Hacking Question I bought a jailbroken switch and have no fucking idea how to update it

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Either the hekate_ipl.ini file was deleted or overwritten since there is no other way the issue you described would occur. You were fairly vague on the details on how exactly you updated so I suspect that is where the issue lies.
Thanks for the interest but you clearly did not read the whole exchange.
I gave a very detailed (almost boring to re-read) explanation of every step I took. I was not vague at all. I did not erase or overwrite anything I did not back up. The file was not there. I am almost maniacal in my file hoarding and I have an original backup of the SD the first time I set up Atmosphere; the file is not there also in this case. It might be about something with the file compiler for the sd (sdsetup.com) that I originally used following the guide on which I had very little power and may have caused the issue. It might also be the case that I skipped many updates and was running quite old versions of both FW and ATMs. Whoever works with repositories would tell you that "no way the issue would occur" is just an inexact statement. True files do not "disappear" but plenty of agents and codes can impact files archives. I also used a mac that I discovered recently mess with archive bit. Anyway, again thank you for your interest.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the interest but you clearly did not read the whole exchange.
I gave a very detailed (almost boring to re-read) explanation of every step I took. I was not vague at all. I did not erase or overwrite anything I did not back up. The file was not there. I am almost maniacal in my file hoarding and I have an original backup of the SD the first time I set up Atmosphere; the file is not there also in this case. It might be about something with the file compiler for the sd (sdsetup.com) that I originally used following the guide on which I had very little power and may have caused the issue. It might also be the case that I skipped many updates and was running quite old versions of both FW and ATMs. Whoever works with repositories would tell you that "no way the issue would occur" is just an inexact statement. True files do not "disappear" but plenty of agents and codes can impact files archives. I also used a mac that I discovered recently mess with archive bit. Anyway, again thank you for your interest.
And human error doesn't exist? Humans make more mistakes than computers. Shifting the blame onto something else is just bad behavior. I've had to troubleshoot helping users who didn't even extract the files out of the package. How do you assume people mess up like that?

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
And human error doesn't exist? Humans make more mistakes than computers. Shifting the blame onto something else is just bad behavior. I've had to troubleshoot helping users who didn't even extract the files out of the package. How do you assume people mess up like that?
People (including both of us) make mistakes all the time, the lucky of us fix our errors, and the most fortunate of us also learn something from them. Machines make mistakes because they cannot autonomously decide how to act in all circumstances. I did not say that human error does not exist. Actually, in the first place said that "I have a problem" (not Hekate or atms or the switch... is my problem, of my doing, I shifted no blame), so your last reply was absolutely gratuitous and unrelated to the object of my previous exchanges (as by the way was the one earlier where you accused me of being "fairly vague," while I gave a step-by-step explanation of my process). I might have misplaced the files but guess what? I have a backup of the files that I originally put in (still in the .rar files downloaded from sdsetup.com) and those on the sd before updating. (No ini folder/more configs in either of them).

Not only this, but the toxicity of not posting to help or to add something to a discussion but to disdain another member who kindly asked for suggestions should make you consider better the way to approach human interactions. I understand this might not be my place but your obstinance and harshness call for it. It is always a good day to reflect on how we treat others. If you want to continue this discussion, you can PM me, no reason to make the other members a part of it.

I will conclude by saying again: thanks for your interest and the help you provide to many users.
Happy holidays.

Reactions: trikkeballakke

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People (including both of us) make mistakes all the time, the lucky of us fix our errors, and the most fortunate of us also learn something from them. Machines make mistakes because they cannot autonomously decide how to act in all circumstances. I did not say that human error does not exist. Actually, in the first place said that "I have a problem" (not Hekate or atms or the switch... is my problem, of my doing, I shifted no blame), so your last reply was absolutely gratuitous and unrelated to the object of my previous exchanges (as by the way was the one earlier where you accused me of being "fairly vague," while I gave a step-by-step explanation of my process). I might have misplaced the files but guess what? I have a backup of the files that I originally put in (still in the .rar files downloaded from sdsetup.com) and those on the sd before updating. (No ini folder/more configs in either of them).

Not only this, but the toxicity of not posting to help or to add something to a discussion but to disdain another member who kindly asked for suggestions should make you consider better the way to approach human interactions. I understand this might not be my place but your obstinance and harshness call for it. It is always a good day to reflect on how we treat others. If you want to continue this discussion, you can PM me, no reason to make the other members a part of it.

