Hacking How do I get USB Loader GX to properly utilize EmuNAND?

Rustygx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Set region free ON and select the proper video mode you want to use inside neek emuNAND.
note: region free is sometime not enough and you will need a NAND from the same region than the game you want to play. you can store multiple NAND dump:
/nand/PAL/
/nand/US/
/nand/JP/
the used path will be set in USBLoderGX, or can be switching from the neek2o hidden menu.

How should I go about getting a JP NAND dump? Is it possible to use the USBLoaderGX dumping to EmuNAND feature for this?

I am trying to run the English Patched WiiWare Mystery Dungeon games and they won't run on my US EmuNAND or Neek.

I tried searching and couldn't find an answer, sorry if this is a common question :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How should I go about getting a JP NAND dump? Is it possible to use the USBLoaderGX dumping to EmuNAND feature for this?
dump NAND is used to make a copy of your current NAND content to an external folder.
if your console is JP, and you use "dump NAND", then it will dump your JP NAND.
If your consol is NOT japanese, it will not dump a japanese NAND.

You can use Modmii to generate new, clean, empty, emuNAND from different region.
Attention, these "empty" NANDs are like said : Empty ! it's missing a LOT of system files that might require you to re-generate or restore/download. I'm not giving help for that, this is not my tool.

I am trying to run the English Patched WiiWare Mystery Dungeon games and they won't run on my US EmuNAND or Neek.
Usually, games not working with cIOS emuNAND are working with neek EmuNAND mode.
If it's still not working, maybe :
- you do it wrong (bad emuNAND setup, dump, settings, software, hardware, etc.)
- the WAD is corrupted, bad, not proper, not the correct game, etc.
- that game is not compatible at all.

Last edited by Cyan,

Rustygx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dump NAND is used to make a copy of your current NAND content to an external folder.
if your console is JP, and you use "dump NAND", then it will dump your JP NAND.
If your consol is NOT japanese, it will not dump a japanese NAND.

You can use Modmii to generate new, clean, empty, emuNAND from different region.
Attention, these "empty" NANDs are like said : Empty ! it's missing a LOT of system files that might require you to re-generate or restore/download. I'm not giving help for that, this is not my tool.

Usually, games not working with cIOS emuNAND are working with neek EmuNAND mode.
If it's still not working, maybe :
- you do it wrong (bad emuNAND setup, dump, settings, software, hardware, etc.)
- the WAD is corrupted, bad, not proper, not the correct game, etc.
- that game is not compatible at all.

So I ended up using Modmii to generate a JP emuNAND and trying that way. I was able to get the game to boot up through Neek.
Problem is when I boot into the game it gives me these prompts:

-"Due to a problem with the Wii's internal memory, WiiConnect24 cannot be used (109020)"
-"The amount of free Wii System Memory is Insufficient. Please create blocks from the Data Management screen"
I then get kicked back to RealNAND because I have 'Return To' enabled.

I think the issue is like you said, the emuNAND generated by ModMii is "empty".
Giving up for now, thanks for the fast reply!!

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I tried searching and couldn't find an answer, sorry if this is a common question :)

I have those 3 games with the translation and work fine in my emunand with partial emulation.

Reactions: Rustygx

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh really? What is meant by partial emulation? You have them running through USBLoaderGX emuNAND?
Yes, there are three modes of run emunand, partial, full and Neek. Most wads i have run on partial but others un full. The Pokémon mistery games work for me in partial or Full.

Rustygx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, there are three modes of run emunand, partial, full and Neek. Most wads i have run on partial but others un full. The Pokémon mistery games work for me in partial or Full.

Thanks for the replies man! Just tried that setting out on my US EmuNAND but it didn't work. Are you running it through a JP EmuNAND? Or any other USBGX settings ticked?

Or maybe I just have a bad WAD? I'm using the prepatched ones from Archive

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I couldn't make the Mystery Dungeon games run on emunand at all.

The solution I found was to play them through an NTSC US Uneek on a usb drive. I would patch them with the translation, then with ShowMiiWads change their region to USA. Then, launching this uneek nand with Postloader (I'm sure there are other ways of booting it, that was the simplest way I found for me) they would boot...

But I also got the memory problem. Messing around with it, it is very easy to fix. You need a save file to exist on your uneek nand file. You can create it with Dolphin.

This game behaves differently from others. All three games use the same save file, the two you play last will look for the save of the first, and will "chain" to it and redirect all their saved data to that same folder.

So play any of them with dolphin, just enough to make the game save (creating a save file and giving a team name was enough). Then load the other two and let them find the save for the first and connect with it.

After that go to Dolphin's settings folders and look for the save folders, grab the correct one (names are all numbers, but in case you have more saves you can use ShowMiiWads to see what folder each wad uses), and copy paste it to the correct folder inside uneek emunand.

With that the games were fully functional, I even made riiconnect work with uneek (although that was a headache lol).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
-"Due to a problem with the Wii's internal memory, WiiConnect24 cannot be used (109020)"
WiiConnect24 is closed now, but there is RiiConnect24 now, which is a homebrew replacement of Nintendo's server service.
I don't know if it works with Neek... maybe?

-"The amount of free Wii System Memory is Insufficient. Please create blocks from the Data Management screen"
Your partition is probably bigger than 2TB, and seen by some 32bit games as negative space, which forbid the game from creating new files (savegame).

There are different solutions :
- Put your emuNAND path on SD card (less than 2TB) temporarily, and put it back to USB when done.
- use an USB HDD partition smaller than 2TB
- Use dolphin to generate the savegame file.
To copy the savegame, either do it manually (file explorer), or use ShowMiiWads in NAND mode (it has a "backup/restore savegame" feature), or just use your existing emuNAND as dolphin's NAND.

Once the savegame file exists, the game shouldn't need to check for free space/blocs anymore.

Last edited by Cyan,

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Rustygx Sorry for the late response
I apply the translation patch for each wad, on USB loader GX i set the Game language to japanese and turn off each game option in the game/settings on the same loader, without them the three games freezes a lot specialy on the intro screen or the white characters appear. With all the settings that can be turned off the games still freezes occasionaly but run fine most of the time, by the way my emunand is US.

Zorg07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Hello @Cyan , I want you to help me and here is my question, install a forwarder channel in my emunand (channel created with xFlak's modmii tool so that it is compatible with usb and sd), well if I locate my apps folder in the SD If it works for me if I launch the channel from the emunand, but if I locate my apps folder in the usb, here I detail that there are two apps files, one for SD and USB, I already tried it in my real nand I mean my own wii and if it works for me fine, but the question is that if I locate the apps folder on my usb and launch it from emunand it can't be done, I have my emunand UNEEK + DI. I hope you help me. Thanks

Reactions: SaulFabre

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You should never use homebrew on emuNAND, that's easier that way.

Like XFlak said, when you use emuNAND (I suppose you mean Neek), then the device where your emuNAND is located is unavailable for anything else. the device IS the NAND.

if your emuNAND is on SD card, then the SD card is the "internal Wii Memory", you don't have any SD card inserted/seen/accessible, and you have USB.
if your emuNAND is on USB, then the USB becomes your "internal Wii Memory", you have the SD card available, not the USB anymore.

That's with the default neek's compilation setup.
There is an option to allow "same device than emuNAND" to be available for homebrew, but it's experimental and is not recommended at all.

Some homebrew also doesn't work at all on emuNAND because they just aren't designed to be on emuNAND. so, I'm not sure why you don't use realNAND for homebrew.
EmuNAND should be for specific non compatible Wii or WiiWare or VC channel. not for homebrew. but, again, that's my opinion. Lot of users might find a use or an interest in using emuNAND with homebrew, but it's just complicating things which can be achieved easily without it.

Zorg07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Thank you very much @XFlak y @Cyan and cyan for answering me and clarifying some doubts, what happens is that I am making single roms loaders for some games using home emulators such as Wiisxrx, not64, retroach cores, and because I was interested in launching them from there to maintain the aesthetics of having in one way or another my games there (I know it's a whim of mine xd), and with regard to the same device detecting homebrew, can it be done with the xflak tool? or is there an option in usbloadergx, as I mentioned I use UNEEK + DI in my USBLoaderGx.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
launching homebrew directly from USBGX is not done properly, wrong reloading IOS, and not proper IOS rights passed to the homebrew, causing issue with mounting USB, etc.
you better launch them from sysmenu, or hbc, or maybe wiiflow ?

Or also, maybe Blackb0x's version of USBGX ? maybe he fixed the forwarder's launching from NAND ?

You'll have to juggle with sysNAND/emuNAND, or sysNAND USB Loader (of your choice) to launch games on emuNAND/Neek, and maybe your forwarders from it too ?

anjanimal

33°C 🫠
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hello, and welcome to gbatemp :)

I will (try to) explain how to setup and use EmuNAND with USBLoaderGX. (you already found some, but maybe they are old, or not well explained).

Creating and using EmuNAND with USBLoaderGX
cIOS - Neek - Neek2o

So, before doing anything, you need to know that there are two different emuNAND modes.
The first one is done by the cIOS which redirects some NAND file access to SD or USB. We call it "cIOS EmuNAND" mode.
The second is done by Neek which fully redirects ALL the console and chipset access to SD or USB. We call it "neek" or "neek mode"

cIOS emuNAND is very simple and easy to setup and use, faster to boot and exit back to the loader, but doesn't have 100% game compatibility. Mostly N64 games and few Wiiware are not working. Seeing you tried to play N64 games you probably did well in wanting to use neek for your first try.
Neek is not too much complicated to setup, but requires some additional steps to create the needed files that will be responsible for the NAND redirection.
both cIOS and Neek emuNAND can share the same emuNAND dump, so it's easy to switch from one or the other :)

USBLoaderGX is now compatible with Neek emuNAND, it can boot into neek mode without the need of NSwitch homebrew or a NSwitch channel to boot into neek, or bootmii files, etc.
but you have to use latest release : as of writing it's 1260 (There's a new version available!). for latest, check my signature, or the official thread's first page, or sourceforge.

If you are using USBLoaderGX channel, be sure it's a forwarder channel or you'll be launching r1180 instead of 1260 (get the new one), and you won't have neek support.
if you have a full channel, follow this tutorial to get the forwarder channel.

Dumping NAND and using cIOS EmuNAND
There's nothing easier!

- be sure to use d2x cIOS v8 or newer in USBLoaderGX (or you can use IOS58 if you don't have cIOS installed, but only "Neek mode" will work, so all the cIOS mode games can't be launched)
- launch USBLoaderGX and go to the settings>user path, to edit your path if you want. you need to edit this setting : "EmuNAND Channel folder"
- go to the settings>features menu, select dump NAND>full (it will ask you where to dump if "emuNAND channel" and "emuNAND save" paths are different, choose "channel")
Dump done.

- go to settings>loader settings>emuNAND channel : FULL (do not use partial)
- go to the main screen>4th icon in the top menu>enable EmuNAND.
Setup done

you just created and displayed games located on emuNAND. You can now launch the titles or games.
They will use cIOS mode to redirect NAND to emuNAND, and will require d2x cIOS for that.

Adding new channels
USBLoaderGX has a WAD manager for emuNAND.
- put your wad file on SD or usb
- launch the loader and go to settings>features>emuNAND Wad Manager
- select if you want to install a single file or batch mode to install all files from a folder.
- select your wad file or a folder and choose "install"
done

Compatibility
The steps above are using the cIOS emuNAND mode.
Like I said, compatibility is not 100% but you should use this mode whenever you can. It's faster to boot and can exit back to (return to) USBLoaderGX if you have a USBLoaderGX forwarder channel installed on your NAND and "return to" option pointing to that forwarder.
This mode is a mixed of realNAND and emuNAND : the system menu and the console is still running on real NAND, the IOS are loaded from realNAND but file's access are redirected to emuNAND. When you exit a game, it just stop redirecting file access and reload system menu or the forwarder to go back to usbloadergx.

If you encounter some games which don't work, you will need Neek mode.
Neek is rebooting the console in a full redirection mode. Everything is loaded from the EmuNAND path : the system menu, the IOS, the settings, etc.
The console does not know it's currently doing a redirection, as IOS are not redirecting anything and all official IOS are used instead of cIOS to load games.
the SD card and USB device are locked and can't be used (no homebrew or forwarder access!).

To use neek mode, you will have to add some files to your device:/sneek/ folder
They will be responsible for redirecting all the NAND to your emuNAND path and adding new features (game patch, menu patch, region free, etc.)

Neek or Neek2o
• Neek (Sneek for SD or Uneek for USB) is the main program.
• Neek2o is a modification of neek done by another developer. This one adds new features like:
- subfolder support : you don't need to put the NAND dump to the device's root.
- multi-emuNAND support : you can keep multiple NAND dump and select which folder to use. (easy to keep one PAL, one NTSC etc.)
- Autoboot at launch: you don't see the emuNAND system menu screen and don't need to select the channel to launch,
- return to: you can choose to reload a different channel on emuNAND instead of reloading the emuNAND system menu,
- Wbfs support: you can boot wbfs games from usb:/wbfs/ folder.

Wii and vWii differences:
Neek2o r96 is the latest released version and works only on Wii.
Neek works on vWii (a special vWii version has been released)
Neek2o doesn't have an official vWii release, but a leaked (and illegal to share) version is floating around. that version is precompiled and only need to be placed in /sneek/ folder.

Neek(2o) setup
I already wrote few neek and neek2o compiling and setup tutorial, so I will give links instead of writing the same thing again.

Neek/Neek2o Wii file creation using modmii (skip step 1 and 2)(AGAIN : FOLLOW ONLY STEP 3!!!!! ONLY!!! DO NOT FOLLOW STEP5 ONWARD, Follow what Modmii is telling you to do !)
Manual neek/Neek2o Wii file creation (if modmii doesn't work)

JoostinOnline also wrote a guide to compile Neek (not neek2o) for wiiU's vWii mode : http://www.hacksden.com/showthread.php/8119-Compiling-a-vWii-compatible-version-of-SNEEK

Once compiled, and the neek files copied to the devices (sd and/or USB) you can continue reading this page to setup USBLoaderGX with neek.

Adding a way to exit back to RealNAND.
When in neek mode, all the console is in redirection mode. When you exit a game, you are back to System menu, but it's not your REAL system menu, it's still the redirected one. There's no way to tell the console to exit back to realNAND (as it already think it's the real nand).
The only way to exit this mode is to reboot the console.

Wii
Nswitch channel can detect if you are already on neek mode and instead of launching neek again it reboots the console (reboot<->neek), so we will add this channel to your emuNAND. It will be useful later to automatically exit emuNAND when exiting a game in order to go back to USBLoaderGX located on realNAND.
The Nswitch homebrew has been created in different channels. only the visual is different, so choose based on your preference. (but remember that you will rarely see it, so any channel visual will be fine)

- put one of these 4 wad files on sd or usb. I recommend the classic visual "neek2o NK2O_1 .wad"
- launch usbloadergx and install the wad to your emuNAND.

Note:
If you created a new clean NAND using modmii, you have the option to automatically include a "neek2o" or "Nswitch" channel which will be used to exit to realNAND. The channel will have the correct TitleID (NK2O) so you don't need to install any other wad.

WiiU vWii
vWii already has a "console rebooting" channel : return to WiiU.
you don't need to install a Nswitch channel.

booting neek mode
If you want to boot into neek mode, you have different possibilities:
- right at console boot : using modmii @ boot2, you can autoboot into neek.
- right at console boot : using priiloader rebooting into bootmii or autobooting nswitch.
- manually booting nswitch channel or homebrew
- using a loader : USBLoaderGX can boot into Neek system menu OR tell neek2o to autoboot a specific game bypassing the system menu loading and patching process.

we will use the latest method as you asked how to use it with usbloadergx.
Additionally, USBLoaderGX is fast booting into neek, it doesn't rely on bootmii files or nswitch.

if you followed the install guide linked above, you should now have this setup :

On your device where emuNAND is located:
/nand/my_emuNAND/ <-- your emuNAND path
/sneek/kernel.bin
/sneek/font.bin
/sneek/di.bin <-- if you want Disc emulation (playing wbfs games from the disc channel)

First launch, or Neek system menu launch
We will launch Neek system menu once to verify it's correctly working. No auto-booting a game yet. it's also done to generate the needed files if you just made a clean NAND from scratch using modmii. in that case, the first launch will take few minutes on a black screen before asking to setup the day/date/wiimote sync, don't worry!.
- launch USBLoaderGX
- go to settings>Features>boot neek
wait for neek to boot, it should load the System menu like if you were on your real Wii, but it's actually loading all the data from EmuNAND. the channels you added on emuNAND will be displayed. You can now launch them like if they were on your real Wii.

launching neek this way lets you setup neek and launch game discs from the disc channel.
Press 1 (or 2) on the wiimote to display hidden menus. You can navigate with +/- and A/B button.
Set region free ON and select the proper video mode you want to use inside neek emuNAND.
note: region free is sometime not enough and you will need a NAND from the same region than the game you want to play. you can store multiple NAND dump:
/nand/PAL/
/nand/US/
/nand/JP/
the used path will be set in USBLoderGX, or can be switching from the neek2o hidden menu.

To boot a game, select its channel or use the hidden menu to mount a game disc and launch it from the disc channel.
to exit neek, load the NEEK2O channel you installed on the previous step (nswitch channel), it will reset the console.

Autobooting a game in neek mode
Autoboot is possible only with neek2o.

You should use neek mode only for games not working with cIOS mode (unless you really like staying in neek mode all the time) so you set the neek option only individually in USBLoaderGX.

select a game requiring neek (for example N64 games or Castlevania rebith), go to settings>game option>emuNAND mode : Neek
Select if you want to enable "return to" to reload the NEEK2O channel when exiting your game to initiate a reboot to realNAND.

you can now launch your game ! :)

If you want to stay in NEEK mode to launch another game, disable "return to".
If you want to use neek mode for all your emuNAND, set this mode to the global setting :
settings>loader settings>emuNAND Channel : Neek
settings>loader settings>return to : if a channel is selected, it will return to NEEK2O channel, to disable it just empty that option. (not the best way, but it's like that for the moment)

Ok, I think I completed that guide now!
Sorry @Cyan, I'm a noob. Can I install Wiiware games with this tutorial? Thanks!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't really install them with this tutorial.
This tutorial lets you create a copy of your internal memory (NAND) to your SD or USB, and gives you steps to install "neek" to boot into that copy instead of your real console's memory.
Then you use that copy instead of the original (limited to 512MB), to be able to do what the original Wii can do, but with more space (up to 2TB ?), with safety (if you mess your "memory copy", you don't brick or break your original memory and your console is always safe).

On this copy, which is often called "emuNAND" or "Redirected NAND", you can install Wiiware.
they will not be on your console, they will be on your copy of your console.
so you need a way to boot into this copy, this is what this tutorial is about : Create and boot into this copy.

To install Channels in this emuNAND, you'll need tools.
on PC : ShowMiiWads
On Wii : any Wad manager capable of installing into EmuNAND, or any USBLoader capable of installing to EmuNAND (like USBLoaderGX)

then to launch a channel on emuNAND, you'll need tools :
Either to boot into this copy, then you find and choose the channel you want to launch : Neek
Either to list games installed on the copy and then auto-boot the copy AND the game : USBLoaderGX (easier, and complete solution)

Note that my tutorial is old, used old tools version, and relies on two even older tutorials to do things.
You'll have to understand each steps to do only what's needed, don't follow old tutorials and outdated steps, only the needed ones. read carefully.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: anjanimal

anjanimal

33°C 🫠
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
You don't really install them with this tutorial.
This tutorial lets you create a copy of your internal memory (NAND) to your SD or USB, and gives you steps to install "neek" to boot into that copy instead of your real console's memory.
Then you use that copy instead of the original (limited to 512MB), to be able to do what the original Wii can do, but with more space (up to 2TB ?), with safety (if you mess your "memory copy", you don't brick or break your original memory and your console is always safe).

On this copy, which is often called "emuNAND" or "Redirected NAND", you can install Wiiware.
they will not be on your console, they will be on your copy of your console.
so you need a way to boot into this copy, this is what this tutorial is about : Create and boot into this copy.

To install Channels in this emuNAND, you'll need tools.
on PC : ShowMiiWads
On Wii : any Wad manager capable of installing into EmuNAND, or any USBLoader capable of installing to EmuNAND (like USBLoaderGX)

then to launch a channel on emuNAND, you'll need tools :
Either to boot into this copy, then you find and choose the channel you want to launch : Neek
Either to list games installed on the copy and then auto-boot the copy AND the game : USBLoaderGX (easier, and complete solution)

Note that my tutorial is old, used old tools version, and relies on two even older tutorials to do things.
You'll have to understand each steps to do only what's needed, don't follow old tutorials and outdated steps, only the needed ones. read carefully.
Thank you so much, I'll try my best not to screw it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: it's fucking bad