PS1/2 I finaly got a PS2... yeah I know I'm so late.

Gifted1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had a PS2. I've always just played it over my friend's house. So I decided to buy a used PS2. Anyway, I have a question about downloading game ISO's and burning them to disc and playing them on my PS2. What is the easiest way for me to do this? I know a long time ago I read that there was a disc that you can buy that you can just put it in at the beginning and once it booted up, you can replace it and put your burned disc in and it will play. But that was a long time ago so I dont remember if that is correct or not. I just want something easy that I can buy so that i can download games and burn the ISO's to disc and play them. And if it matters, the PS2 driver version is 1.11.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gifted1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops Im sorry I posted this in the wrong section. I thought i was still in the "Other consoles" forum. Can someone move it there for me? Thanks
smile.gif

id242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
theres a few swap disks, i bought one and figured it was too much hassle so modded the system (suffer for 1-2 hour and be forever free) i do recomend a swap disk if your soldering skill isnt that great ps2 was the hardest for me to mod since some ps2 has a point where you have to solder a wire on 1 side of a resistor thats about 1.5mm big, contact point was prob around 1/2 mm. not trying to scare you or anything but if you cant solder i say dont attempt this for your first solder job. best thing to do is see if any of your friends can solder or mod and ask them or perhaps check with a modding service. before you buy a mod chip make sure to download diagram and all the info first, make sure you have a exact diagram for your ps2 or it gets harder as i found out.

also try www.revolution-sales.com for swap disk, pretty cheap and USA based Hawaii but package came in quite fast like 3-4 days

i have to say swap disk are annoying because the magic key tool is kinda tricky to put in on some systems and have to swap games out everytime you want to play

also i hear to avoid DVD-RW with ps2, says it wears out the drive really fast

my setup is DMS4lite and it saves me the trouble of running downstairs to borrow my brother's game and worry about scratching it up.

Gifted1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your input. I think i'm going to do the swapdisk since I dont know how to solder and I dont like opening up my system and messing with the insides. Thanks for the links guys. I just took a look and seen that the swapdisk is pretty cheap too. Not more than $20. Thats great. I just looked on youtube and seen some tutorial videos on how it works. pretty easy. I guess I wouldnt mind keep switching the discs.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you don't like soldering look into the HDD loaders that are available, you can install a HDD to your PS2 and boot games from that and it would be a hell of a lot less annoying than booting games with swap disks everytime you want to play.

I haven't checked in a while but the older versions were HDloader and HDadvance.

id242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've messed around with the HD Loaders and found that only about 15% (or less) of the games work using this setup. And even then, to get the HD Loaders to boot, you will need your PS2 to be either chipped or use the SwapDisk method.

The HD Loader is wonderful in concept, but after doing plenty of research and numerous trials, I have found that simply using the SwapDisk setup and a bunch of DVD-R is not all that horrible.

Heck - how many times are you actually going to be pressing that reset button or switching games? Based on my personal usage, I found myself playing probably 2 or 3 different games a sitting during the first weeks - which really wasn't much, considering that now I probably play just 1 single game each sitting (this equals only 1 swap....)

Gifted1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've messed around with the HD Loaders and found that only about 15% (or less) of the games work using this setup. And even then, to get the HD Loaders to boot, you will need your PS2 to be either chipped or use the SwapDisk method.

The HD Loader is wonderful in concept, but after doing plenty of research and numerous trials, I have found that simply using the SwapDisk setup and a bunch of DVD-R is not all that horrible.

Heck - how many times are you actually going to be pressing that reset button or switching games? Based on my personal usage, I found myself playing probably 2 or 3 different games a sitting during the first weeks - which really wasn't much, considering that now I probably play just 1 single game each sitting (this equals only 1 swap....)

Yeah, I seen a video on Youtube where the guy said the only bad thing about the swapdisc is that it takes more time to swap the disc out and stuff like that. To play free games, i wouldnt care about all of that. So I think Im going to go with the swapdisc.

Ok, now just to be sure Im getting the right thing...

swapmagiccoderntscusverhk4.jpg

Is this what I need to get?

Swap Magic Coder

I got this information from here: http://www.swapmagic3.com/index.html

I just want to make sure because I see earlier versions of Swap Magic and while the others have version numbers on it like v3.6, the Swap Magic coder doesnt have a version number but i heard the latest version is 3.8. Is this the right one?

id242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use the SwapMagic Coder 3.6 (havent tried 3.8 yet) with several of my games - - backups of games my brother has purchased and games I currently own.

You may ask, "why use SwapMagic Coder on originals that you already own?". Well, Coder has an entire cheat mode (Action Replay?) built into it, pre-loaded with thousands of games. This cheat-mode system built into SwapMagic Coder was reason enough to purchase that setup - it extends the life of my current games - plus, it gives me the opportunity to toy around with the PS2's system if I decide to dedicate more time into that side-hobby... such as the prior-mentioned, hooking a HD to the PS2 and USB flash drives. Either way, i feel that the functional value of my PS2, has gone way up because of it.

edit: oh yeah, there is also an SNES-Emulator for the PS2 that happens to be floating around the inet. It was a real treat for me to load up Super Mario World & Darius Twins on the PS2 and play them in Two-Player Mode, with my g/f... since my SNES controllers no longer work and I have no clue where to purchase new ones.

miniCooperS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just a quick note about about loading games from the hard drive. I installed a version of the "independence exploit" to my memory card, so all I have to do is keep a certain PS1 game in my PS2 and HDLoader boots from my memory card. The real benefit here is that my PS2's laser is dying and it has a hard time reading game discs. With this method, I'm not using the laser at all (well, at least after the PS2 boots)
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1