This is if you have only a single SD card to work with.

For the shortcut, do you mean the homebrew channel launcher? There's a replacement of it that isn't in .cia form but as a .3dsx . You'll learn about Luma3DS and it's Rosalina Menu with HBL injection. You can keep that .cia installed, but it will no longer work as-is due to outdated payloads. This is okay because the latest .3dsx release does pretty much the same thing; I've had a brief experience with the CIA version before it stopped working.

If you like to keep the Homebrew Launcher as a standalone icon on HOME Menu, you can Rosalina inject the .3dsx into it. Check out this thread for more info about this: Homebrew channel (CIA shotcut) on 11.6-039 (B9S)

minansbold

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm basically asking if following every single thing from the 3ds.hacks.guide is necessary or if I simply need to download godmode9 on its own.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I'm basically asking if following every single thing from the 3ds.hacks.guide is necessary or if I simply need to download godmode9 on its own.
In order to use GodMode9 and CIA homebrew applications, an installation of boot9strap and Luma3DS is required. 3ds.hacks.guide is the recommended guide to follow. Don't skip any steps.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

minansbold

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, just followed the guide and I now can backup my NDS saves (and do much more, apparently), so thanks guys, you've been a huge help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually, never mind, my dumbass screwed something up again somehow. When backed up using godemode9 they are non-installable .nds format, so I can't open my save using the save editor. Is there any way around this?

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol