Is it good to watch Top Gun Maverick without watching the first one?

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Short answer: Not vital, more like "nice to have".
I think it adds like from .25 to .5 to the whole experience.
It adds a little bit of depth to the story (and it's not that deep tbh). My kids (21/24) watched the movie (for the first time) before we went to the cinema. Afterwards they told me seeing the first movie before was the right choice and rated maverick above topgun. I'm old so nostalgia gives topgun a little edge...

Deleted member 546149

OP
Trophies
XP
Short answer: Not vital, more like "nice to have".
I think it adds like from .25 to .5 to the whole experience.
It adds a little bit of depth to the story (and it's not that deep tbh). My kids (21/24) watched the movie (for the first time) before we went to the cinema. Afterwards they told me seeing the first movie before was the right choice and rated maverick above topgun. I'm old so nostalgia gives topgun a little edge...
Alright thanks

Reactions: zxr750j

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I should probably watch it lol
Its just a 2hr movie, not like you have to dive into an entire series/universe to grasp what you are watching to enjoy it. Its worth sitting in on alone for the 80's references and the kickass soundtrack that is constantly going on throughout the movie.

Take it from someone that had time and again try to get friends into series and having to get them caught up from the beginning. This is anything but a tiring/long sit through. Plus you might end up enjoying the new one even more because of the references that you now know of. Its worth the 2 hour investment seeing the first movie if you have the means to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....