Installing Origin games to Microsd card

onibaku

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I managed to install the origin launcher however, I'm struggling to find the path for the microsd card when installing games. I checked all the drives but I couldn't find it :( im kind of a Linux noob so would really appreciate any help

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not sure with what file manager steamos ships, but if you use (or install) a known one like nemo or dolphin, it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

It's important to know that linux doesn't do the whole C: D: and so on stuff, but only uses the name of the device.
I think I've read somewhere that you can set up micro SD cards as an extension of the hard drive. If yours somehow got assimilated, then it probably won't show up regarding what file manager you use.

Oh, and perhaps: is there a program called gparted on the device? (or in the store) It ships with ubuntu distro's, but have no idea whether it's available in arch or steamos. Either way: it's a program that shows partitioning tables on different devices. It might provide info.

Sorry I can't give more details (and my post seems a bit random); this is where it would be easier to do if I had the device myself. :-\

Reactions: onibaku

onibaku

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
No worries, I really appreciate the reply :) Mine has dolphin installed, I was able to see the removable storage in the file manager but it didn't seem to show up when I was changing the install location for a game. I'll see if I can install gparted and whether that could help me. If i manage to find the location, I'll post it here (in case there are other noobs like me) :D

Reactions: Taleweaver

szezjo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I still don't have Steam Deck and I didn't play on Linux for a while, so what I will write here is just a guess. The question is how microSD is mounted in Steam Deck. Normally on Linux it should be mounted in /mnt or /media folder. In Wine the root folder is Z:, so the SD card folder should be available after mounting somewhere in Z:/mnt or Z:/media.

Normally what I would recommend is using gparted/fdisk or something similar to check what device is SD card (in /dev path) and using command like "sudo mount /dev/<sd card device> /media/microsd", but the problem is you really want to have it mounted and know its path in "gaming UI", so the thing I would do is probably add a terminal or file manager as non-Steam application and find SD card there.

That's what I can say for now - I'm in Q1, so I will get my Deck very soon, but right now I'm just walking in the dark :D

Reactions: onibaku

onibaku

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Ah i tested Z:/media/"name of my sd card" but it didnt seem to work :/ i also tried Z:/var/run/media/"name of my sd card" but it said path does not exist in both occasions.

Linux is new to me so im currently a little confused by the file system. I still havent tested gparted, ill try it out later this evening though, thanks for the tips guys :)

onibaku

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It seems that my microsd card is hidden when trying to change the install location in origin.. even if i copy the actual path, it doesn't recognize it. I tried to install origin to the microsd card but that didnt work either. I did however install a steam game that required origin to my microsd card, then accessed that instance of the origin client (in desktop mode) and was able to find my microsd card. Trying to install a new game this way and see if I can get it to work, hope there'll be an easier way to do this 😕

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck my dude. I've been bitching about this for nearly a week! There's no easy way to format anything in desktop mode. Gparted is not installed on Deck. Using external storage is a pain. I managed to get games installed to 32 SD cards by combination of pulling out all the micros and using the internal reader or taking a micro to full size SD adapter and formatting my full size cards that way.

I sent a email to Valve yesterday. I hope they take it into consideration. If you're on a 64 GB deck, you're already hurting for space. Not being able to setup storage as needed makes the Deck a pain to use.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is confusing to me (I don't have a Deck to test it myself), but every distro I've ever used has auto-mounted removable storage and it's been totally painless to use. I think my cards were already formatted to EXFAT or FAT32 when I bought them as I never had to format them myself.

onibaku

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah there are some pains, still loving the device tbough :D btw didnt know about the pre-shader caching, good to know! Might have to upgrade my 64gb at some point :/

Managed to solve my issue, realized that I had accidentally hidden my sd card in dolphin so thats why I wasnt able to search for it.

There's also a new guide on Gaming on Linux channel on how to install to sd card with Epic Games:

Reactions: LightyKD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: