Homebrew how to homebrew. new to this

RN2014

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to homebrew a long time ago with my old ds. I no longer have it now. I want to buy a nintendo 3ds but be able to homebrew on it. How do you go about doing this and is it possible with the current firmware? I remember buying an r4 card and using that a long time ago. Thanks for your help.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew is not yet possible on the 3DS in a mainstream way. It's in it's pre-pre-pre alpha stage and is only really useful for developers.

RN2014

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew is not yet possible on the 3DS in a mainstream way. It's in it's pre-pre-pre alpha stage and is only really useful for developers.
Ok thanks. So my next question is this. If I buy a regular ds are the games available on it the same as the 3ds? I know that homebrewing on the ds is possible in some way.

And the ds I would buy is a dsi/ dsi xl. So if homebrewing is still possible on these that sounds like the better route

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last DS game ever released was in early 2011, if I remember correctly.

Edit: My bad, the last major release for DS was around that time. But still, Nintendo's focus is now on the 3DS.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I used to homebrew a long time ago with my old ds. I no longer have it now. I want to buy a nintendo 3ds but be able to homebrew on it. How do you go about doing this and is it possible with the current firmware? I remember buying an r4 card and using that a long time ago. Thanks for your help.
Go to this thread after obtaining a firm 4.5 3ds or below:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-development.360646/

Keep in mind the hb libraries are still pretty rough at this time so the quality of hb's matches that roughness. You can also run homebrew as .3ds files with a gateway 3ds card. This has a higher potential that 'arm9' homebrew in most of that thread, but its extremely new and the choices are limited as with the arm9 variety. Things will get better soon so it might be a better idea to idea to wait a couple of months. Go ahead and secure a 4.5 3ds now though, they're getting hard to find. Here's how to find them:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/where-to-get-a-firmware-4-5-or-below-3ds-xl.352360/

Reactions: Abcdfv

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol