Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
IRC server move
Immediate change
To all of us IRC lovers, please note that the GBAtemp IRC server is moving (being hosted on another computer). So temporarily, the current address - irc.gbatemp.net - might not work for you. If you can't wait, you may use this address to connect, temporarily:

irc2.gbatemp.net:5190
or
91.121.42.111:5190

The main channel is #gbatemp.net
Thanks for your understanding!
The staff~

Passa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't understand. What is it 'first' posters get out of doing that? It confounds me to no end. Are you sitting there, biting your lip, jizzing in your pants as you hit the 'reply' button or what?

On-topic, I have never understood why GBAtemp hosts its own IRC server. I think it's neato, but yeah, much like 'first' posters, don't get it.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Well hosting your own server lets you run it as you see fit
biggrin.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i idle on it 24/7 with norm and smiths in #acekard. i find the very useful. when i have a problem i can contact a gbatemp admin and i can get it solved quickly. you don't get that kind of help on a large irc network. i also find the server connection speeds much faster than a large network, ping time is always really low. it is an ideal way to chat with gbatemp members, flash kit hobbyist, etc.

LeeTV

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
leetv.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
I dont want to sound dumb or anything but, What exactly is an IRC server? I have heard about it but, I dont REALLY know what one is
wacko.gif
.... Well I could just wait a few days till I go to somewhere with my DS Organize and a Wifi AP...
yaynds.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IRC is a chatroom (stands for "internet relay chat" I believe). This one in particular is the one used for GBAtemp-related chats (obviously). It is a good place to just talk about random things if you behave!
tongue.gif

Also, I've not been logging into IRC as much due to being too busy with a new job. Real life > internetz

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
i idle on it 24/7 with norm and smiths in #acekard. it is an ideal way to chat with gbatemp members, flash kit hobbyist, etc.

Same here. I'm not ALWAYS online but i'm on #acekard most of the time.

Question: what actually happened to the server?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Very accurate.