Gaming How do games know they are not updated if they can't go online to check? they

kg2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep my device offline at all times.
Playing MK11 and it recognizes it needs an update. How can it know that if it can't go online to check?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm guessing consoles are never truly offline, they keep some background processes running even in airplane mode. Which raises the question of why airplane mode even exists if it's not blocking the wifi 100%, and why air stewards bitch about us interfering with the plane's systems when it clearly doesn't. Only way to be truly offline is to switch off your router entirely.

Reactions: Potato Paste

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm guessing consoles are never truly offline, they keep some background processes running even in airplane mode. Which raises the question of why airplane mode even exists if it's not blocking the wifi 100%, and why air stewards bitch about us interfering with the plane's systems when it clearly doesn't. Only way to be truly offline is to switch off your router entirely.
Leave your conspiracy theory outside of this bay.
Switch stores a file that contains versions of each game that was released until release of firmware you have installed. And it's updated either by connecting online to nintendo servers, updating firmware or by installing game update which forces to update version of game you have just updated.

Reactions: OkazakiTheOtaku

Potato Paste

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the answer i want to believe

Guys, it's not magic [emoji6]
With Every Firmware update a database of game id's with update information is updated. This way, the game knows there is an update out there.

pOpY

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A6013 mit Tapatalk

^actual answer

Reactions: Budsixz

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MK is an annoying game to play. You have to have it connected to the internet and have it fail to connect to the servers or it will stay stuck at that screen. If you are in airplane mode it also will not to go past the connection screen. Install the latest update and patch out the firmware requirement. A lot of the Arcade Collection games also function that way if they use the internet to upload scores.

Last edited by raging_chaos,

chaos_jockey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the switch scene was in its infancy and my system got banned the only thing I did wrong (at the time) was not delete my network config. After modification was complete I cleared the update nag and remained in airplane made but the next day it was back and had no idea why. All I did was throw my Switch in the dock.

I picked up a second switch that has remained clean since but I had to test something, so after getting it connected to my network I got the update nag so I threw it in airplane mode, cleared the nag, rebooted, checked to see if it was in airplane mode still and it was then put it in the dock for the night, woke up to an update nag.

We know the dock communicates with the switch which is what toggles its performance mode, which is why I'm convinced it may enable network communication while docked and asleep even in airplane mode.

MrSlic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, it's not magic [emoji6]
With Every Firmware update a database of game id's with update information is updated. This way, the game knows there is an update out there.

pOpY

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A6013 mit Tapatalk
Yeah its pretty cool how that works

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This isn't true. On your router you can view the MAC addresses and local IP addresses connected and a Switch in Airplane mode doesn't show up, because....the wifi is off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye