Hacking In Desperate Need Of Help With Semi-Brick

neotank19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last 3 pages of this thread are a giant LOL.

@ the OP, why don't you try to find a working wii (maybe from a friend/family member and test the working dvd drive in your wii and see if that is indeed your problem (sounds like it is to me but I certainly remember 2 threads about ultra slim wii mods that work with no dvd drive in them).

There is also the option os sending the big N your wii and let them repair it, If you don't feel like paying you could flash a corrupt nand and tell them it froze during an update and see if you could get them to fix it for free (no guarantees but I've always thought this method might work) Also there is a chance they might just send you a refurbiushed wii.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I installed 3.2u on my lu3051, same issue as before. However, I was able to load the wii backup disc from wbfs via neogamma. It is the only thing I have been able to load, but it is something. So perhaps with the right cios/loader/drive setup it could work.

DF, what is your setup on your wii?

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Labatryth said:
So now I need a new drive. How do I know which one to buy?
Any functional wii dvd drive will work. You may get the best deal on ebay, perhaps by buying a bricked wii with a "hopefully" functional dvd drive- those are usually about $40.

fattest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but in his syscheck log at the top of the thread he has TB on more than one system menu IOS. shouldn't all the unused SM IOSs be stubbed?

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Streamlinehd said:
I currently have over 30 wiis in my possession and have repaired more than 300 of them in the past 2-years. In every situation I've tested with the drive removed, the channels don't function and you can't USB load. I have 3 Wiis opened ATM which I just removed all the drives from and this proves true on all of them. I've never had a wii that functions fine with the drive detached.
QUOTE(Streamlinehd @ Mar 20 2011, 01:23 AM) I was just backing up what mauifrog said as I can more than verify his claim. What he has described is an accurate description of what I've experienced on many different Wii's. I'm not saying it's impossible for everything to work fine without a drive but I've never witnessed it.

I'm all for getting to the bottom of this. I have plenty of Wiis to hopefully touch on all the variables and all of my current stock are disc read errors so I have to remove the drives at one point or another anyway. I will keep a log with all the above factors and results.
Ok man, from what you have said it sounds like that you have purposely tested all 300 wii's for this exact issue...especially before this idea of an issue has ever been mentioned or arised. Personally, that sounds like a complete cop-out to me. I HIGHLY doubt that you have tested each of those 300 wii's for this exact issue without anyone questioning it in the past. If you have then please tell of the board revisions, hollywood revisions, SM version, and syscheck of all those wii's. Since you remember them all so well and have tested them all so well for this issue then you must have logs or proof to back it up.

Guess what, it IS IN FACT working for my kids wii. Doubt it as you will, but it is certainly working. How can you argue with proof. What, do you all need more proof and have me post a video of me disassembling this wii and then show it running with EVERYTHING working before you ppl quit trying to call me out. Like seriously, wtf?!?!?!?! Either your experience is wrong or my things that I have installed do not have what all of those other 300 wii's had installed. There is no BS here.

I am done with this situation at this point. Either try it all out on your own with every board revision, every SM, every SM IOS, and whatever else....or just accept that I am telling you the truth. I am not troll that is known for purposely lying to ppl.

This is now getting rather pitiful. I have to argue and try to prove what I see in front of my own face. seriously, wtf?
Deadlyfoez, please don't take this the wrong way. On post #14 I told the op that he needed a new dvd drive. I did not pull this suggestion out of my ass, there have been others with this issue and I have done everything I can to test and confirm it before the start of this thread. This issue went on for another 45 posts and in post #45 I said again what the issue was and how to fix it. In post #51 you hit me pretty hard basically stating that I was full of shit. Now I know you know a lot about fixing wiis, but I would not say anything that I did not know to be true and had tested myself. I have held many many many noobs hands and helped almost all of them fix their wii, I don't BS and don't make any statements that are not true. So in my defense I tested again what I had tested before, and asked others their opinion on the situation and it seems to hold very very true that a wii does not work well without a dvd drive. Given the OP's symptoms on post #1, there is no possible other explanation for his wii's symptoms other than a bad dvd drive.
At this point I have tested an LU65 and an LU30, one is boot2 bootmii compatible and one is not. I have tested SM 2.0, 3.2 and 4.1 on both wiis. With all setups I have been unable to load any N channel without getting a disc read error, I have been unable to load any usb game (except the 'Pink Fish"), all give disc read errors. I have tried cios38 r14 r17 r21, cios56 r21 cios57 r21. I can not think of anything I could do to make this work, it seems impossible. Perhaps there are a few very very rare wii hardware configs that will allow a wii to function without a dvd drive, such as yours and another posters. But for the large majority of wiis, this simply will not work and my very simple statement in post #14 was very very correct.
This issue has nothing to do with the SM or ios or cios, it persists whether booting with bootmii, cboot2, priiloader, or whatever SM I have tried.
I am willing to test anything and everything to find a solution, I would much like to have a wii that would run with a dvd drive, but ATM I have no ideas on how to make such a thing work.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Labatryth said:
Thanks Mauifrog! I guess I can just stick in any Wii drive then? Does it matter which one I get? I've researched this but it's all Greek to me.

Oh yeah and I so so want to play DVDs on the new drive!
If you want to play dvds on the new drive you will need an older drive that can read dvd discs. The newer drives will not read dvd discs, but would fix your issue with the channels and allow you to load your backups from a usb drive.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Labatryth said:
Well if worse comes to worse I could use my PS2 as a DVD player. But do you think the old drives will be hard to find? How do I even identify them? Are they as strong and sturdy and reliable as the new ones?
The older drives will be more expensive because they can be sold as compatible with certain modchips. There are many types and I don't have the names at the top of my head, but the newer ones don't play dvds. Someone else may be able to give you a better description of which ones will and will not play dvds.

Labatryth

Christian Fantasy Writer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.labatryth.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks man. I'll check for a new drive on EBAY and see what I can get into.
smile.gif

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez, you must have modified something. Pune states here that you need at least the DVD board still connected. And here it says the board needs to be present aswell.

Just sayin'...

Bad_Ad84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
mauifrog said:
Labatryth said:
Well if worse comes to worse I could use my PS2 as a DVD player. But do you think the old drives will be hard to find? How do I even identify them? Are they as strong and sturdy and reliable as the new ones?
The older drives will be more expensive because they can be sold as compatible with certain modchips. There are many types and I don't have the names at the top of my head, but the newer ones don't play dvds. Someone else may be able to give you a better description of which ones will and will not play dvds.

D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C and D2E

I wouldnt bother with D3, D3-2 or D4

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
DF I tried to test this out last night to back you up as I'm still adamant I've seen it done by myself.
But alas, I can help no longer in projects such as this. Lost me feckin triwing
frown.gif

I'll see if I can borrow one from work tonight and then I'll have a play tonight.

And OP, as said, any of DMS, D2A, D2B, D2C, D2E. Any others will not boot dvd-r's (please don't get pissy I called you OP, I know you have a name, I'm just fucked if I know it, lol)

Streamlinehd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
fattest said:
i'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but in his syscheck log at the top of the thread he has TB on more than one system menu IOS. shouldn't all the unused SM IOSs be stubbed?
No, having more than one system menu IOS has nothing to do with it. Stubbed system IOS have no functional purpose other than causing problems for noobs who try to downgrade their system menu.

QUOTE(OncleJulien @ Mar 20 2011, 11:47 PM) arisen, btw.
I know (my browser does have spell check). I can be quite cynical sometimes and I should stop that.

@OP If you take mauifrog's advice and buy a broken Wii on eBay, try to get the serial number and check for the drive type here http://www.wiidrives.com/list

As mentioned D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C and D2E all read DVD and backup discs.

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Labatryth said:
You really aren't getting on well here are you.

Thats a D3. That ad states as number 2, will not read dvd video discs.
Compare the picture of that with this picture, this is what DMS, D2A, D2B, D2C, D2C2 and D2E all look like.
If the board is smaller than this it is not capable.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dms+wi...amp;FORM=IDFRIR

This is what you're looking for
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Original-D2C-Drive...=item41573bb08b

I'm stuffed if I'd pay those prices now though, if you know anyone with half a clue at soldering, just change the board, the drives are fetching one hell of a premium now, I remember when they were like £20-£30

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Atleast online