I will conclude by saying again: thanks for your interest and the help you provide to many users.
Happy holidays.
No, your wording was still vague. As an example, you said you 'substituted' the files but substituted can mean different things to you, me, and anybody else. Did you replace the files or delete the old ones and put the new ones on? Each of these lead to different conclusions. And another thing, even backups can be modified without your knowledge. SD cards and hard drives deteriorate. Even some FTP clients add weird extensions to files they transfer. This was only discovered after someone was trying to use a homebrew firmware updater. But a conclusion like that was only reached because we didn't discount all possibilities.

I'm also appalled that you are lecturing me on how to treat others when you might actually need that advice yourself. Calling others toxic and harsh for no reason but end the message by thanking them is not how we treat others. There is absolutely no need to continue this via PM because none of this is personal. If you find what I say personally insulting, that is your problem not mine. I never was insulting you personally but if you want to insult me for no reason then you should consider the better way to approach human interactions.

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No, your wording was still vague. As an example, you said you 'substituted' the files but substituted can mean different things to you, me, and anybody else. Did you replace the files or delete the old ones and put the new ones on? Each of these lead to different conclusions. And another thing, even backups can be modified without your knowledge. SD cards and hard drives deteriorate. Even some FTP clients add weird extensions to files they transfer. This was only discovered after someone was trying to use a homebrew firmware updater. But a conclusion like that was only reached because we didn't discount all possibilities.

I'm also appalled that you are lecturing me on how to treat others when you might actually need that advice yourself. Calling others toxic and harsh for no reason but end the message by thanking them is not how we treat others. There is absolutely no need to continue this via PM because none of this is personal. If you find what I say personally insulting, that is your problem not mine. I never was insulting you personally but if you want to insult me for no reason then you should consider the better way to approach human interactions.
I never lose the occasion to think about myself and thank a person who invites me to do so. I thank you before, and I thank you again for this invite. I ask myself why you are so unwilling to do so yourself. Your taking offense to my message quite clearly demonstrates how ready you are to get hurt to absolutely peaceful communication.

I thank, and I try to be kind (the best I can) all the time. There is enough toxicity around with no need for me to add more. This was the case in the last message and it will be in this message as well. It is also just culturally who I am.

If you want to know exactly the information you mentioned (overwrite, transfer methods, or others like OS), you could have just asked. Your phrasing and wording were competitive and hostile. It was unnecessarily unkind. You are the one coming back (weeks after the original discussion was over and other members have been kindly helping me with it) trying to disdain others (disrespecting not only me with your message but disregarding those other members' support as well). As to say you understand better, you know more. That is quite bold, in my opinion, not knowing who we are. It is childish trying to return the others that pointed at your hostility with further negativity, and I will not participate in this type of exchange.

I understand you might get offended by a stranger suggesting you consider the way you approach the others, but let me be precise, there was no hostility. I did not get offended by your messages (I think and hope the both of us have much more important things to get worried about). I purely noticed that they were not friendly (in whatever tone one tries to read them). I think it is always better to approach any discussion as there is something to learn from the other. With a friendly phrasing, given that we cannot talk face-to-face, we do not speak the same language, and therefore, so much of our communication is lost.

Said that can we now just close here and wish each other happy holidays?
I will do that in advance.

(Sincerely!) Happy holidays!

Reactions: trikkeballakke

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never lose the occasion to think about myself and thank a person who invites me to do so. I thank you before, and I thank you again for this invite. I ask myself why you are so unwilling to do so yourself. Your taking offense to my message quite clearly demonstrates how ready you are to get hurt to absolutely peaceful communication.

I thank, and I try to be kind (the best I can) all the time. There is enough toxicity around with no need for me to add more. This was the case in the last message and it will be in this message as well. It is also just culturally who I am.

If you want to know exactly the information you mentioned (overwrite, transfer methods, or others like OS), you could have just asked. Your phrasing and wording were competitive and hostile. It was unnecessarily unkind. You are the one coming back (weeks after the original discussion was over and other members have been kindly helping me with it) trying to disdain others (disrespecting not only me with your message but disregarding those other members' support as well). As to say you understand better, you know more. That is quite bold, in my opinion, not knowing who we are. It is childish trying to return the others that pointed at your hostility with further negativity, and I will not participate in this type of exchange.

I understand you might get offended by a stranger suggesting you consider the way you approach the others, but let me be precise, there was no hostility. I did not get offended by your messages (I think and hope the both of us have much more important things to get worried about). I purely noticed that they were not friendly (in whatever tone one tries to read them). I think it is always better to approach any discussion as there is something to learn from the other. With a friendly phrasing, given that we cannot talk face-to-face, we do not speak the same language, and therefore, so much of our communication is lost.

Said that can we now just close here and wish each other happy holidays?
I will do that in advance.

(Sincerely!) Happy holidays!
Then let me be clear because you still seem confused. I was not the one trying to disdain others or be hostile. This is why I said "If you took it personally, that is your problem not mine". You cannot assume a person's intent based on words on a screen alone. I didn't assume anything when I read what you wrote hence why I said what you initially wrote was unclear. But you were the one who assumed intent where there was none to be found. If anything, my words are neither hostile nor friendly; they're just words. I don't know and you don't know me. Why attach emotion to something you type on a keyboard?

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Then let me be clear because you still seem confused. I was not the one trying to disdain others or be hostile. This is why I said "If you took it personally, that is your problem not mine". You cannot assume a person's intent based on words on a screen alone. I didn't assume anything when I read what you wrote hence why I said what you initially wrote was unclear. But you were the one who assumed intent where there was none to be found. If anything, my words are neither hostile nor friendly; they're just words. I don't know and you don't know me. Why attach emotion to something you type on a keyboard?
Words do mean things, and the ways we choose to articulate them are strategies we operate to interface with others that can express emotions. This does not mean we should avoid chances to have civil discussions in order not to hurt ourselves and others.

It is funny how you first discussed my "vague explanation" (not vague to others) and my "bad behaviors" (not bad for anybody else but you), yet again you insist that I am the one who took offense and "attached emotions." Interesting also, how all of this could have been avoided by you making a straightforward question (about some lacking info I might have missed or not provided sufficiently, I am human, and therefore I do screwup at least one time at a minute) or simply not posting under a discussion that was essentially closed.

It is true, as in my country we say that " if there is no desire to discuss, it is always a good occasion to not talk."

trikkeballakke

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I read the whole thing trying to update my swithc and I made an account just to say that Draxzelex you were a jerk and dry as hell so yeah he is right lol you acted like a soreloser when this guy schooled you on how to live lol grow up man

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I read the whole thing trying to update my swithc and I made an account just to say that Draxzelex you were a jerk and dry as hell so yeah he is right lol you acted like a soreloser when this guy schooled you on how to live lol grow up man
Thank you for reading, but no, he is nothing of that. We were just not understanding each other, that is all. Let's not forget all of this started because the other member wanted to provide some help/suggestion. The desire to help others should always address that with gratitude.

Happy holidays!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you need to reread the conversation as well as the reasons for making an account. Grow up man.
Words do mean things, and the ways we choose to articulate them are strategies we operate to interface with others that can express emotions. This does not mean we should avoid chances to have civil discussions in order not to hurt ourselves and others.

It is funny how you first discussed my "vague explanation" (not vague to others) and my "bad behaviors" (not bad for anybody else but you), yet again you insist that I am the one who took offense and "attached emotions." Interesting also, how all of this could have been avoided by you making a straightforward question (about some lacking info I might have missed or not provided sufficiently, I am human, and therefore I do screwup at least one time at a minute) or simply not posting under a discussion that was essentially closed.

It is true, as in my country we say that " if there is no desire to discuss, it is always a good occasion to not talk."
But this was always a civil discussion? That's how it seemed to me with my initial post. I don't attack people especially ones I do not know. That is why I said if you took what I said personally, or in others my words, then that was your problem not mine. And I only responded because you initially tagged me in this thread. I keep responding because you keep responding which is evidence of a discussion or at least the desire of one. If the discussion was closed, then you wouldn't respond. Didn't you say to close it here earlier? Wait, is it because I didn't wish you happy holidays? Well, my bad. Happy holidays and a happy New Year to Switch hacking. Hopefully something new and exciting will grace us in 2022.
Idrolitina said:
Thank you for reading, but no, he is nothing of that. We were just not understanding each other, that is all. Let's not forget all of this started because the other member wanted to provide some help/suggestion. The desire to help others should always address that with gratitude.

Happy holidays!
This is something that I can agree with.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

trikkeballakke

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think you need to reread the conversation as well as the reasons for making an account. Grow up man.

But this was always a civil discussion? That's how it seemed to me with my initial post. I don't attack people especially ones I do not know. That is why I said if you took what I said personally, or in others my words, then that was your problem not mine. And I only responded because you initially tagged me in this thread. I keep responding because you keep responding which is evidence of a discussion or at least the desire of one. If the discussion was closed, then you wouldn't respond. Didn't you say to close it here earlier? Wait, is it because I didn't wish you happy holidays? Well, my bad. Happy holidays and a happy New Year to Switch hacking. Hopefully something new and exciting will grace us in 2022.
This is something that I can agree with.
No no need to re read anything this last message of yours is enough to proof how much butthurt you are lol

Happy holidays!
I respect your kindness and politeness man but... for this guy? really? lmao
Anyway truly great guy you are! take care and happy new year!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Caller -"Everytime I start a Pc game on my S24, playing on a external monitor, someone calls or...