Hacking homebrew without a dvd drive possible?

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I asked this a while back but I'm kinda hoping people are now more willing to try for me / have checked this
smile.gif
. I was wondering wether running homebrew is possible without a drive installed. Naturally the drive is needed for the twilight hack and etc., but after that can one start and run for example the homebrew channel without problems without a drive?

An official channel dies shortly after you start it when a drive is absent in the Wii, hence the question. Cheers to anyone who knows
smile.gif
. Seeing as I have a fully working Wii here that only misses the drive it would be great if I could set it up to for example run linux and be my WOL-box.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I too recommend to get a flatmii, for now it's the best alternative if you don't have a drive. Maybe you should ask someone with a flatmii if the HBC works with only a flatmii connected(without drive) and no pc connected)

KiiWii said:
What about homebrew disk channel thingy and a flatmii?

http://dl.qj.net/Homebrew-Disc-Channel-v0....25072/catid/526

http://www.flatmii.com/

You can win a flatmii at www.softmii.org/v2

I guess the homebrew disc channel doesn't really replace the disc channel it's just another homebrew channel.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
KiiWii said:
I was under the impression you could make a homebrew disc, boot it via HBDC, and in this case, try load it (as an iso) via flatmii instead of a physical dvd drive?

I think the problem is that the Wii can't run ANYTHING when it doesn't detect a drive. But a flatmii can fully replace a drive, that's why i will consider buying one when my drive dies.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
@WiiPower, that is indeed the problem. The system menu works perfectly fine (the channel part) however as when a channel, regardless of which is STARTED by hitting the start button the channel starts but soon gives a black screen. The question in this is of course if, when using homebrew, this problem isn't there. Or indeed if when using flatmii the problem isn't there (which I would expect, but we can't be sure of course until someone tries
smile.gif
).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im back