Hacking Question Idiot didn't read, how screwed am I

210modz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. The guide I was following made no mention of backing up NAND before booting the CFW, only after the have a back up in case of bricking.

All I did was boot the CFW twice and have the toolkit and tinfoil on the SD card before using the toolkit to backup. Is it really that easy to trip?

It's amazing that even the warning of a possible brick didn't make you think to backup your nand before doing anything else. There would be a whole lot less threads like this if people would just pull their head out of their ass and follow instructions.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where did I say that?
upload_2018-11-26_12-12-52.png

210modz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, said it twice clear as day. Don't backtrack now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181126-021355.png
    Screenshot_20181126-021355.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 137

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, that never happened, so I guess I'm safer? Kind of off topic, but if we know where these errors are stored and that deleting all of them is ban worthy, why can't we just delete the sketchy ones individually?
Apparently, there have been ban reports for people clearing their error logs.

So it seems "continuity" is what matters most to Nintendo's logging.
It's not only about having a "clean" NAND/error log.
i.e. if some logs your Switch sent in the past suddenly go missing, it means you did something questionable to get rid of those logs.

So personally, I make a new NAND backup every time I go "off the grid" (i.e. going from having wifi setup and with no CFW traces, then I always make a new backup of my NAND before deleting my wifi settings and using CFW... and I restore the latest one everytime before going online again)

Reactions: XaneTenshi

Condemned87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you installed anything homebrew related and you dont have a nand backup to restore, you'll get the next day

That sounds a bit paranoid. ;)

I'm using SX OS in stealth mode to play xci backups of my own games, playing some homebrew games like Duke3D ...and also going online to enter eshop and purchase some indie games. No ban yet.... since month.
And no, I'm not restoring my NAND before going online.

Everyone as he likes.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't mean to sound patronising when I say this, but anyone really bothered about getting a potential ban shouldn't be considering modding their switch. I know I know.... people will say "oh but if you're really careful, you can stave off the banhammer". But it's constantly playing a game of russian roulette, remembering to take out and swap an SD or update an XCI a particular way or remembering to wipe this clean or that. It's a lot of hassle.

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being banned isn't that bad.

After getting myself a ban from Nintendo, I feel more relax - the worst is over and now you can do whatever you want without anxiety. Installed 100s of nsp, use wifi ftp, run home-brew, cheats, modified theme, etc. The console is finally mine, Nintendo has no power over it anymore.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You **could** be safe. Honestly i'd try to get rid of everything homebrew related and try to go online. If you get banned you can just install homebrew again and play offline, wouldnt change much if you'd just stay offline to avoid the ban

It might take 1-2 days for you to get banned, so just try to go online, play a game and then wait. And if you arent banned after 3 days you should be safe imo
Correct me if I am wrong here but I don’t think he can go online right now as the only thing he could do is update to 6.2 and then break CFW.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
While running 6.1.0, I booted into atmosphère and launched the Homebrew Menu through the Album in order to backup my saves. Wi-Fi was enabled and connected to the Internet throughout. I haven't installed any nsp files, used layeredfs, or played online games while running CFW. It's been weeks and my console has not been banned. I've since updated to 6.2.0 and can still access Nintendo services.

Your mileage may vary, however.

Cynder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright then, more of the same and its still mostly my fault but I think there might be a solution. So I did all this on 6.1.0 without first getting the exfat update. I'm fuse cautious so I don't want to update to 6.2 and risk losing CFW and burning that fuse, and I'm wary of going back to 5.X.X (the most recent updates obtainable from the largest pool of games) to nab it. So after digging about for a while, I discovered that you can directly mount the NAND on the system with HacDiskMount and memloader and dump/restore NAND partitions this way. However, you can only go one partition at a time and there's like 8 plus boot 0/1, and I don't know if restoring these individually will hurt the console, let alone the time it would take to dump all the partitions from my original dump (I've already reconstructed the dump and even used my key 0 to check to see if it was viable).

TL;DR is completely restoring using HacDiskMount and memloader safe and clean or should I risk going back to a previous firmware to get exfat even though I have 7 fuses burned?

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you did anything Nintendo doesn't want you to do, no matter how insignificant, you've been flagged already and you will eventually be banned. Don't listen to people tell you to restore a nand backup, this also won't save you. They obviously can know if you restored a nand backup. Hell, doing that alone will flag you.

The only way to be safe and not be banned is not mod your switch in any way and just go 100% legit.

BTW, I've been using SX OS ever since it came out and updating my xci and nsp reguarly and I haven't been banned yet.

Last edited by Giga_Gaia,

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you did anything Nintendo doesn't want you to do, no matter how insignificant, you've been flagged already and you will eventually be banned. Don't listen to people tell you to restore a nand backup, this also won't save you. They obviously can know if you restored a nand backup. Hell, doing that alone will flag you.

The only way to be safe and not be banned is not mod your switch in any way and just go 100% legit.

BTW, I've been using SX OS ever since it came out and updating my xci and nsp reguarly and I haven't been banned yet.
Nintendo wouldn't know if you restored a NAND backup, it's done in RCM, not Horizon.

Reactions: Mythical

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo wouldn't know if you restored a NAND backup, it's done in RCM, not Horizon.

There would be a huge discrepancy in the logs, which could easily be flagged. It's probably not hard to tell the difference between someone who hasn't played in a while and someone who restored their nand to a previous state.

The fact is, even if it's done in RCM, they probably have a way to know.

palantine

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
"Nope. The guide I was following made no mention of backing up NAND before booting the CFW, only after the have a back up in case of bricking. "

That wasn't very smart. EVERY guide ever you people to back up your nand. If you don't follow simple instructions then you can't blame anyone but yourself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There would be a huge discrepancy in the logs, which could easily be flagged. It's probably not hard to tell the difference between someone who hasn't played in a while and someone who restored their nand to a previous state.

The fact is, even if it's done in RCM, they probably have a way to know.

Even if it may be *possible* to detect Nintendo is almost certainly not going to use it as criteria to ban because it us not accurate. It would have false positives and result in people being unfairly flagged for bans.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk