Initial Mig Switch flashcart units now available and being tested by reviewers

aaaa.png

The first batch of the Mig Switch flashcarts have made their way into the hands of reviewers. Plenty of initial impressions have gone live, with users showing off how the device works. Just as promised, you can in fact play your "legally owned Nintendo Switch games", across any model of Nintendo Switch. However, there are more questions raised than answered.

For one, it's still uncertain if and when you'll get banned after playing online using the Mig Switch--the team claims so long as you have a valid certificate, card ID set, and card UID, and a fully complete game dump, you'll be able to play online just fine. Whether or not Nintendo can notice and take action is something that will take time to see. In order to obtain updates and DLCs for games, you'll need to be online to download them, as the Mig Switch can't load those files itself.

This leads into another quandary. The three aforementioned aspects--the certificates and IDs--come from a backed up copy of a Nintendo Switch game. If someone were to illicitly share their certificate online, there could be dozens or hundreds of users using the same cert for multiple games, across multiple systems, at the same time. Since you can obtain a certificate from a physical game, there's growing concern as to how it could affect pre-owned backed up copies of games that might have had their certificates used and banned. We know for a fact that Nintendo has banned gamecart certificates in the past, as found by scene memeber SciresM back in 2018.

If you're interested in seeing the Mig Switch in action, there are a handful of reviews from notable emulation-focused YouTubers.

So far, what are your thoughts on the Mig Switch? There's plenty of interesting quirks to the device, from its usage, to its mysterious development team. Have you ordered one, either to test out, or for use on trickier to softmod Switch revisions? Or are you staying away from anything to do with this flashcart?

PrincessLisette

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IMO if you're gonna use the MIG Switch you'd be better off getting another console completely disconnected from your existing accounts/systems. Only way to avoid bans.

plus also you can play your stuff on OLED models.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another person here who's been absent for so long but getting pulled back in by this news

Anyways, looking at Alien Retro Gaming's videos testing the cart, it sounds like the console itself doesn't care if your cert file is a match for the game it's attached to, merely that it exists. Considering the pre-mentioned quagmire of used market games, loaning to friends, and even multiple switch hardware households, the primary anti-piracy measures nintendo must have for cert files is making sure the same id isn't being used in more than one game at the same time.

There's still needed more self-sacrificing testing to see if the online detection cares about a mismatch of game and cert file when the console itself doesn't (which might mean information within the file identifying which game title it matches). If the online detection only checks that it's not duplicated at the time however, the safest plan would be obvious: Just use a cert from one of your physical games with the dumper tool and append it to any xci you put on the cart. You're the only one playing with that cert, there's not going to be a duplicate online.

Though again, much like factors such as updates and dlc, this is going to require more risky testing once the carts are widespread available, but I don't think things should be automatically discounted as not being worth it just yet. Time will tell just how useful this winds up being...
Nintendo already has methods in place to detect when a certificate doesn't match the game. You can read the writeup SciresM made a few years back.

tl;dr Any mismatched games and certificates will lead to a ban. Any duplicate certificates will lead to a ban.

VTemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another person here who's been absent for so long but getting pulled back in by this news

Anyways, looking at Alien Retro Gaming's videos testing the cart, it sounds like the console itself doesn't care if your cert file is a match for the game it's attached to, merely that it exists. Considering the pre-mentioned quagmire of used market games, loaning to friends, and even multiple switch hardware households, the primary anti-piracy measures nintendo must have for cert files is making sure the same id isn't being used in more than one game at the same time.

There's still needed more self-sacrificing testing to see if the online detection cares about a mismatch of game and cert file when the console itself doesn't (which might mean information within the file identifying which game title it matches). If the online detection only checks that it's not duplicated at the time however, the safest plan would be obvious: Just use a cert from one of your physical games with the dumper tool and append it to any xci you put on the cart. You're the only one playing with that cert, there's not going to be a duplicate online.

Though again, much like factors such as updates and dlc, this is going to require more risky testing once the carts are widespread available, but I don't think things should be automatically discounted as not being worth it just yet. Time will tell just how useful this winds up being...

CertID to Game is not correlated at the factory for the Switch itself. Switch does not check CertID for content because it does not have this information. It is impractical to feed the Switch all valid CertIDs, it is also a needless security risk to just share all CertIDs in this fashion with the hardware. Switch only checks that the software is signed properly (this is why you cannot run custom files or packed updates), Lotus3 checks that the cart is valid. On Nintendo's end there is a degree of correlation but if the CartID is used to claim points or taken online, it is then 100% correlated.

You can use your own CertID safely for one game, at the risk that N doesn't check if the ID makes sense with the game. If you use the same CertID repeatedly across many games, it becomes a flag within N's token checks server side. No one action will ban you, death by a thousand cuts. This tool will give many cuts unless used very, very carefully. 🤷‍♂️

N's authentication handshake for the cart and Lotus3 is T2 which is done by asym crypto checks from cart to Lotus rather than relying on a hardware common key. They've had the ability to do it since launch but haven't had a need until now. :ninja:

They could do a funny to share bad CertIDs with the Horizon to then reject them coming from the cart. Would start a funny arms race but I think they will do some other more clever checks from Horizon to data passed to sniff it out.

Last edited by VTemp,

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally got banned early on a V1 simply by having a nsp game on system, never played it online, keep it in airplane mode, then days later I went online (did not play any game online) and got the banhammer. I can't say for sure the actual "why" I was banned, but assumed that was "why". (My dumbass should of setup Emunand, I know)
I got ingame ban after used 100% save file for Super Smash Bros Ultimate and when I got new Switch Lite with same SSBU cartridge, online still don't work. I do feel that Nintendo banned cartridge's certificate.

I never have console ban. I don't go online for SSBU (after ban), Pokemon (all series) and Splatoon (all series).

Reactions: BigOnYa

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure hope you can move your saves to the mig for extraction cut's out hb like jksv and checkpoint I'll just keep my lite offfline if i get this (after buying scarlet dlc+ updating ofc
Post automatically merged:

also... 1 month until nintenDMCA's it and throws gary back in jail :creep:
question is is Gary only going to be a scapegoat i mean if he truely went legit (with proof) that would be false imprisonment

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure hope you can move your saves to the mig for extraction cut's out hb like jksv and checkpoint I'll just keep my lite offfline if i get this (after buying scarlet dlc+ updating ofc
Post automatically merged:

question is is Gary only going to be a scapegoat i mean if he truely went legit (with proof) that would be false imprisonment
I hope in his case he did, I wouldn’t want to be in a country where they could extradite.

Reactions: BigOnYa

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Overpriced garbage that can only play base games without updates and DLCs (aside from getting your console banned faster than you can look and probably killing your gamecart slot due to frequently reinserting the cart).
And people get hyped for this? Pathetic. The popcorn's gonna taste extra good when the crybabies come here in the next weeks and months.

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder if this things release will lead to clone carts of official games?

That's an interesting thought, especially if this thing is reversed and dirt cheap clones appear.

Flash a bunch up with a game each and you instantly get rid of game cart slot wear. Much easier then to find the games you want to play.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overpriced garbage that can only play base games without updates and DLCs (aside from getting your console banned faster than you can look and probably killing your gamecart slot due to frequently reinserting the cart).
And people get hyped for this? Pathetic. The popcorn's gonna taste extra good when the crybabies come here in the next weeks and months.
I heard AMC Theatres sell their branded popcorn and we can watch first GBATemp Original Movie named "GBATemp: Mig Switch's Whine and Cry".

• Haha
Reactions: HalfScoper

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Taki Udon review raises an interesting point.
If this thing gets reverse engineered by bootleggers, we could start seeing bootleg Switch games enter the market.
Depending on the cost of production, it could be used to flog cheap bootlegs of first party Nintendo games, or expensive bootlegs of rare limited print games.

