PS1/2 How was named 'the chip' ?

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everybody!
I'm just searching in my own memories and... I remember being offered a PlayStation (not the PSOne slim, the phat one) around 2002-2003.

It was modchipped and I really played a lot with this console. I remembered that there was different "modes" when I pressed and held the Reset button, so I could get past Wild Arms 2 piracy protection, even if it was an original.

We always were talking about "the chip" to refer to a modded Playstation. It was obscure who was doing this kind of work and how it was done.

I'm searching around the Internet to find the name of "the chip".
Is Multimode 3 (MM3) was common in the end of 90's?

thanks for your help and time!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here is some page mentioning (Reset) for triggering different modes.
https://quade.co/ps1-modchip-guide/mayumi-v4/
(Scroll down "to modes of operation")

There is information about other chips on that site as well (and installation diagrams).

I'm pretty happy with my PsNee.

Reactions: SylverReZ

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I appreciate a lot your replies SylverReZ and KleinesSinchen !

I'm almost 100% sure that yes, there was a Stealth option with that modchip.
I gave that old Playstation maybe 10 years ago...

I do not remember my PS1 model, but do remember that in the cd player menu, I could not make appear the oscilloscope and fancy spectometers when pressing 'Select' button, etc. I assumed it was an older model.

So I guess for the 'models of chips', this is mostly about Mayumi, MM3, ONEchip and PsNee.

On this page, the Playstation 1 modchip history is written: https://quade.co/ps1-modchip-guide/
So the chip I had may have been implemented at the end of 1990's decade.

I'm not planning doing any modding right now, I really prefer softmodding methods for now. But I got in my hands a PsOne (slim) , a phat PS2 and even a Game Boy Advance saved from electronic recycling last summer. So it might be a project for someday...

I found the 'swap' trick to load Ps1 games without a chip. I refer to this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTx9l6XFBlU&pp=ygUYcGxheXN0YXRpb24gMSBzd2FwIHRyaWNr )

Kind of funny, but worth a try someday.

thanks again for the provided help!

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do not remember my PS1 model, but do remember that in the cd player menu, I could not make appear the oscilloscope and fancy spectometers when pressing 'Select' button, etc. I assumed it was an older model.
Starting from SCPH-700x is when Sony introduced Sound Scope (the CD player oscilloscope like you just described), so it seems like your model is somewhere below that.

I found the 'swap' trick to load Ps1 games without a chip. I refer to this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTx9l6XFBlU )
I used to do swap tricks back in the day before I was capable of installing a modchip into the console, back then my soldering skills wasn't as great.

thanks again for the provided help!
You're very welcome. Let me know if you need any more help.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used to do swap tricks back in the day before I was capable of installing a modchip into the console, back then my soldering skills wasn't as great.
I've done it because wanting to see it. But this method is really → :ohnoes: ← for the hardware.

Kind of funny, but worth a try someday.
Double hotswap is abusing error tolerance (and retries on error).
Please use FreePSXBoot exploit (or a save exploit) instead on a non-chipped PS1. Hotswapping will lead to damage at some point.

Or just flash PsNee to some cheap chip and solder it in. Never looked back to something else.

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I keep that in note to not do swapping, haha!

I only did soldering to repair a radio antenna. It's safe to say that I'm a total newbie in soldering stuff. I never flashed a chip, neither. I do have an arduino given by a friend, but I'm very unfamiliar with all this, yet.
What would you suggest to somebody who never did anything in this field and would like to try? I may document myself a bit.

Usually, I play Ps1 isos on my PSP with a temporary custom firmware, then I plug the composite cables with a plug for the PSP on an older television I was given. Works pretty well.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Usually, I play Ps1 isos on my PSP with a temporary custom firmware, then I plug the composite cables with a plug for the PSP on an older television I was given. Works pretty well.
The PSP has to be the best system to play PS1 games on the go with POPSstation.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I only did soldering to repair a radio antenna. It's safe to say that I'm a total newbie in soldering stuff. I never flashed a chip, neither. I do have an arduino given by a friend, but I'm very unfamiliar with all this, yet.
What would you suggest to somebody who never did anything in this field and would like to try?
A very good question! Many people attempt installing modchips without any experience and end up with broken consoles.

My advise is usually: Get some scrap electronics and start desoldering and soldering components. Solder wires to tiny chip legs making sure to not short two chip legs. Practice! Without experience you will probably make a lot of mistakes and need to get a feeling for soldering first.

It was doable for me and I have drug induced movement disorders. Two of the points are very small. :!: Don't take my blog as manual :!: My installation is not good and would be rightfully criticized by anybody being good at soldering:
https://gbatemp.net/blogs/psnee-i-went-down-the-rabbit-hole-pictures-650kb.17991/
I found it harder than the XenoGC (which I foolishly, but successfully) installed with the zero wire method.

A Modbo for PS2 is lying here… but I'm not able to do that.

Reactions: SylverReZ

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's cool, thanks for the pieces of advices and blog article. I appreciate a lot you two took the time to answer and everything you explain is clear, and well I say it again, it is very much appreciated!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fellas
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you rather have a 9-5 desk job with poor pay or work for an intergalactic space militia with no guarantee of being paid?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl