Hacking How do I make theme colors into background wallpapers?

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it has something to do with hex editing. Vincentwiliiamphillips (YouTube personality) had/has a video on it but all the links are down.
If anyone can shed some light on the situation that would be great!

Kitsu-neechan

Coffee makes your kokoro go doki doki
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
im not quite sure i understand the question ?
you want to edit the 0-12.bmp that holds the "default colors" that display when a wallpaper is not selected ?

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No there's a hex hack that when you scroll through the "colors" on the PSP where it will actually expand a 300 x 170 image to the background. If done correctly it's really quite something, I'm asking for a friend who just HAS to have it he likes the idea of images being built into a theme. I said why can't you just change the wallpaper? He said he wants the hack to have them packed into 01-12.bmp / 13-27.bmp or whatever the other one is called lol I will link the video I know of that explains it a little more...

First part:

Second part:

Kitsu-neechan

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
well as far as i know, the idea with it is the same.
you cant use full screen sized ones so the whole 300xwhatever it is the max size, and iirc there's a limit on how many you can put. too many will just tilt the psp.

anyway the process of doing it is the same, you expand the 0-12.bmp to hold your wallpapers instead of the little bitmaps that hold the original "colors" (they're just small bmp's that get stretched to fullscreen when loaded)

one of the prx or rco's holds the values for it you need to change (dont ask me which one, i havent done this in a decade and going off memory.)
you need to change the values for the resolution of a single image in the 0-12.bmp, the number of images in the file and the size of a single entry in bytes (they have to be the exact size defined in the file.)

the bmp file itself is just multiple bmp files that have been copied into one by cramming them into one file one after another. You can do that by making single files like 01.bmp 02.bmp etc etc, and then using commandline to copy them together like:

copy /b 01.bmp + 02.bmp + 03.bmp allfiles.bmp

again, a single bmp in the final file has to have the exact size in bytes and resolution that is defined in the resource file, othervise it will not load.

Last edited by Kitsu-neechan,

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THATTTTTTT sounds a little too complicated for me to try and tell a beginner lol (even I don't understand it) ha ha. Thanks for the response though mugi your help is always spot on and very detailed. My friend isn't really accustomed to the XML life just quite yet nor the PRX lol and to be completely honest I have my limits too, he's asking for far too much if you ask me. But it's what he wants I will relay this message to him and see what he says. Thanks again!

Kitsu-neechan

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
there are tools for this over at EP.
you need rco editor and prx editor, aside that it's just a matter of preparing the bmp files for it and locating where the values are you need to edit.
they were marked and labeled on the editor for at least some sets of prx's
i know i had them for 6.60, so if you're working on that fw and my forum posts at EP are still up it should all be documented there

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great! Well, hopefully, he takes a look at it. I don't even want to touch it lol. I've already got down EXACTLY the things I want to do in a theme down. And feel like EP has so many good posts, I'm sure when he sees this he'll be happy to try his hardest. He's FULL of questions, which he SHOULD be lol. Theming is a big job, for such a small device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: btw bc my sup m3 is dead im gonna use its sd card to mod my dsi