If a bootleg market does emerge, consumers that unknowingly buy bootlegs that use mass-recycled certificates could see their systems getting banned, as Nintendo and the current Switch firmware are likely unable to differentiate legitimate cards from flashcarts or bootlegs loaded in the card slot.

The scenario also makes me think that Nintendo will want to accelerate the Switch 2 launch, as to avoid another R4 situation.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is no different to any other form of hack or exploit device that allows you to play backups.

They all lead to the same risk of getting banned, if you are stupid enough to pirate a game then you deserve to get banned.

Its like this.

Did you buy your game Yes/No?

If you didnt buy the game, should you be entitled to get full access Yes/No?

You run modified code on your console that can allow piracy/cheaters, should you be entitled to full features and spoil the fun for those that have purchased legitimately, Yes/No?

Said code is not covered by our warranty as said code/installation method, could cause damage, should we cover that cost, Yes/No?

Should we CONSOLE COMPANY/GAME DEVS, waste time and money to try put in place some method of detecting those who use exploits but magically identify the ones that won't pirate/cheat, Yes/No?

If you moan about running exploits and pirating games and cheating, put yourself in a different position.

Let's say this is your company, its what you've worked hard to build up, its what provides you, your family your income, your lifestyle, its what allows you to pay every single one of your employees - in turn provides them their income to provide for their families, bills, lifestyle.

Should you sit there and ignore the fact your company and console says its OK, we will support and allow people to run exploits and pirate games and cheat online, your all entitled to the exact same support and features as those that spend their hard earned money to buy your console and games.

Come on board game developers, join my company and pay to have license to release your games that your company and investors heavily invests in, your game by the way i completely support those who exploit my console and pirate games released and even cheat.

You wouldn't, if this was your company/product, the answers to the above would be No. You would know that this is bad for business, your not going to get any major support if your console isn't bringing in a good return for your third parties..... exactly the problem with nintendo for decades now.

So this is nothing new, if you want to risk using exploits on your console, you run the risk of getting banned and its only right that you do.

If you are stupid enough to illegally download a game off the Internet and fail to understand that hundreds/thousands if not millions of other people JUST LIKE YOU have done the same and WAY HAY MAN..... WTF WE GOT HERE.... look at all of this people who seem to be playing the EXACT SAME GAME WITH ITS UNIQUE ID.

Thats as stupid as standing infront of a cctv camera in a supermarket and shoving goods in your jacket then walking out without paying and expecting to get away with it.

This is your own fault if you get banned and has always been an issue when it comes to buying pre owned games and consoles, you would hope that the retailer of pre owned games and consoles would fully check EVERYTHING before taking them in.

But if you have the likes of CEX, I have had one of my main PSN ACCOUNTS BANNED because I had logged into a PS3 console I had purchased off them that had previously been banned and as soon as I had logged in, they banned it.

I had to fuck about calling them and speaking to the usual idiots you always get and in the end I finally got to someone who actually assisted me when providing proof that the console I purchased was pre owned.

Had to provide proof of purchase and get someone from CEX to provide proof at their end of the console serial and details of the trade in, and that again was a pain in the arse, same idiotic call centres.

I was able to get my account ban lifted, but the console ban remained, so I had to fight with CEX to return the console and replace it with one that has actually been tested and not been banned.

That became another pain in the arse trying to get the idiots to listen and get their heads out of their arses demanding that CEX company policy is that all stores receive full training and ensure all consoles are fully checked before they receive them.

Even accused me of getting the console banned myself and they'd also insist they only accept returns if there's any fault covered by the warranty and that this is not covered by CEXs warranty.

So you can also add this factor in, while you all sit there complaining about running exploits, pirating and cheating online then leading to you getting banned.

If you purchased a console or game, would you find it perfectly OK if you were to be the one buying said game or console that ends up getting your account banned, and you have the same pain in the arse to fuck about in the hope to get the ban lifted and game/console replaced.

Your account that you have had for decades, an account that you have purchased multiple games, dlc, themes, add ons, music, films, TV shows, across many consoles..... KISS IT ALL BYE BYE, its GONE FOREVER, all that MONEY you INVESTED.......

Naa, I think you would all be bitching like the biggest bitches in the entire universe and multi verse.

These who bitch and complain about getting banned while using exploits, pirating, cheating are simply self centered, self entitled, pig ignorant that think the world owes them everything to be handed to them on a plate, id dont like to use the C word and won't say it and risk getting a warning or ban, but its pretty much how to sum them up.

You want to run exploits, pirate, cheat, you all should know by now that this is going to lead to ban hammers and so you should.

If you are going to use exploits, pirate, cheat then have some decency to keep your ass offline. If you demand full access/features then do what the rest of us do.

Buy your fucking games and dont play them on modified consoles, play them on a console that has not been modified or using exploits or cheats and so on.

Also give up the BS of you not been a pirate that downloads games off the Internet, grow some fucking balls and man up.

Admit that you pirate and use exploits and cheat, fucking hell, theirs millions of us that do. But there are people like me (must be us older generation) that agree and understand this fact.

If we choose to do this, then we do so, but we won't go spoilt the fun for those that have purchased their games legitimately by going online to play a game we pirated and expect full features and also cheat.

We keep our console offline if we decide to pirate games and cheat, if we want to go online then we do so on consoles that are not modified and games that we have physically purchased.

Don't give us the BS that games you pirate downloaded off the Internet are games you physically purchased..... each and every single game....

Yes, like me and others, there are games that we pirate and physically own, but we can honestly admit that we pirate so there are games we have that we have not purchased.

The key fact here is respecting others, if you pirate then keep it offline.

Don't be a bitch and moan when you go get banned.

Its common sense.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pandora's box is now fully open, so it's time I say what needs to be said before the chaos happens.

Now that this is going to get a crap ton more attention, I advise those who enjoy purchasing games used to be extremely careful now when doing so. It doesn't take much for an idiot to dump cartridge information, sell the original copy, still use said information with their flash device, and or share it with others, and if Nintendo detects two or more instances of the same data being utilized at once, all parties will receive a ban, innocent or not, it's not that they don't care, it's more like they can't really tell who is legit and who isn't because both instances pass with legitimate data, unless they know what to look for via a flaw with the flash device, it's not worth the risk.

As for those that will attempt to dump and sell their original games whilst using the original data for this device, those who think they are absolute geniuses by sharing unique cartridge data around thinking they are preservation heroes or some funky garbage like that, and those using such things so loosely because they simply just can't play by the rules for whatever excuse one wants to come up with, basically piracy related stupidity, sincerely in advance, screw you for ruining the used market and basically throwing anyone wanting to buy used games under risk. Hope the selfish gains are worth it.

Yes, I'm pretty bitter about this even in advance, not because the device exists, but because I know we don't have a lot of intelligent people with standard common sense out there to not be dumb enough to ruin it for everyone else.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always in airplane mode? So you never use the eShop? And how do you update your games?

Of course it protects you. It doesn't matter if the system is logging dirty activity if you're never online for it to send that activity to Nintendo. Getting a ban would require taking the system out of airplane mode and connecting to the internet, which would then NOT be "always in airplane mode".
Isn't never going online the same outcome as being banned?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't never going online the same outcome as being banned?
Personally I think being console banned is better than staying offline all the time. You can still use homebrew that uses online such as Breeze, FTP, etc; and you can still update OFW normally through Nintendy.

Reactions: Benja81

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
World politics aside, im frustrated that something like this took so long to finally happen.

Nintendo banning game cards at this point is disheartening, but not surprising. It would be a problem if a banned game card led to having the console banned as well. Which, as I understand it, I fail to see the point, since a banned card id means thw game will be blocked from launching, not necessarily the console it's inserted on.

Reactions: Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed