• Views 22,618
  • Replies 140
  • Likes 8

pandavova

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So get the wireless Nintendo pro controller or just use joy cons. The Hori pro controller seems like a good (inexpensive) pick-up for local multiplayer at home if nothing else.
I dont know if i get the Switch.... Maybe i just download TLoZ from a special site for the WiiU... :/
(Im living in Germany, pretty expensive ._.)

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
This is why the FCC has blocked all router manufacturers giving access to custom firmware installs on their routers (messing around with output levels etc) around june/july last year?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's more likely they want backdoors in all products rather than any health concerns from overpowered wi-fi. And just general all-round control to make State Surveillance easier than it already is. In fact I'd put money on it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I dont know if i get the Switch.... Maybe i just download TLoZ from a special site for the WiiU... :/
(Im living in Germany, pretty expensive ._.)
Ah gotcha. At least it's not Australia pricing, right? xD

Hopefully CEMU has better performance by then for you poor souls willing to brave the Wii U version. :yayswitch:

Reactions: pandavova

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why the FCC has blocked all router manufacturers giving access to custom firmware installs on their routers (messing around with output levels etc) around june/july last year?

I think it was more so that people were messing around with frequencies that they were not suppose to use but the hardware didn't prevent.

edit: Yeah that was the case (source)
What exactly are these regulations? The FCC recently updated its requirements for “U-NII devices operating on the 5 Ghz bandwidth”—a designation that covers a wide range of Wi-Fi devices and routers—to stop users from modifying RF (radio frequency) devices outside of their intended parameters.

Last edited by CuriousTommy,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
This is dumb. It kills the portability of the Console.....
The large size of the Switch itself kills portability of the console :P

This Hori controller is probably perfect for at-home play for those who don't want to care about battery use (recharageable or disposable). Eventually all batteries are disposable (even rechargeable Li-Ion) because they can't hold the charge they once did & need to be replaced. Nintendo probably will make us all do some surgery to replace our (3) batteries in the Switch (assuming people even care about keeping things longer-term these days...). I think it's good that this controller is wired & (presumably) doesn't use batteries.

Reactions: pandavova

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The large size of the Switch itself kills portability of the console :P

Does the size of your 13" or 15" laptop or 10" tablet kill it's portability? I along with just about everyone else transport these things around all over the place. The size of the Switch kills its pocketabily but not its portability. The size of the 2DS pretty much kills its pocketabily but not its portability.

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the size of your 13" or 15" laptop or 10" tablet kill it's portability? I along with just about everyone else transport these things around all over the place. The size of the Switch kills its pocketabily but not its portability. The size of the 2DS pretty much kills its pocketabily but not its portability.
I guess to add on, I've had a 2ds for a while, and you can still put it in your pocket! And even when I'm wearing shorts, or something of the like with small pockets, I just bring a bag that doesn't stand out. The switch comes with a controller that can be removed from the console for even more portability.

The only thing that would kill the portability aspect of this is just the battery life. :teach:

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in order to defend Hori you go and attack Nintendo's official controller. That's actually funny.

Actually i am not defending Hori. I never even heard of them until the sd card topic. I am pointing out Nintendo's own controller looks less pleasing to the eyes then the hori. Seeing as i never used a product of Hori, i will most likely buy the nintendo one. Maybe a year or two later, if i need a replacement i will check various reviews before deciding on said replacement

Reactions: Garblant

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess to add on, I've had a 2ds for a while, and you can still put it in your pocket! And even when I'm wearing shorts, or something of the like with small pockets, I just bring a bag that doesn't stand out. The switch comes with a controller that can be removed from the console for even more portability.

The only thing that would kill the portability aspect of this is just the battery life. :teach:
For an adult yes. My boys can't even fit a 3DS in their jeans pocket. :)

Battery life? Meh, I have over half a dozen power banks in my house from 2k mA up to a couple big 20k mA. Watch the sales and you can get decent quality ones for fairly cheap. I gave out 6 KAMASHI 10K units I picked up on Amazon for $11 to various family members this Christmas.

I hardly go anywhere without one of my various day packs. I might need to get a different powerbank for the Switch depending on the whole 5-15V thing, but I am confident I can get a 15k to 20k unit for about $25 or less that will provide and additional 9 hours or so of runtime on the go without access to AC power. 12 hours of total runtime is more than I could possibly use in a 24 hour period.

Any larger battery in that thing will just make it heavier and more tiring to use.

Last edited by thorasgar,

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trump makes me ashamed to be an American, our country now lead by the guy who probably molests his daughter. Go ahead and mod this post, but I'm responding to the OP's signature that's being spammed at every single person that sees it. SO SORRY.

Reactions: chartube12

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
The size of the Switch kills its pocketabily but not its portability. The size of the 2DS pretty much kills its pocketabily but not its portability.

OK.
You offered a serious answer to what was really a throwaway half-joking comment about the Switch's (large) size.
(for what it's worth, the last time my laptop left the house was a once-off about a year ago).

Reactions: thorasgar

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For an adult yes. My boys can't even fit a 3DS in their jeans pocket. :)

Battery life? Meh, I have over half a dozen power banks in my house from 2k mA up to a couple big 20k mA. Watch the sales and you can get decent quality ones for fairly cheap. I gave out 6 KAMASHI 10K units I picked up on Amazon for $11 to various family members this Christmas.

I hardly go anywhere without one of my various day packs. I might need to get a different powerbank for the Switch depending on the whole 5-15V thing, but I am confident I can get a 15k to 20k unit for about $25 or less that will provide and additional 9 hours or so of runtime on the go without access to AC power. 12 hours of total runtime is more than I could possibly use in a 24 hour period.

Any larger battery in that thing will just make it heavier and more tiring to use.
Right, I forgot that the 2ds was primarily marketed towards kids. Still, a simple bag can remedy the portability concerns.

OK.
You offered a serious answer to what was really a throwaway half-joking comment about the Switch's (large) size.
(for what it's worth, the last time my laptop left the house was a once-off about a year ago).

Same, I only take my laptop out of the house when I need it for a project. Though, I always take my game consoles with me.

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see most adults taking this console out of the house.
Reasons,
1. Lack of games.
2. Size. The size of the switch itself is about the same as a smartphone, it is the controllers that are the issue here.
3. Smartphone is more useful as a phone/general mobile entertainment device. So many good games and Nintendo said they will be releasing 2-3 games for ios/android every year going forward.

Those are the 3 main reasons. It's just not going to be a mobile console in practice. I have a 3ds and have taken it out of the house for play only once. Just not very portable in reality.

Reactions: chartube12

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone has their own use cases. I personally try to get by with my iPad 2 air out and about whenever possible, but do lug around my rMBP whenever I need power and more than quick thumb typing to do. At home I rarely use the MacBook much preferring to compute on my 5820k, 390x, Corsair Strafe RGB MX Red Keyboard, GS 502 Porteus Core mouse and BenQ 144hz monitor. "The Beast" named after the worlds longest wooden roller coaster at Kings Island. :)

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like having the option of wired; especially a long wired controller. Even more so when I leave my controllers out for days and forget to charge them... Then I'm tethered to a short usb wire anyway.

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be cool if they allowed you to use generic $10 xbox style controllers.
The pro controller looks like an xbox controller IMO.
A person could easily get a 6-8ft usb extension and a usb controller and save 55 bucks.
I doubt they will allow this though.

Last edited by AlexanderLS,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land