HWFLY chips will brick your OLED. Here is how to avoid it

First things first, I should start by saying that if you have an OLED-specific clone chip you're fine.

Anyways, all HWFLY Lite chips come with Spacecraft v1. For those that don't know, Spacecraft v1 sets certain pins to 5V that shouldn't be set to that on an OLED.

You can find more info in the readme of my application here: https://github.com/Pheeeeenom/payloadchecker

All this application does is check the payload that's currently written and checks it to verified hashes stored in the program.

Steps to follow are:

Boot hekate
Dump BOOT0
Check it on application

If you have a genuine modchip, update it to the latest Spacecraft v2 before you install it into an OLED.

The OLED-specific modchip also comes with broken USB debugging, if you want to fix this issue you will need to write this repaired firmware binary.

Mena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey y'all - been following (lurking) the discussion above. I also thought I had a HWFly Lite w/ spacecraft v1 in my OLED at first but the program wouldn't run on my BOOT0 so I also checked my offset 0x3F0000... looks like it's actually on v2? :huh:
Some are actually v2, some are not. I've updated the application to read the length of spacecraft v1's payload and check, then do the same thing with spacecraft v2. if it doesn't match either, it's unknown or tx

Synxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First things first, I should start by saying that if you have an OLED-specific clone chip you're fine.

Which OLED-specific modchip are you referring to? I've seen 2 different versions so just wondering if both are ok or just one of them?
I've ordered the one with the white background so can't test it myself as it hasnt arrived yet and I don't want to install it if it's going to cause damage. So do you know if that is a ok OLED modchip to use?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-222608_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-222608_Twitter.jpg
    823.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20211231-215000_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20211231-215000_Reddit.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 85

Mena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which OLED-specific modchip are you referring to? I've seen 2 different versions so just wondering if both are ok or just one of them?
I've ordered the one with the white background so can't test it myself as it hasnt arrived yet and I don't want to install it if it's going to cause damage. So do you know if that is a ok OLED modchip to use?

Thanks for any help.
I've only used the one with the green background, which is fine

Tembokbesi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
When did you buy it?
2 weeks ago. It seem v2/v3 but with spacecraft v1.. since it cant do nothing with it i will use regularly if it broke it will but i believe its not affect anything according my experience until today i use it nothing seem anything weird on my oled. 😁

Bizmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a spare ‘v3’ is there any way to test it without install? Was going to sell it on or use it but don’t want to if it’s potentially dangerous

Bradle6

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a spare ‘v3’ is there any way to test it without install? Was going to sell it on or use it but don’t want to if it’s potentially dangerous

I think if you read few pages back someone said you got to connect to pc and run putty and push E or something.

Vladjaye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The OLED-specific modchip also comes with broken USB debugging, if you want to fix this issue you will need to write <link> repaired firmware binary.
Wait, does it mean that after flashing the binary, the new OLED chip will be properly flashable with any spacecraft (given that the proper code for pinout is present) via USB?

Synxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So without realising (or even really checking if I'm honest) i noticed this modchip doesn't have a USB port 🤦🏻‍♂️ So if it does come with Spacecraft V1 I've no options have I?
And even if it does come with Spacecraft V2 I've no options for future updates either have I?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-222608_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-222608_Twitter.jpg
    823.5 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: Infinitum8t

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Is this account even legit?
It's so sad you'll defend a batch of dangerous products just because you want to sell them.
Instead, accept the fact you need to allow flashing and start using the new version of spacecraft asap, or no one will be buying from you at all ever again.
They should just allow people to update the firmware/payload as the original SX does. If they sell a subpar product, they should also stop selling it as such an insanely overpriced markup as well, selling something with a BOM of $20 (at most) for $180 is just begging for someone to make an open source version using easily available parts (like a raspberry pi pico) and provide the Gerbers (for flex cables mostly)

Reactions: Henx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong