How to restore your deleted/broken system apps in 4 steps!

The other day, I dusted off my homebrewed 2DS. I was looking to get ALL of the functionality, so I decided to try the Internet Browser which, sadly, crashed.
Apparently, my Internet Browser was corrupted, so I thought of a fix:
(PSST! THIS ONLY WORKS FOR PREINSTALLED APPS AS FAR AS I KNOW)
Step 1: Get the Title ID
This is pretty easy; just go to this page on the 3dbrew wiki.
You can use CTRL-F to find a certain one.
Step 2: Find it in FBI
Turn on your 3DS, open FBI, and look for the title ID. For me it was marked in red.
Step 3: Delete the title
Press "A" when the title is highlighted, and select "Delete". Then, just press B until you get to the main menu, and close FBI.

Step 4: Update in System Settings
Now, the problem with doing this if you haven't deleted the system app is that it's still on your system technically, so the 3DS will see no need to update. But if you update AFTER deleting the system app, it will think that your 3DS is in need of an update. Wait for the "update" to finish, and then test the system app that wasn't working before. It should probably work.

Reactions: Hareon

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Generally yes.
Same thing TWLFix does for the DS(i) functionality.

Worth noting that wildly deleting NAND titles is anything but safe and should be done with proper backup only!

The browser is not a vital component, but If you delete Home Menu or System Settings… this will obviously be not good.
Under some circumstances Recovery Mode can be an option of the updater can't be reached otherwise.

light27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oohhh, forgot to add: If you can't get into your 3DS's home menu but CAN power it on, try A+R+L+UP(D-pad). I don't know whether or not you can delete specific titles on a computer so don't take my word for it, BUT you could try that.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oohhh, forgot to add: If you can't get into your 3DS's home menu but CAN power it on, try A+R+L+UP(D-pad).
That is precisely what my link above to 3dbrew contains.

I don't know whether or not you can delete specific titles on a computer so don't take my word for it, BUT you could try that.
System titles are on the internal NAND, not on the SD.

Removing SD titles (games) from the SD card with a computer does not make the game disappear from Home Menu (or the title database). This just leads to a crash when trying to start the – missing – game.
===========

Again: Random deletion is dangerous without good backup.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Step 1.) Restore your latest NAND backup.

That's literally it...
No. That also restores databases to a previous state. Depending on the situation major data loss might occur. Possibly the encryption key gets reverted to an earlier instance.
NAND restoration is not the first thing to try if some small hiccup shows up.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is not this super dangerous for people not knowing what they are doing?
Indeed. This is a topic that cannot be explained in few words or fully understood in a few minutes.
Both methods mentioned here – randomly deleting stuff and flashing the NAND using an image – are potentially dangerous.

After having seen countless instances of "Something didn't work, so I decided to delete everything but this made the situation worse" I'm a bit allergic against this. I do have an idea where it comes from by now though: Android phones and custom ROMs for them. Wiping certain partitions is normal procedure there and first(!) thing they always try when something doesn't work is "delete everything and start from scratch". Worth mentioning that delete everything isn't literally here as certain partitions must not be wiped.

As for the 3DS: The updater verifies all system titles are equal to the highest version available online. If a title is missing it does not have the highest version (obviously) so it is (re-)downloaded. This can be used to repair stuff (see TWLFix) but you should never start randomly deleting things without backing up the NAND and the SD *before* such attempts.

The sarcastic(?) one element list "Step 1.) Restore your latest NAND backup." (We are missing some dots ………… and the word "profit" at the end here) is also anything but safe for the device and the user data.

In both cases more often than not nothing really bad will happen. But this is not going to help you much if you are the one in a hundred that has to face really bad consequences.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On New 3DS this doesn't work for all titles by the way, since not all system titles appear in the soap response. Examples include Nintendo Zone, AR Games, Activity Log, Mii Maker, StreetPass Mii Plaza, and a variety of system modules. Deleting these will not cause them to be re-downloaded in an update. Fixing this would be to restore a known good NAND backup or a ctrtransfer.

Sonic3320

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
.Examples include Nintendo Zone, AR Games, Activity Log, Mii Maker, StreetPass Mii Plaza, and a variety of system modules. Deleting these will not cause them to be re-downloaded in an update.
Half true. Although Nintendo Zone wont be necessarily reinstalled on an update, if the console is connected it will be quietely reinstalled.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Half true. Although Nintendo Zone wont be necessarily reinstalled on an update, if the console is connected it will be quietely reinstalled.
Do you have a source for this claim? Nintendo Zone has been installed with the system since the first release. Past system versions would hide it until connected to a Nintendo Zone hotspot.

Sonic3320

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
on my 2DS it always reinstalls itself when I play online. Tried to remove it with and without removing tickets and it still manages to reinstall. When I bought this console, even though it was already modded, I formatted everything and did the mods again and the Nintendo Zone app is always there, even though I never connected to any Nintendo Zone server.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Examples include Nintendo Zone, AR Games, Activity Log, Mii Maker, StreetPass Mii Plaza, and a variety of system modules.
Deleting these will not cause them to be re-downloaded in an update.
That's news to me. I thought I'd read about people being unable to get rid of AR Games before.

Fixing this would be to restore a known good NAND backup or a ctrtransfer.
Surely the most straightforward solution would be to use 3DNUS to download the appropriate .cia?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's news to me. I thought I'd read about people being unable to get rid of AR Games before.
Only for New 3DS, and only for USA/EUR/JPN. This is the full title list for 11.17 for all New 3DS regions, notice AR Games (among others) doesn't appear except for KOR: https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/titlelist.php?date=2023-05-23_00-00-41&sys=ktr&soap=1
on my 2DS it always reinstalls itself when I play online. Tried to remove it with and without removing tickets and it still manages to reinstall. When I bought this console, even though it was already modded, I formatted everything and did the mods again and the Nintendo Zone app is always there, even though I never connected to any Nintendo Zone server.
Is this a New 2DS XL? Nintendo Zone viewer doesn't appear in the title list for New 3DS at all so it should be impossible for it to be re-installed automatically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto