Is it possible to run OPL on the PS2 via SMB while using a 2.5" USB 3.0 1 TB external HDD connected to a nano router?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
And the slim model

PS2-Slim-Console-Set.png

I know.

The best option is Fat PS2 model with HDD, as the OPL Maximum theoretically speed for almost all devices in PS2 is:

• HDD ATA interface: ATA-66 (Roughly 66MB/s).
  • Ethernet interface: 100Mbit (Or 12.5MB/s).
  • USB 1.1 interface: 12Mbit (~1.5 MB/s).
  • CD/DVD drive: 24x speed CD-ROM [3.6 MB/s], 4x speed DVD-ROM [5.28 MB/s].
SMB fall under ethernet interface.

But my PS2 is Slim and I want to know the best option for it.

OP has a Slim (he said so earlier).
SMB is the best option IMHO, MX4SIO would be next in line if you don't want to buy a router and/or deal with the wires.

Thanks, I already use SMB.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,
Reactions: SylverReZ

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
SMB probably, you can also consider MX4SIO.

I definitely recommend one of those.

Like I said, I already use OPL via SMB and I still don't get it why PAL's The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer's first level's last FMV and second level's first FMV have a loud buzz-like noise when played from an external HDD connected to the laptop's USB port without enabling any OPL mode but the game's first level's last FMV has no issues and the game's second level's first FMV still has a loud buzz-like noise when played on OPL via SMB from the laptop's HDD without enabling any OPL mode.

What about MX4SIO's speed and PS2 game compatibility compared to SMB's?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I definitely recommend one of those.
I don't recommend MX4SIO, possibly because the only game that I ever use on my PS2 is buggy as hell with it and requires using USB controllers. You have to switch to virtual memory cards as well, which I don't normally use & I found it kinda slow.

I still don't get it why in my case games stutter if ran from an external HDD connected to my laptop and not of ran from my laptop. In both situations I use SMB.
When using SMB, the disk transfer speed, the disk interface speed, the cpu speed & the network controller speed will all affect what kind of latency and bandwidth you will get.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That is wrong. There is a reason people wants FAT PS2 before MX4SIO was a thing.

Again? You really aren't paying attention to what I said. I said that PAL's The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer's first level's last FMV and second level's first FMV have a loud buzz-like noise when played from an external HDD connected to the laptop's USB port without enabling any OPL mode but the game's first level's last FMV has no issues but the game's second level's first FMV still has a loud buzz-like noise when played on OPL via SMB from the laptop's HDD without enabling any OPL mode.

I wasn't saying running games on OPL via SMB was as fast as running them on OPL via the PS2's HDD/SSD/SSHD.

I don't recommend MX4SIO, possibly because the only game that I ever use on my PS2 is buggy as hell with it and requires using USB controllers. You have to switch to virtual memory cards as well, which I don't normally use & I found it kinda slow.

When using SMB, the disk transfer speed, the disk interface speed, the cpu speed & the network controller speed will all affect what kind of latency and bandwidth you will get.

I guess the external HDD's transfer and disk interface speeds are lower than the PC's HDD's.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
most people don't defrag at all. I feel it helps with FMV stutter. I would say, defrag it after you fill it the first time. Then only defrag it if you notice a game has stutter after adding and removing some games down the line.

so it comes with a 2A power supply but that just means that was the cheapest supply they could package with it that met or exceeded the power requirements. You'll just have to try it out and see. You're not going to break anything trying.

What about Windows saying it's not needed to defrag the PC's HDD and the external HDD? Should they be defragged, anyway?

He wants to start with 1TB. SD Cards may be cost prohibitive in this case.

That is wrong. There is a reason people wants FAT PS2 before MX4SIO was a thing.

I would assume that would be the case, when accessing external drives the data will have to go over usb & sata, while an internal drive only needs to go over either sata or nvme.

I followed this video, skept the "Quick Setup" part in, used "DHCP" instead of "Static" in "IP Address Type" and "192.168.0.1" in "Address Type" in OPL's Network Settings and it worked but PAL's The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer's first level's last FMV and second level's first FMV have a loud buzz-like noise when played from an external HDD connected to the nano router's USB port without enabling any OPL mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox