Is it possible to disable/enable power on the Nintendo Switch USB Ports?

Kaeseboot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello nifty people on gbatemp,

I have recently started to tinker around with CPU/GPU clocks on my v1 hacked switch to get better graphics/stable performance out of certain games (e.g. Octo Path Traveler II).
The system is running the overclocks stable but I did notice quite some increase in fan speed, especially while in docked mode. Nothing unusual but the small fan inside the Switch is getting quite loud at speeds above 30%. So I did replace the thermal paste inside the switch and added some thermal pads, which helped a little but for longer play session (>1h) it does get quite loud again. To get around this "issue" I added a noctua 80mm external fan powered by USB to the dock. I have one of those smaller build docks you can put your original components in to save some space as the original is quiet chunky. It works like a charm and the noctua fan is very quiet and reduces the internal fan speed down to 20% even for longer play sessions.

Now to why I created this thread in the first place and my initial question:
Is it possible to disable/enable Power on Nintendo Switch USB Ports by homebrew? This would allow me to power on and off the fan connected by USB without having to disconnect it manually all the time. The fan is active even if the switch is in sleep mode. I know this is a very specific question but I had no luck searching the gbatemp forum or the internet for clues on this specific topic.

Thank you in advance

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
@Kaeseboot
Just use something like this:

4-Port-USB-Hub-with-Power-Switches-01-800x800.jpg

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello nifty people on gbatemp,

I have recently started to tinker around with CPU/GPU clocks on my v1 hacked switch to get better graphics/stable performance out of certain games (e.g. Octo Path Traveler II).
The system is running the overclocks stable but I did notice quite some increase in fan speed, especially while in docked mode. Nothing unusual but the small fan inside the Switch is getting quite loud at speeds above 30%. So I did replace the thermal paste inside the switch and added some thermal pads, which helped a little but for longer play session (>1h) it does get quite loud again. To get around this "issue" I added a noctua 80mm external fan powered by USB to the dock. I have one of those smaller build docks you can put your original components in to save some space as the original is quiet chunky. It works like a charm and the noctua fan is very quiet and reduces the internal fan speed down to 20% even for longer play sessions.

Now to why I created this thread in the first place and my initial question:
Is it possible to disable/enable Power on Nintendo Switch USB Ports by homebrew? This would allow me to power on and off the fan connected by USB without having to disconnect it manually all the time. The fan is active even if the switch is in sleep mode. I know this is a very specific question but I had no luck searching the gbatemp forum or the internet for clues on this specific topic.

Thank you in advance
Your easiest solution would probably be to just get a smart wall plug tbh. Than plug a usb outlet into that.
If you know about things like HomeAssistant and buy a cheap thermal probe. You can even have HomeAssistant automatically turn that plug on and off at specific temps

Reactions: Kaeseboot

Kaeseboot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you for your suggestions. I agree that the easiest solution for me would be to use a smart plug device. Luckily I already have Philips smart Home integrated into my apartment and am using a smart plug to turn off/on my 3D printer. Should have thought about that first.

Thanks for all your input :yayswitch:

Henx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I recommended the AC Infinity Controller 1. Put the probe inside the switch, choose the temperature and it will automatically adjust the fan speed. The housing of the controller can be a bit too big to attach it to the switch though.
https://acinfinity.com/component-co...set-thermal-trigger-for-usb-fans-and-devices/

Alternatively, buy one with a voltage adjuster, and do it manually. Better than taking of the cable every time.
amazon.com/ELUTENG-Ventilator-Compatible-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B071JB9WYB/

Reactions: Kaeseboot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?