Tutorial  Updated

How to Update Firmware of JMicron JMS578 - USB3.0 - Sata Enclosure (Black Screen/Lock/Music Stop)

I Don't know if anyone already found this solution, but I'v decided to share it with all of you anyways.

My Previously Wii drive is dead, I'v decided to buy USB Sata Enclosures/Cases, USB 3.0 for the "Fast" transfer of the WBFS files from my PC to External HD, But I'v Found, in many forums that JMicron is a Cheap Chinese Company, and Most of his Sata Enclosures, suffer from Power Management on their Firmware, and for that reason they shut down the HDD and The Nintendo Wii doesn't bring it up again.

Even in Windows is a pain in the ass, always wait for the drive Boot up, making this cases a pain in the ass, as I already said.

Said That, Let's go to the Solution

My Cristal Sata Slim USB 3.0 Case, came with the JMicron JMS578 Chip

8f7caad2-6790-4740-9718-33a08777ce46.jpg d386df1e-9e8c-4033-9f8f-4bc8e5f94bb2.jpg e9f72a01-087b-476a-ab93-92c625158a64.jpg ec18c7b9-5a72-419e-b02a-12a33406d9c3.jpg

After Many Research I'v Found a Firmware that worked great on disabling the Spin Down (Power Management) of Crystal Slim Case

There are no way to Write, Read Firmware if there no HDD Attach to the Enclosure, And is Safe to Update FW, no harm will happen to the HDD, but it is necessary.

First, as aways, backup The Original FW of the Hdd case using the FwUpdateTool_v1_19_16_24.exe Software AND MAKE SURE THAT YOUR CASE USES JMicron JMS578

Open the "JMS578_PPE_v124.01.00.02.bin" is not the latest, bur was the one that works better on my Wii, And Ps2 etc.

After That. check the [ X ] RD Version BOX and [ X ] Including JM557 NVRAM.

Write the Firmware, safety Unplug and You are Good to Go/Test

There are plenty Others Firmwares that I'v Found, Feel Free to test it.

Maybe this tip Work with other Cases, JMS583 JMS580 JMS578 JMS576 JMS562 JMS561U, With Corresponding Firmware if they have the same problem, Just Search for PPE ( PowerPlus) FW and try to get the NVRAM configs of Spin Down.

Happy Playing Super Mario Galaxy Again. And hope this help someone.
Sorry for my Bad English, mods Feel Free to Move this Tread, and fix my speech, and layout Share it anywhere. Thanks for the many years this forums helped me.

Attachments

• JMicron JMS578 Sata Crystal Enclosure FWUpdate.zip
    1 MB · Views: 1,817
Last edited by Wanderson Boy Rodrigues,

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was having issues with random disconnects and some i/o issues...the docking stations fan would work but would experience random disconnects

My guess is you've got a dodgy USB cable. Random disconnects are exactly what happens when the cable is bad. The fan cutting out is consistent with that also. There are so many cheap nasty USB cables on the market. I've had countless issues across multiple systems due to poor USB cabling. The front USB header cables on both my ATX mobo cases are unreliable. 2 USB cables off ebay and amazon barely work. One of the cables that I thought was good gets random corruption on the drive under max load scenario. 2 of the USB ports on my laptop are intermittent. I really don't have any faith in cheap USB cables. If you are using an extension cable especially forget about it. The only thing that is reliable is a very short high quality cable, if you want USB 3.0 at high speeds without dropouts.

TekMantis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is you've got a dodgy USB cable. Random disconnects are exactly what happens when the cable is bad. The fan cutting out is consistent with that also. There are so many cheap nasty USB cables on the market. I've had countless issues across multiple systems due to poor USB cabling. The front USB header cables on both my ATX mobo cases are unreliable. 2 USB cables off ebay and amazon barely work. One of the cables that I thought was good gets random corruption on the drive under max load scenario. 2 of the USB ports on my laptop are intermittent. I really don't have any faith in cheap USB cables. If you are using an extension cable especially forget about it. The only thing that is reliable is a very short high quality cable, if you want USB 3.0 at high speeds without dropouts.
Thanks for the reply! appreciate it. The fan definitely seems firmware related as when I go back to the original firmware or the JMS578_PPE_v124.01.00.02.bin one it seems to start back up. Unfortunately, the disconnects seem more frequent. Not sure why i'm getting less disconnects on the firmware I linked, but seems to definitely have improved although it still occasionally happens.

Still I think i'll upgrade the USB cable just to be on the safe side. What brand of cable do you recommend or have found success with. There are so many cheap, crappy brands out now its hard to even know what will be good like you said.

Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one