How much do you care about your save data?

nintendo_leaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
After finishing a game I prefer to keep it but generally it's a small problem if I lose it. Losing save data before finishing a game will likely lead to me giving up on it. If a game gets DLC after I've finished it then I want my save data to still be there. Keeping my save data is important for games that I play on and off over the years like Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart.

When I finished Dragon Quest XI I accidentally deleted my save data and only realized this when I went back to play the postgame which pissed me off and never bothered with it after that.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
A lot, which is why its annoying theirs no official way to backup the save data on most of the Switch games I play (Pokemon). I don't feel you should have to resort to hacks to backup your save data when its tied to a console and not a cartridge.

Probably the oldest save game I have is my Pokemon Red save from 1999 / 2000, I eventually dumped this from the cart years later.

I've also got loads of saves from old PC games I played in the early 2000's, these we're backed up on to floppy disks originally as Windows 98 installs were not reliable back in the day 😅

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the game, for ones with more customizable things (for example Minecraft or Super Mario Maker) then it's even more valuable to me, sentimentally at least. I wouldn't sell my saves (because hell, who would buy them when they could make their own or use a cheat tool) but would be somewhat devastated to lose them; Especially far older saves for games I've beaten or almost beaten..
If I'm playing a new game (well, by "new" I mean "game I haven't yet played") though and I lose my save for no good reason, I will probably see if there's some editor out there (or if the saves themselves are in an editable format as-is, for example Pizza Tower's 3 save files are just ini files) and just cheat my way back to where I was before and then do it without cheats the rest of the way if I can.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
There's two save files that I keep, and have made sure I've backed up and kept safe all these years.

The first one is my original save of Pokémon Ruby. It was the first Pokémon game I played, so it's got a lot of nostalgia to me, and it has all the event Pokémon I got by going to all the 10th Anniversary events when I was a kid. I have the Space Center Houston Deoxys, and it's just a really cool thing that I love to know I've still got.

Second is my save for Animal Crossing GC. I put thousands of hours into that game, and it's something that both my parents used to play, too. So it's got their house designs, their characters, all the memories of years of playing that game as a family.

Anything else really doesn't have that kind of importance like those ones do.

Joro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cared so much for my save files on my switch, i put em on a sd card and inserted it into my switch lite (My big switch has an issue). something happened and all data was lost. I downloaded EaseUs to maybe recover something and luckily it did but I don't understand the program. Wish I would have learned how to make a back up as now I don't think I can learn to get my files moved/back

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cared so much for my save files on my switch, i put em on a sd card and inserted it into my switch lite (My big switch has an issue). something happened and all data was lost. I downloaded EaseUs to maybe recover something and luckily it did but I don't understand the program. Wish I would have learned how to make a back up as now I don't think I can learn to get my files moved/back
You can't interchange sd cards from different Switch's. If you do, It will ask you to format that card and you will lose your data. Unfortunately if you did format, your data is gone.

Reactions: rvtr

Joro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't interchange sd cards from different Switch's. If you do, It will ask you to format that card and you will lose your data. Unfortunately if you did format, your data is gone.
Unfortunately, I did not know that was what formatting was. That software shows 131 gigs that are recoverable but would that be still no good?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Joro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I did not its oem. what if I installed that and then tried it? The Program I used for recovery popped up on google for the switch its EaseUs

Attachments

• image_2024-01-21_192830476.png
    image_2024-01-21_192830476.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 10

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I did not its oem. what if I installed that and then tried it? The Program I used for recovery popped up on google for the switch its EaseUs
If you were using OEM/ stock firmware Switch, you can redownload all your games again from Nintendy without having to pay again. You will have to unlink your original switch from your Nintendy account, then link your new switch to it. You can login to your account from PC and do this even. You can also get your game saves back if you had NSO, if not then your game saves are gone.

Joro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were using OEM/ stock firmware Switch, you can redownload all your games again from Nintendy without having to pay again. You will have to unlink your original switch from your Nintendy account, then link your new switch to it. You can login to your account from PC and do this even. You can also get your game saves back if you had NSO, if not then your game saves are gone.
Okay good to know not paying again but what is nso for the future?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay good to know not paying again but what is nso for the future?
Nintendy Switch Online. They give you cloud backup of your game saves, and also give you back compatible games like Gameboy, N64, etc. It is a paid monthly service though.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Few years ago, I was mainly playing The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games so keeping the save file backups was pretty important to me, especially in Fallout 4 and Skyrim. Due to the moderate number of mods used, I kept my mod loadout as well.

These days I'm "taking a break" from those games with Animal Crossing: New Horizons and I'm making a weekly backup just in case things go south.

Other than that, I don't really have a save file worth keeping after I've finished a game. I do remember keeping my save files for Fire Emblem GBA games that I've played on an emulator while I was in a high school. I was fairly limited in terms of which games I was able to play back then.

I would really like to start playing Zelda BOTW and TOTK at some point as well, but I need to find some time to devote to those games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol