Hacking Is it possible to play New 3ds only games on a old 3ds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The simple answer is "No"
The long answer, the old3DS simply doesn't have the resources. The old3DS is not only slower, but the CPU is a fuckton weaker than the New3DS. The old3DS is running a dual-core CPU vs the quad-core in the new3DS. So even these videos of underclocking don't show the full scope of how bad the games will be.
These are examples of what happens when you put a new3DS game in an Old3DS

What it would play like if it could play the game and this still doesn't show the full scope of how bad the games will preform.

And just how different the hardware is between the two systems

Simply put, save up and buy a new system.

Last edited by The Catboy,

fenderjaguar

Trophies
XP
Country
I was just playing metroid samus returns on O3DS and N3DS, and from what I can see, the performance seems to be the same. Also, I'm not sure, but is the game seems to be capped at 30 fps anyway?

But then, we all know about the faster CPU with more cache, more cores, and more RAM of the N3DS. But what is the difference of the GPU between O3DS and N3DS, it is actually quite similar? I say this, because looking at the new metroid game, I see it as being mostly shader based effects, and therefore GPU bound. Which is not relying heavily on the CPU, like some other games with lots of objects on screen (which rely on CPU) like minecraft and hyrule warriors, to mention a few well known examples

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I read this, but it didn't go on to specify clockspeed or number of shaders/rops, if the N3DS was some kind of souped up pica2000 or they are just the same...
The CPU is what changed between the two.
https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware
As you can see the GPU is still the same, but the CPU for the old3DS is a slower dual-core in contrast to the faster quad-core of the new3DS

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made an SNES Inject of BS Zelda third quest(amazing game btw) and even it ran horribly(super lag) on my O3dsXL . If it cant run that it definitely wont run xenoblade. Thank god my wife let me use her n2dsxl today so i can play it(zelda)
Don't use injections. Use SNES9x 3ds by Bubble2k16. It runs really well even on an o3ds and near perfect on a n3ds.
That aside, there's a reason that the n3ds can play those games (and official SNES virtual console) and the o3ds cannot- double the cores, double the RAM and more equates to a significantly stronger machine overall. You could theoretically get some of them (probably only one or two of them) running on an o3ds and if someone manages to reverse engineer a specific game and reroute all the stuff that would call to core 3 or 4 it would "work". "Work" in quotes because even an underclocked n3ds, which runs these at maybe 10-15 fps, is significantly more powerful than the o3ds.

Reactions: AmandaRose

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't use injections. Use SNES9x 3ds by Bubble2k16. It runs really well even on an o3ds and near perfect on a n3ds.
That aside, there's a reason that the n3ds can play those games (and official SNES virtual console) and the o3ds cannot- double the cores, double the RAM and more equates to a significantly stronger machine overall. You could theoretically get some of them (probably only one or two of them) running on an o3ds and if someone manages to reverse engineer a specific game and reroute all the stuff that would call to core 3 or 4 it would "work". "Work" in quotes because even an underclocked n3ds, which runs these at maybe 10-15 fps, is significantly more powerful than the o3ds.
You may want to check timestamps before posting things.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I may.
But when I see a "don't necrobump" post on a thread where the necrobumper was just a misguided noob, I am 100% inclined to necrobump even more.
Not exactly logical sense. but. the one you replied to was last seen in 2017. There wasn't really a point other than a waste of your own time to bother making that post.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly logical sense. but. the one you replied to was last seen in 2017. There wasn't really a point other than a waste of your own time to bother making that post.
eh, at the moment I've shifted into random mode
my brain is functioning off a long sequence of chewbacca defense arguments
arguably the only logical thing I've said in the last hour is that a ds emulator for new 3ds is plausible and would be pretty cool due to emulation bonuses- the rest is nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol
    +2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi