Gaming I am in love with Windows 8 dev build?

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I know its only a Dev build but there's plenty there to go off of and test. I am extermely happy with W8 and if there's no expiration date on the dev build then I'll be sticking with it. So far there is only one program giving me trouble and that's Aim messenger, I have everything else installed and running fine. Though I can't figure out how to make it so that my emulators show up with all my other apps, any one figure out how to do something like that yet? the Aim messenger installs fine but when I try to sign on it just tells me there's a problem with my user name or password and there's not, I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later for now I'm using Pidgin Messenger, just wish it had video and audio chat along with file transfer options like aim.

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Centrix said:
Yes I know its only a Dev build but there's plenty there to go off of and test. I am extermely happy with W8 and if there's no expiration date on the dev build then I'll be sticking with it. So far there is only one program giving me trouble and that's Aim messenger, I have everything else installed and running fine. Though I can't figure out how to make it so that my emulators show up with all my other apps, any one figure out how to do something like that yet? the Aim messenger installs fine but when I try to sign on it just tells me there's a problem with my user name or password and there's not, I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later for now I'm using Pidgin Messenger, just wish it had video and audio chat along with file transfer options like aim.
Where did you get this supposed dev build?

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup that's the link lol...
tongue.gif

Downloads super quick using Jdownloader
tongue.gif

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All public dev/beta builds of Windows have built in expiration dates. People have gotten around these in the past, but even then it blocks you from Windows Update, and well, is generally not a good idea to keep using anyways.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well will see, they haven't mentioned any expiration date as of yet and I 've used exploits that still let me update the beta builds of W7.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Centrix said:
well will see, they haven't mentioned any expiration date as of yet and I 've used exploits that still let me update the beta builds of W7.

Their twitter did. So yes, it will expire.

I'm liking parts of it...other parts, like things not opening as windows anymore...not so much.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well I'm still gonna use it when it expires if its like when I tested for W7 you can still use it just not update it which is fine

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZOMG! I'm loving this build. It's so damn sleek and beautiful. I love the apps and it's perfect for a gaming PC connected to a TV. Seriously, screw getting a 360 when I basically have a PC with the same damn setup LMAO!

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So far so good. I think i am gonna get used to windows 8. I have a vomit feeling when i look at windows 7. Windows 8 feels a lot lighter as XP was. All my devices function good and the 2 games i am playin atm (LOL and EQ2) work fine. Today might be the last day i would have seen winXP on my computer. Time will tell.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Coto said:
I wonder if that rumor about XBOX360 games running natively on Windows 8 would be true..
I doubt it but you can mount iso natively with windows 8 its one feature thats neat(and about time).

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont even personally want to go near it.

One, I am not in the mood to waste bandwidth (4.3 GB!? Honestly!?)
Two, I hate the new Metro-style.
Three, I kinda hate Windows...naw thats a lie...I disdain Windows entirely.

So, yeah, I'll be skipping this one. I guess if it works for you that's great, but I personally spite the look of it entirely.

Akeno Hayashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, i don't like it. at least not yet. I'm used to my regular windows desktop. i think when the full version is released i'll get it but the dev one has none of my drivers
frown.gif

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rdurbin said:
you can still use the normal windows 7 desktop on 8 but you basically lose your start menu.

Exactly, which is why I don't think this will go over so well with the common user. You lose stuff you've had for years, most people are that afraid of changes.

Thats where I deviate though, I'm not afraid of drastic changes. It means as a user I evolve. Granted, I dislike Windows, so in this case, well I wont be going for it.

The proper way to transition out of something like that is to do it slowly. However Microsoft seems to have just dripped it altogether, which even as a Linux user myself, I must admit is just not cool at all. We dont do that to our users, what makes it ok for any business to do it.

I think Windows 8 won't do well at all for this reason. But again, speculations and that's all it is.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cried a little bit trying out the OS. It worked pretty decent with dual monitors but I dislike the change of layout and the start menu.

It has native USB 3.0 which made a very click install with my USB 3.0 flashdrive.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not a fan. This dev build is clearly focused on touch enabled devices. The fact that you have to use the mouse to slide up the screen to get to the login menu or that you have to tap the Windows key to go back from any app...ugh. I'm hoping that they provide a PC experience later on, but yea not a fan of the dev build.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Jiggah said:
Not a fan. This dev build is clearly focused on touch enabled devices. The fact that you have to use the mouse to slide up the screen to get to the login menu or that you have to tap the Windows key to go back from any app...ugh. I'm hoping that they provide a PC experience later on, but yea not a fan of the dev build.
That's what put me off; the demo presentations were all about touchscreens. Not being funny, I know everything's moving in the direction of mobile computing and that's great and all, but at home I really love having 22 inches of screen real estate. Not that I'd install a dev build anyway, but it did decrease my interest in Windows 8 in general; if they're not properly supporting desktops anymore then what's the point? I'm happy with Windows 7 so maybe I'll give this one a miss. We'll see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P