The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
its still needed if you want to use that gateway . . . dont listen too noobs
Stop using gateway, problem solved.
A9LH allows CFW to run on your sysNAND, basically treating your sysNAND like an emuNAND. Nowadays an emuNAND is just out of date and a waste of space

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I use Luma3DS and emuNANDs, mainly for testing out things, such as making adjustments to the emuNAND as well as doing some experiments in games.

I know Gateway is incredibly outdated and just about obsolete, but I use it for testing out ROMs that are in .3ds format. It has many incompatibilities with so many things, which is why I don't use it unless I feel like I really have to.

Last edited by Platinum Lucario,

Fil o_O

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh-ho-ho. But with safehax, we can run luma3ds even without a9lh.

But pretty much every newcomer will/ or should be directed to the most comprehensive guide there is. This guide will make newcomers set up a system for which an emuNAND is obsolete, for sure.

As it has been said in this thread before: an emuNAND is not a requirement anymore, because of FIRM_PROTECT and it is therefore a "tool" that can provide extra possibilities for people who like to experiment with different setups, but for the average user that only wants to have a gaming experience + the possibilities of homebrew (as .cia) an A9LH + LUMA3DS setup without emuNAND is definitely the way to go.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say for people who are too afraid of bricking their system and want a safe CFW that maybe it still something they will consider alternative. Or maybe they would use it or having multiple CFW i guess, not really sure. I would use it for testing other CFW since is just trail process for which one i may like to use without needing to worry about messing with the main NAND, keeping it safe and not needing to constant flash back ups to if i mess something up. Is all opinions i guess, it exist and people still use it, even though a9lh is considered the supreme method.:unsure:

Arck

Trophies
XP
Country
I still use the emunand for dangerous stuff like making mod of system title

I did brick with A9LH installed once (yeah real brick with A9LH installed)

Hopefully I have an hard mod

Last edited by Arck,

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I wouldn't say obsolete* , but surely in most cases (mod 3DS for CIA and homebrew) it's mostly a redundant thing to have nowadays.

*It would be obsolete if we had a newer and improved NAND redirection, but it surely would be called something stupid like "the new emunand" by the community

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
i am using sysNAND (a9lh) on my n3ds , no more emuNAND.

but on one of my Og 3ds i still have both emu/sys.
i prefer having only sysNAND with A9LH, as i do not even use my GW anymore :/ it is sleeping.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Menuhax would make more sense if you don't want a9lh. If someone paid you money to "install" menuhax though they'd have to be pretty stupid :-p
Haha actually it's not even menuhax since it was patched for v11.2 right? So they'll have to open soundhax+safehax first just to enter emunand. Just like the old times. Not really stupid...well maybe a little, but really lazy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
They're only useful to change regions and for tests that could potentially brick your NAND.

Or for getting around the 300 installed game icon for those who insist on having a ton of VC injects. Just stick all your non-GBA VC stuff and homebrew emulators on emunand leaving sysnand for 3ds games, dsiware, and gba stuff.

Last edited by nl255,

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
I would say for people who are too afraid of bricking their system and want a safe CFW that maybe it still something they will consider alternative. Or maybe they would use it or having multiple CFW i guess, not really sure. I would use it for testing other CFW since is just trail process for which one i may like to use without needing to worry about messing with the main NAND, keeping it safe and not needing to constant flash back ups to if i mess something up. Is all opinions i guess, it exist and people still use it, even though a9lh is considered the supreme method.:unsure:
But there is no such thing as a safe CFW, creating them requires reverse engineering, some soft bricks, some hard bricks. After they are made, they unlock dangerous stuff, they being noob friendly or not, suck as signature remove/patch and someone can make a "homebrew" "reencrypted game" with malicious code. There can have a safer CFW, but never zero brick rate for CFW installation or entrypoint installation.
Someone wanting that is the same of someone wanting complete peace in the middle of a big city, it will never happen.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
emunand is never going to be obsolete as long as it serves the intended purpose. It only seems obsolete in the presence of a9lh, which is a far greater risk (corrupted firm, permanent backdoor for third parties to run any payloads they want, reliance on cfw to prevent a9lh bricks). So for those who are willing to accept a hacked sysnand just for a9lh, the risk mitigated by emunand would be insignificant.

Reactions: emuashui

emuashui

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
a9lh cfw sysnand can only have 1 in a console, but emunands can have more than 1, chosen by multi-booting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: It was a Call of Dootie