• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,579
  • Replies 7
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
GamesMaster is british videogame show that aired from 1992-1998 on Channel 4.
It was the first UK television program dedicated to computer and videogames.
Dominik Diamond was the host from Season 1-2 and 4-7.
He shares his memories from the show on the Retro Hour podcast.
The interview starts at 18:55.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: hippy dave

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
I recall an interview with a former contestant who exposed the show as being rigged. Challenges were played over and over until the producers got the outcome they wanted. That's TV for you though. Gives a bad taste to all those childhood memories.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I recall an interview with a former contestant who exposed the show as being rigged. Challenges were played over and over until the producers got the outcome they wanted. That's TV for you though. Gives a bad taste to all those childhood memories.
While most would probably not have said no to a nice golden joystick did you really care about the contest about much as new game info, cheats and slip one past the censors dick jokes?

Reactions: Deleted User

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes actually, the competition setup and presentation of the joystick in its big case are some of the few vague memories I have. I don't even remember if any of that information was useful. The only element I really remember from the show is Sir Patrick Moore's face and that Domink Diamond was a way better host than Dexter Fletcher. The rest is the haze of 20 years ago.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes actually, the competition setup and presentation of the joystick in its big case are some of the few vague memories I have. I don't even remember if any of that information was useful. The only element I really remember from the show is Sir Patrick Moore's face and that Domink Diamond was a way better host than Dexter Fletcher. The rest is the haze of 20 years ago.
Fair enough.
In my case I would not have been late for dinner for the competition part.

Was definitely late for dinner for

Very few things saw me as excited about upcoming games before that or since, especially not in recent years. That still sticks out though.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
I was so pissed off when I realized that Patrick Moore new absolutely jack shit about games and was actually reading from a script instead of being a floating, disembodied head that somehow had complete proficiency of every single title, ever and could - off the top of his head - convey said tips whilst simultaneously sneering in disdain at the prepubescent oiks that were lined up to ask him questions.

The cheese was well and truly off my cracker from that point on as I realized the rough lesson that television isn't true and its all done for effect. The basts!

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
R.I.P. Sir GamesMaster :cry:

Thanks for sharing the interview, will check it out later. This show was a very memorable part of our childhood.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Domink Diamond was a way better host than Dexter Fletcher. The rest is the haze of 20 years ago.
Very true but I'm sure Dexter aint complaining with all the Hollywood films he has stated in or written/directed while Dominik is pretty much a nobody these days. Last I heard he was working for a small time radio station called Jake FM in Calgary Canada.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Kc1jwvt97hU?si=VUBcjx-jLeYltuCD lol 20" iPad ideas