Internet Dies

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
January 28th next year the internet dies. They call it the "sunset period".

WhoIs will cease to exist and will be replaced by convoluted system and obviously money and power has caused almost everyone to shut up about it.

The Internet as we know it will no longer be there and zeur says we will also cease to be part of this "brand new internet"....

Its all ending....it wasn't gonna last forever. Idiocracy will happen.

We're on a baaaad timeline.

• Wow
Reactions: Xdqwerty

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WHOIS is not the Internet, it's just a protocol for viewing ownership information about domain names.

All that's happening end of January is that WHOIS is being discontinued because unsurprisingly a protocol that old isn't really holding up anymore. It will be replaced with RDAP which is much better. This is a good thing and does not impact anyone's usage of the Internet.

The rest is conspiracy theories with zero grounding in reality. It's quite impressive how mundane changes can be dramatised so much.

There is factual information on this mundane change here and if you dont trust Wikipedia try looking at the sources it links rather than conspiracy websites. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHOIS#ICANN_proposal_to_abolish_WHOIS

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Fuck off its the end of the internet as we know it and you know nothing. It changes everything because its how everything is registered and operates. It was already bad people started to break the existing protocol.

I didn't see any conspiracy theory websites I only heard it from zeur. In fact there seemed to be no alarm bells going for anyone.
Post automatically merged:

About a year since I joined GBAtemp.net the internet will die. How poetic isn't it?

There was nothing wrong with the whois protocol, it was simple, there was no problem, its all LIES and MONEY that is involved. You get it? No you don't. You might as well be braindead as Luke. But who cares here right? Gbatemp already didn't care about whois and didn't even provide contact e-mail adress. That is a
CARDINAL SIN. YOU HAVE BETRAYED THE PROTOCOL, YOU HAVE BETRAYED THE LAW

etc

It was there so people can be held accountable. Now...on a very basic level, nothing will work again ever...

the new protocol requires HTML and there was something with javascript too. Are you serious? This is supposed to be a BASIC PROTOCOL that even in any kind of basic modes will RUN.

This is complete nonsense, its everything backwards. And I don't even know as much about it as zeur. Every domain you visit will run under these new conditions. THE GDPR was a mistake in the first place and started allowing for abuses...

It will all begin to collapse and crumble...you'll see. And I might even give it a "push"...hahaha

Last edited by LeoTCK,
  • Haha
Reactions: Seriel

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck off its the end of the internet as we know it and you know nothing. It changes everything because its how everything is registered and operates. It was already bad people started to break the existing protocol.

I didn't see any conspiracy theory websites I only heard it from zeur. In fact there seemed to be no alarm bells going for anyone.

About a year since I joined GBAtemp.net the internet will die. How poetic isn't it?

There was nothing wrong with the whois protocol, it was simple, there was no problem, its all LIES and MONEY that is involved. You get it? No you don't. You might as well be braindead as Luke. But who cares here right? Gbatemp already didn't care about whois and didn't even provide contact e-mail adress. That is a

etc

It was there so people can be held accountable. Now...on a very basic level, nothing will work again ever...

the new protocol requires HTML and there was something with javascript too. Are you serious? This is supposed to be a BASIC PROTOCOL that even in any kind of basic modes will RUN.

This is complete nonsense, its everything backwards. And I don't even know as much about it as zeur. Every domain you visit will run under these new conditions. THE GDPR was a mistake in the first place and started allowing for abuses...

It will all begin to collapse and crumble...you'll see. And I might even give it a "push"...hahaha
Get professional help

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Who the hell even is "zeur"? When your only source of information is one specific person, it speaks volumes about the kind of crap you'll believe. My source of information is the public Internet and the ones making changes themselves. I work for a huge company that operates a domain registrar, and do actually understand the semantics of how it works. But of course I'm also just a random person and could talk out my ass right? So could your beloved friend.

To address a few points:
Gbatemp already didn't care about whois and didn't even provide contact e-mail adress. That is a
Not providing an email address in the WHOIS is not a violation of the law. If it was, you should take that violation up with law enforcers instead of screaming about it online.
It's HTTP-based and uses JSON, both of which are standard. You don't need to be a computer to read JSON. All the same information is provided, just in a more standard format which makes it easier to consume for clients: https://rdap.verisign.com/net/v1/domain/gbatemp.net
I mean yeah, we'll see. Feel free to come back and contact me directly with the status update of the Internets demise. You'll find I am the first to admit I'm wrong when things don't shake out the way we expect. I can only hope you do the same.

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Who the hell even is "zeur"? When your only source of information is one specific person, it speaks volumes about the kind of crap you'll believe. My source of information is the public Internet and the ones making changes themselves. I work for a huge company that operates a domain registrar, and do actually understand the semantics of how it works. But of course I'm also just a random person and could talk out my ass right? So could your beloved friend.

To address a few points:

Not providing an email address in the WHOIS is not a violation of the law. If it was, you should take that violation up with law enforcers instead of screaming about it online.

It's HTTP-based and uses JSON, both of which are standard. You don't need to be a computer to read JSON. All the same information is provided, just in a more standard format which makes it easier to consume for clients: https://rdap.verisign.com/net/v1/domain/gbatemp.net

I mean yeah, we'll see. Feel free to come back and contact me directly with the status update of the Internets demise. You'll find I am the first to admit I'm wrong when things don't shake out the way we expect. I can only hope you do the same.
I made threads explaining who zeur was, its my partner and we live together.
The original WHOIS is simple and I can just execute command to have a query. It is very very simple for ACTUAL PEOPLE. Not "CLIENTS" or braindead morons who need a fancy interface on everything.

Also congratulations on not getting the "YOU BETRAYED THE LAW" joke, look it up. That infamous scene with Sylvester Stallone. I know it doesn't have to do with actual law....

You completely miss the point, you're just a dead pawn in some large company. Well congratulations.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, I just have better things to do than argue with delusional people on the Internet. You should do the same, we clearly won't get it. Fool on us, right? So have fun knowing something we don't!

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
No, I just have better things to do than argue with delusional people on the Internet. You should do the same, we clearly won't get it. Fool on us, right? So have fun knowing something we don't!
Yes but at the end it will be you "sheeple" who will turn out to be the delusional masses. Just like people believed in Flat Earth long ago. But people who disputed Flat Earth were instead seen as delusional.

So I feel good about this.

They should have applied ssl to the old protocol instead. Its all overboard. They don't fix problems they put it in a new protocol. It doesn't serve the same purpose as WHOIS. WHOIS was meant for PEOPLE. This replacement is FOR COMPUTERS.

Last edited by LeoTCK,

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

etc

Like Duncan Cameron?

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I get 505 HTTP version not supported. If I follow it from this machine. So...yea very helpful and on the linux side zeur gets nothing either.

Verisign is not exactly the shiny registrar out there. My condolences if you work for them.

Well it displays it for him as one long line of text what you just posted that verisign link. Its completely fucking useless. This is not the same data as WHOIS. You idiot.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well it displays it for him as one long line of text what you just posted that verisign link. Its completely fucking useless. This is not the same data as WHOIS. You idiot.
You should try out Firefox, its JSON viewer is beautiful <3 - I do wish these RDAP servers would at least prettify their JSON, but can't have everything I suppose. At least now I know it will always have predictable fields in predictable places rather than being a mess of text. Very nice for finding contact emails.

Can't wait to see how using JSON over plain text contributes to the demise of the Internet, it will certainly be interesting to find out.

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
You should try out Firefox, its JSON viewer is beautiful <3 - I do wish these RDAP servers would at least prettify their JSON, but can't have everything I suppose. At least now I know it will always have predictable fields in predictable places rather than being a mess of text. Very nice for finding contact emails.

Can't wait to see how using JSON over plain text contributes to the demise of the Internet, it will certainly be interesting to find out.
That's funny because he did try it there on a version of firefox...but it was all like that still.

Still...WHOIS is normally operable on ANY terminal. How is this an improvement? And it omits some data than WHOIS.

Yes this whole behavior/mess will lead to the demise..it was already on its way but this is like the FINAL INSULT.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I remember when I lost QR Codes digital backups for Discordapp(creators are very arogant by the way)for two accounts authentication steps that I used in one of my own accounts. By quoting reinterpreting words I mean those were both for instance Delacroix and GerbilSoft. Right now I still regret listening to them both nowadays...etc. I should never listen to them in the first place. I did because probably because of computer hackers cyber attack it happened several years ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://doublepulsar.com/recall-stealing-everything-youve-ever-typed-or-viewed-on-your-own-window...