Hacking GCN Is It Possible to Homebrew a Gamecube?

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. If your disk drive works, find an exploitable disc to boot a soft mod.

2. Buy an ODE to replace the disc drive.

3. Solder an IPL replacement chip to the motherboard.

Reactions: Kioku

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have dealt with homebrew before, on my 3ds. I recently got a gamecube and am looking at hacking options.
The PicoBoot is a great low cost option but does require some soldering. It's pretty easy soldering, but I wouldn't do it if you have zero soldering experience, ask someone with at least a little experience to do it for you instead.

You can get by with an exploitable game, or a Datel SD Media Launcher (or even an Action Replay if you buy a SD Gecko and type in the cheat code for SDLoad)
But all of those methods are kind of a hassle. To be able to have it autoboot into Swiss, you need a modchip.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

cartergamegeek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DOL-01 GameCube models have a few extra ways to do it if your GameCube is a DOL-01. Tons of mods exist for all models but the easier one to mod is the DOL-01.

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are those extra ways? They're all applicable to all models.
1683818015741.png

https://heldergametech.com/shop/game-cube/picoboot-quick-solder-flex-for-dol-001/

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know the specifics on homebrewing a gamecube, but there's a gamecube-dev section of devkitpro, which is what most homebrew on Nintendo systems uses. and, I know that a lot of the emulator apps can create gamecube versions of the homebrew, which I think also uses dol?

cartergamegeek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are those extra ways? They're all applicable to all models.
DOL-01 has the extra port on the bottom. The DOL-01 has the serial 2 port on it. So you can run Swiss and your apps off an SD card that uses the serial port 2. If a GameCube is newer and does not have the component out it lacks that serial port 2 on the bottom. People make a serial SD card connector for the port 2. You can't use that on any GameCube that lacks it.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DOL-01 has the extra port on the bottom. The DOL-01 has the serial 2 port on it. So you can run Swiss and your apps off an SD card that uses the serial port 2. If a GameCube is newer and does not have the component out it lacks that serial port 2 on the bottom. People make a serial SD card connector for the port 2. You can't use that on any GameCube that lacks it.
Serial 2 definitely does still exist even on DOL-101 models. It just becomes a hardmod and not very worthwhile to do at that point because it requires soldering to alternative points on the motherboard.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Serial 2 definitely does still exist even on DOL-101 models. It just becomes a hardmod and not very worthwhile to do at that point because it requires soldering to alternative points on the motherboard.
If you like to be pedantic please move your eyes to where they said the "port" for serial 2 is missing, not the internal connection points.

As for OP, if your poison is the SD Media Launcher route and you have an EU PAL cube then you might still be able to buy one new from Datel's homepage directly. If you have a US you're going to have get one second hand instead.

cartergamegeek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can look up what I was going on about. the serial port 2 that never got used by Nintendo can be used with an SD2SP2 and run things off an SD card. But DOL-101 does not have the serial port 2 on it. It has the serial 1 as that port was used by Nintendo. Nintendo never used port 2 so to save money it and the component out got removed on DOL-101 models.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I'm not going into that. +1