Is a PS2 worth it if I already have a PS3 and emulation capable systems?

5witchy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I know it's dirt cheap but I already got a lot of stuff around. The biggest advantage I'd get on real hardware is the see ahh(r) tee tv.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having the original console is arguably the best experience you'll get over emulators.

Yes, emulators have fancy options like 8K upscaling, HD texture packs, faster load times, etc. But it is also not the most accurate experience.

You'll have slowdowns in certain games, some will just straight up not load at all (very rarely however), or games just look all sorts of messed up. And not to mention how hacks are needed to play any game properly.

You can say herp-derp I don't any problems emulating PS2 on my pc at 8K resolution, but chances are you have an overly expensive gaming rig.

The PS2 is emulated (even partially on BC models) for the PS3, and while it is an okay experience, it's also not the greatest. [Side note: The PS2 is emulated fully through software on non-BC models, and the GPU is either fully or partially emulated iirc on BC models.]

tl;dr Depends on your use case. Go with the actual PS2 if you like having your games run and look well. Go with emulators if you like playing with fancy options and the convenience of having everything on one platform.

Reactions: Blythe93

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
There's not really an objective answer, it comes down to preference.

If you prefer the original experience, it should be worth it to you to have the original console. I'm the kind of person who does, so even despite the popularity of emulation and the capability of my PC, I like to play on original hardware when I can.

If you don't mind enjoying the games through emulation, then I don't see a point in spending the money on original hardware.

In any case, with FreeMCBoot/FreeHDBoot and MechaPwn (SCPH-50000+ only) installed, I think a PS2 is an awesome console to play on still.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're talking about the BC-compatible fat ps3's, then you'd need to take into account the hardware maintenance that comes with it. I personally don't trust those things, one day it's working, the 2nd it won't and all your data is gone, but that's a different subject..
If you want to get one in a decent working condition, be prepared to pay a little more than what Slims cost now, and probably a lot more.
A fat ps2 with an internal (sata) hdd is hard to beat imo, the price is cheaper (for components) and the hardware is reliable.
The only thing you might have an issue with is the video cables, like i understand if you only have a new tv with no component inputs (which is best for the PS2) etc. Note that there are some hdmi adapters (apart from upscalers like OSSC) that you could use and they're not crazy expensive. so either way, go with whatever best for you, all it matters is playing/enjoying games, right?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For he moment, I'd say yes, it does. PS2 emulation has yet a long way to go to make a PS2 redundant.
An emulator that can emulate a PS2 reliably and with quality is yet to appear, but there has been good progress.

I'd say 5 more years until 90% of the PS2 library can be emulated, rendering these consoles less necessary.

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3s work just fine on a CRT (or see ahh(r) tee as you weirdly put it), so that's not an advantage one way or another.

However, PS3 does not allow 240p output, PS2 does.
So if you're really picky about original resolution for PS1 games and PS2 games like ICO that use 240p, then you'd want to get a PS2.

Otherwise, I see no reason to bother. PS3 is a great way to play games from all 3 generations.

EDIT: I'm assuming you have a fully backward compatible PS3.

Last edited by Zaide,
Reactions: CoolMe

5witchy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
PS3s work just fine on a CRT (or see ahh(r) tee as you weirdly put it), so that's not an advantage one way or another.

However, PS3 does not allow 240p output, PS2 does.
So if you're really picky about original resolution for PS1 games and PS2 games like ICO that use 240p, then you'd want to get a PS2.

Otherwise, I see no reason to bother. PS3 is a great way to play games from all 3 generations.

EDIT: I'm assuming you have a fully backward compatible PS3.
Nope, I only have a slim 25XX model, and with that comes the extra hassle to get compatible PS2 games working as they should in the form of config files.
I don't have a playstation video cable to test it on my CRT but I don't think it would be suitable (480i max, small fonts, no 240p as you said) unlike the Wii/Xbox 360.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is every PS2 on the planet going to explode? :O
Disc rot is a thing but you don't have to play PS2 games from a disc, we're well beyond that being a concern.
Rather the drives. Pressed optical media are rather stable if not damaged. Of the thousands of discs I have (audio CD, video DVD, PC games, video BD, console games) 4 show signs of premature failure (none of them actually failed yet).
  • Two are from the same pressing (Command & Conquer – Red Alert 2 CD1/2).
  • One CD with a strange discoloration (unknown history, got it used)
  • A brand new DVD (received it when it was already 10 years+ old, but the package has never been opened). I suspect heat damage – like attic storage – for the DVD.

One factor is emulation VS real hardware... Real hardware for the PS2 is real old by this time. Eventually it wont really be a choice.
Eliminating the moving parts (optical drive), there could be potentially capacitor problems. All electronics can get that, but it can be repaired. The clock battery will need to be replaced at some point. Same for a fan. Other than that… I don't see a reason for the PS2 to not survive a few decades more. More of a problem are TVs without analoge inputs requiring HDMI converters hopefully not introducing additional lag.

Preserving old stuff as long as possible is cool!

Reactions: CoolMe

5witchy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is every PS2 on the planet going to explode? :O
Disc rot is a thing but you don't have to play PS2 games from a disc, we're well beyond that being a concern.
Well you never know: my Wii did explode at 1/1/2023 as foreseen, and yours too. Maybe that could happen to PS2s too! Nintendo isn't the only one to force their lacking retro "catalog" into a subscription service.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Of the thousands of discs I have (audio CD, video DVD, PC games, video BD, console games) 4 show signs of premature failure (none of them actually failed yet).
I've had several, but most have been consumer-grade CD-Rs.

The drive dying is something that doesn't make the console inoperable, as we've both mentioned. There will come a time when there aren't millions of units out there for replacement parts, too, but we're far off from that point.

Everything else you mentioned is easily replaced (by someone better at repairs than myself, I still have a torn down PS2 sitting in a box), so I'm not too worried about that either. There are consoles from decades before I was born still going strong with routine maintenance, so it's not like there's not precedent for these thoughts.

If there were some sort of bigger issue that were common, like CPU/GPU death in the console, I'd be a lot more concerned about the future of the PS2. As of today, I've owned five of them over the last decade, and they likely all function still (and the two still in my possession most definitely do). One of my PS2 Slims was sold to a fellow temper. Hope that one's doing well ^_^

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's dirt cheap but I already got a lot of stuff around. The biggest advantage I'd get on real hardware is the see ahh(r) tee tv.
If you have an early model PS3 with PS2 support built in. Then I would say no. But if you are actually just emulating the PS2 games then I suggest getting an actual console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: it's a frappy moment